Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

Fancy providing the evidence of that ? To over rule a law new legislation must be passed ...... obviously by Parliament.

From the LSE :

"The final option is one which is, as yet, little discussed. There is, following the Court’s judgment, no doubt that it is legally possible. Parliament could simply pass legislation which instructs the Government to revoke Article 50. "

I'm feeling less and less confident about us actually leaving at the moment. It's a sad situation we find ourselves in, not helped by this 24/7 negativity.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Fancy providing the evidence of that ? To over rule a law new legislation must be passed ...... obviously by Parliament.

From the LSE :

"The final option is one which is, as yet, little discussed. There is, following the Court’s judgment, no doubt that it is legally possible. Parliament could simply pass legislation which instructs the Government to revoke Article 50. "

The only law that would need looking at is the Withdrawal act, and even then it is just the date that really needs amending, which can be done with secondary legislation by a minister.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DxMQVk7XgAAHF5t.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm feeling less and less confident about us actually leaving at the moment. It's a sad situation we find ourselves in, not helped by this 24/7 negativity.

I think you'll allowing a few loud remainers suggesting that Brexit is dead to get to you. As per my post you quoted, some of them don't seem to understand that legislation MUST be passed to stop us leaving on the 29th March - it would appear all of a sudden they don't understand what the process of passing legislation is or indeed how long it takes.

MPs next get a vote on this on the 29th Jan. That leaves 2 sitting days in January after that. There are 12 sitting days in February thanks to the recess ( there are rumours this will be cancelled but as yet this hasn't happened ) and finally 16 sitting days in March. That makes a grand total of 30 sitting days between now and leave day. Also remember parliament is in a muddle at the moment with no clear view. Tories won't shift, Labour are sulking and the other parties don't hold enough numbers to change anything by themselves. Unless someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat then we're leaving on the 29th March.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The only law that would need looking at is the Withdrawal act, and even then it is just the date that really needs amending, which can be done with secondary legislation by a minister.

Only if that is allowed in the original act ...... I've not read every word but I haven't seen where that was put into the original act.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think you'll allowing a few loud remainers suggesting that Brexit is dead to get to you. As per my post you quoted, some of them don't seem to understand that legislation MUST be passed to stop us leaving on the 29th March - it would appear all of a sudden they don't understand what the process of passing legislation is or indeed how long it takes.

MPs next get a vote on this on the 29th Jan. That leaves 2 sitting days in January after that. There are 12 sitting days in February thanks to the recess ( there are rumours this will be cancelled but as yet this hasn't happened ) and finally 16 sitting days in March. That makes a grand total of 30 sitting days between now and leave day. Also remember parliament is in a muddle at the moment with no clear view. Tories won't shift, Labour are sulking and the other parties don't hold enough numbers to change anything by themselves. Unless someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat then we're leaving on the 29th March.

I appreciate to an anarchist like you you're not bothered, but we're completely and utterly, utterly ****ed if we do and everything right now will look like the Teddy Bears picnic at Westminster and in the country at large if it happens.

You're the one who doesn't comprehend the myriad of legislation required to avoid total political chaos and legal, both domestic and internationally, limbo in the event of your no deal fantasy. It's not going to happen.

Still, anarchy in The UK and Brexit at any price and lets take The Republic of Ireland of down with us, eh? :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 22389

That's cleared up some doubts for me, thanks for this.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

The ruling I read a while back said that Article 50 could be revoked without legislation. That is, if the Government are instructed by Parliament to revoke it, they can do so. Given the clear majority not to leave with no deal, I suspect that this could be as late as they wish. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-cancel-stop-revoke-article-50-explained-remain-stay-eu-latest-parliament-theresa-may-a8690886.html

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nigel thinks the MEP elections in May will still take place. Apparently Nick Farage is looking for a new party to represent. Is he Nigel's brother?

[tweet]1086232491973722112[/tweet]

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well said.
The breakdown of trust and the disintegration of the accountability relationship of parliament to the public should not be underplayed and so easily dismissed as an irrelevance.

If members of the public have a problem with members of parliament then, as you have many times observed, they can vote them out. The formal accountability of MPs to voters has not changed - it remains as it always has done in our representative democracy. What has changed in recent days is that the mother of parliaments has regained some of the powers that have been lost over the years to an overweening executive - the bullying patronage of our political parties has been going on for decades but May's contemptible (literally) regime has been the worst.

If Brexit was reversed there would doubtless be some public disturbance. I understand that. Some MPs who feel that Brexit is not in the national interest may well have voted for May's deal on the basis that any such disturbances would be even less in the national interest. I understand that as well - although it does come dangerously close to mob rule acquiescence.

The latest YouGov poll shows that Remain's lead over Leave is now an historically high 11 points. That cannot be irrelevant surely. You have often said you have only contempt for those in favour of a further consultation but with the same poll implying that well over 20 million people want one surely most sane people will find it difficult to loathe a majority of the voting public. Perhaps the rioting would be less than some fear. Or hope.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

clutching-at-straws.jpg

Don't forget, patience is a virtue :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here