Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which Club Will Perform Badly Next Season?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have they confirmed Silva? If they do I'm happy to predict them to improve on this year's position and points tally. He's a huge improvement on Allardyce. Top 4 is a stretch though. It would be reliant on at least 3 of the top 6 having terrible (by their standards) seasons; now Wenger is gone the likelihood of that looks remote.

But even Everton do appoint someone universally acknowledged to be terrible (a la Pards?) I'd be reluctant to tip them to go down. The same couldn't be said if Chunky turned up at West Ham (again), or Newcastle (again) or here (shudder)

What do you reckon [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]?

I think that Silva or Fonseca will deliver more goals and attacking football. I mean, it couldn't be any worse than the no risks football of Allardyce/Pulis.

They'll have the massive advantage of no European games, (That helped give Chelsea the title in 2017 and Leicester in 2016, whilst their competitors played 60 odd games). So they might get lucky as a one off.

Equally, I can West Ham and/or Everton have the usual warfare between fans and management.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Fair play to Marco Silva, he's managed to build a brand for himself and massive reputation on very little evidence that he's any good. So much so that he's probably going to get a massive job at Everton and everyone thinks he's going to be the Messiah there after he's relegated Hull and would have taken Watford down. His management/PR are fantastic.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair play to Marco Silva, he's managed to build a brand for himself and massive reputation on very little evidence that he's any good. So much so that he's probably going to get a massive job at Everton and everyone thinks he's going to be the Messiah there after he's relegated Hull and would have taken Watford down. His management/PR are fantastic.

Indeed. His one "big" achievement according to wikipedia appears to be finishing 3rd with Sporting in what is essentially a 3 team league.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We beat Arsenal and Man Utd and drew with Spurs. That seems reasonable to me.

We were massively uncompetitive in the majority of games against top teams, too often more so than others in the second tier of the Premier League. If 7 points seems acceptable from 12 games we will always struggle.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
If we lose someone like Dunk and don’t recruit well, then the margins are fine enough for us to be right in the mix.

Aside from that, then statistically at least one of the promoted clubs would fail and Cardiff are most likely.

Watford, Saints, Huddersfield and good old chaos club West Ham would be other contenders.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
On a related question .. If it's us, what level of 'badly' is enough to offload CH? Bottom three and adrift or something else?

I don't even think relegation would dislodge CH as he will be seen as the man to get us back up into the PL if the worst happened.

He may choose to save his dignity and walk if we have an unexpected bottom 3 finish, but I don't believe TB will pull the trigger on him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

:lol:

Aided by the current craze on Portugese coaches.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If we lose someone like Dunk and don’t recruit well, then the margins are fine enough for us to be right in the mix.

Aside from that, then statistically at least one of the promoted clubs would fail and Cardiff are most likely.

Watford, Saints, Huddersfield and good old chaos club West Ham would be other contenders.

We're right in the mix, even with Dunk, from day one 2018/19 season. That's not pessimism, Hughton will quite rightly say similar. The moment PL clubs of Brighton's size think otherwise, that can spell a case of the WBA/Southampton/Stoke's.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Clearly player (and in some cases manager) recruitment makes this such a hypothetical question when talking about all the teams mentioned so far, but putting that to one side for now I genuinely think Burnley may struggle next season. Firstly because the Europa League could take its toll on their squad size but equally, while taking nothing away from their achievements this season they only scored 36 goals (only 4 more than the average of the bottom 6 clubs this season) and they found a good habit of grinding out draws or wins by the odd goal. That could easily go the other way next season if their defence struggles to hold firm like they have done this year. Even more so if Dyche is tempted into leaving.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Probably something like .....

Liverpool
City
Man U
Chelsea
Tottenham
West Ham
Arsenal
Newcastle
Everton
Wolves
Brighton
Southampton
Watford
Burnley
Palace
Leicester
Fulham/Villa
Cardiff
Bournemouth
Huddersfield

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably something like .....

Liverpool
City
Man U
Chelsea
Tottenham
West Ham
Arsenal
Newcastle
Everton
Wolves
Brighton
Southampton
Watford
Burnley
Palace
Leicester
Fulham/Villa
Cardiff
Bournemouth
Huddersfield

The bookies/markets show:

Couldn't fit the entire webpage in.

Man City odds on
Liverpool 5/1
IMG_2624.PNG

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Second season syndrome is a cliché. There is no evidence for it. Wike sets out SSS since 1982 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_season_syndrome - and this shows that there is no SSS in PL since QPR in 2013. To be fair, that is partly because promoted teams tend to be relegated in first season so SSS is really only a statistical quirk that if three teams survive first season, the chances are much higher that one of them will be relegated next. That is statistics, not a syndrome..

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Way too early to predict.
Anyone out of the top 6 could go pear shaped in no time.

This, looks like there will be a mass manager change over the summer so it is impossible to say. Looks like Everton, West Ham and Southampton are going to make 'progressive' appointments. This probably means that around Christmas the usual suspects will be drafted in to 'do a job'.

I quite like the idea of clubs only being able to change their manager in the transfer window.

We will be in the conversation again next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here