Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BTP appealing for witnesses of Anti-Semitic chanting

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Chants about killing Jews are disturbing [MENTION=12474]The Gem[/MENTION]. Have you forgotten we have a Jewish owner?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Chants about killing Jews are disturbing [MENTION=12474]The Gem[/MENTION]. Have you forgotten we have a Jewish owner?

What did they chant??

I agree its a terrible and horrible thing to chant, but its not disturbing.

No I haven't forgotten that either.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Do you think this country is becoming more or less tolerant? I sometimes wonder myself eg If I heard 4 pissed yooof saying Yid on public transport I’d just put it down to rivalry, drink and being boring / a bit thick and immature to think for themselves rather than calling them out as racists and making a police complaint.

I don't quite know what to make of this. Are you saying we should be more tolerant of intolerant people?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The prosecution for a hate crime by football fans would not be easy in the slightest. Many legal hurdles to even get to court, a mischievous defence team and it being laid down on the Jury at every step of the way “beyond reasonable doubt”.

If it was a racially aggravated POA. it would be heard in the magistrates court.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The person giving the quote saying it disturbed them is a tad over the top if they are not Jewish then !!!

Really? If I heard chants about killing Jews I would find it very disturbing. Most sane people would.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Really? If I heard chants about killing Jews I would find it very disturbing. Most sane people would.

Stop being so dramatic, I am totally sane in every way. I find the chants sick and derogatory, they don't disturb me, my father being rushed to hospital yesterday, after being home for 4 days after being in hospital for 5 weeks disturbs me.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

An interesting article, but I don't agree with what he's saying.

Language is all about context, in this context the word has evolved over time and I'm pretty sure that most Chelsea fans aren't singing about hating Jews when they sing their songs, they're singing about hating Tottenham. Yid army = Tottenham. I know there are some dodgy elements in their support, but I refuse to believe that every little scrote on the train singing about hating yids truly understands the historical context. Unfortunately for someone they're going to have to be made an example of to try an stamp it out.

I think if Spurs were rally serious about helping they would stop their fans from using the word as well. It's disingenuous to try and claim that when Chelsea fans use the word it applies to all Jews but when non-Jewish Tottenham fans sing it, it only applies to Tottenham. If you want to ban a word from use in any context then it has to apply across the board and that applies to Spurs fans as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here