Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today’s ref Stuart Attwell

Herr Ing Gull

Sep 3, 2014
He probably needed to be absolutely certain that it was likely that he might have. By the time he'd finished contemplating that the game had finished and everyone had gone home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The wording says nothing about being 'absolutely certain', just likelihood which I think everyone probably agrees was the case.
Just reporting what was said. I think Gallagher was just speaking on behalf of the referees' union too!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

It is a 'law is an ass' situation. If Alonso didn't consider it to be a clear goalscoring opportunity, why did he decide to commit a professional foul? It's stupid that referees are left to decide what might have happened. The offence should be judged upon intent. Had Stephens pulled down Hazard in the first half, it would have been because he thought he would score. If he had done so he would rightly have been sent off. Alonso took the decision to do it to March for the same reason and the law should treat him the same.

I agree with this, but I have to admit when it happened, I didn't feel it was as clear a goal-scoring opportunity as Hazard's. But I think your sentiment is spot on. I did think he (Attwell) was going to be OK when he allowed a couple of good challenges on Hazard in the first half, but after that he seemed to lose the plot a little. I hadnt seen the offside position of Alonso for the 1st goal until reading this thread - wow!. Its hard to imagine how a player in the centre of the 6 yeard box (just about) isn't interfering with play, and is it right that the assistant referee makes the call on "interfering" in that situation?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yep, I was right - Dermot 'the-ref-is-always-perfect' Gallagher cleared Attwell of everything. March didn't have the ball when he was pulled down, 'might' not have got it and 'might' not have scored, so not a red.......Knocky wasn't sufficiently in an attacking position to warrant a yellow card for pulling him down........

Sigh..............

So he said that March if he wasn't brought down might not of scored if he got to the ball. At what point does a referee decide would he have scored, does he take into account how much each player is worth and how good they are? Surely Stephens should have brought Hazzard down when he scored the second, if Attwell then got out a red card, could Dale not say he might not have scored?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So he said that March if he wasn't brought down might not of scored if he got to the ball. At what point does a referee decide would he have scored, does he take into account how much each player is worth and how good they are? Surely Stephens should have brought Hazzard down when he scored the second, if Attwell then got out a red card, could Dale not say he might not have scored?
If you read the sequence of posts from mine onwards, I clarified/corrected what I reported. March wasn't in possession of the ball and might not have got it. Still bollox, I know, but refs tend to stick together.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Until we become a top 6 side we will never get the benefit of a decision from Atwell

Indeed. Probably already mentioned in the previous 17 pages but there were 4 times when Atwell could and should have yellow carded Alonso. Three were against Knockeart, two pull backs and the snidely little forearm/elbow that caught Knockeart on the nose, which was may have been off the pitch, and the March pull back.

Poor referee favours so called ‘top 6 six side’ shock.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If you read the sequence of posts from mine onwards, I clarified/corrected what I reported. March wasn't in possession of the ball and might not have got it. Still bollox, I know, but refs tend to stick together.

I caught up with MOTD2 today as I was out on Sunday evening. Alan Shearer, when analysing the game, says he thinks March would have got it.
They also said Alonso was lucky to stay on the pitch, and that's without showing the elbow on Knocky's nose. It was the pullbacks they showed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here