Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking for an Albion fan from the LGBTQ community

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
I have no knowledge of the OP's motivation but, at a guess, I think they want a different and specific viewpoint.

Indeed. I don't see why that is so hard to understand. If a national newspaper wanted a Brighton fan to write a series of reports about our new season in the Prem, can you imagine the outcry on here if they picked a Palace STH to do it? The quality of the writing wouldn't enter into it. Sometimes who or what you are is relevant to the job.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. I don't see why that is so hard to understand. If a national newspaper wanted a Brighton fan to write a series of reports about our new season in the Prem, can you imagine the outcry on here if they picked a Palace STH to do it? The quality of the writing wouldn't enter into it. Sometimes who or what you are is relevant to the job.

Exactly.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Thick twats follow every club - even ours. It's just a shame, really.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Thick twats follow every club - even ours. It's just a shame, really.

Yes, they do... don't they. The same thick twats also leap out from behind PC hedge and start waving their fists at the mere thought of anything being questioned.

People who aren't thick ask questions. The people with the pitch forks were too focussed on defending the LQBTQ community than actually explaining the argument away.

So : a serious few questions. Let's talk about this with zero piss-taking for a moment and address the actual question in the OP's thread.

"Hi all, We're looking for another writer from the LGBTQ community to contribute to The Albion Mag. Our excellent existing columnist is moving north and will now focus his content on our friends from Newcastle."

We can draw from that the following :

As a football fan forum, full of football fans, for football fans, talking about football, the OP has specifically posted on here. You would therefore logically assume the post is football related, and is not about "the daily life of a Transgender man in Brighton" (and so on). Otherwise, you'd surely go onto the Gay Times board, or another LGBT forum and ask there. You don't specifically target a football fans forum if it's not about football, would you?

The writer has gone to Newcastle, and will now be writing about Newcastle. Again, with my simple football brain in gear whilst actually being on a football forum, you immediately think "Newcastle United".

The Albion Mag is about Football. Naturally, looking for someone to be a writer in/on it, unless specifically stated (which it wasn't by the OP) you'd assume this writer is being asked to write about BHAFC and Football. If this is the case - and at no single point has it been stated, by anyone, that it's not, then how does an LGBT's view of a football match differ? That was the question.

Explain to me how a Lesbian see's Knocky do a jinky run through the opposition defence differs from mine? How a transgender Man sees Bruno make a perfectly timed tackle differently to a straight man? A football fan is a football fan, why should it make a difference what they are gender and sexuality wise?

If the above is blatantly wrong, and the point has been completely missed, don't call people on here snowflakes or idiots - explain.

Talking about things rather than disappearing up your own arse in a huffy fit gets so much more done. We're all reasonable people on here. Make us understand what exactly the job is about - otherwise you'll just get us taking the piss. This is, to be honest, what we do best when left to our own devices... Educate us!

Over to you.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Make us understand what exactly the job is about - otherwise you'll just get us taking the piss. This is, to be honest, what we do best when left to our own devices... Educate us!

Over to you.

I already have, please see Post #51.

If further clarification is required, I'll provide it: the column is about life as an Albion fan from an LGBTQ perspective. Previous columns have talked about such things as the Albion's involvement in Pride, legislation against homophobic chanting and behaviour at football, a profile of Justin Fashanu, the prospect of openly-gay players etc...

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, they do... don't they. The same thick twats also leap out from behind PC hedge and start waving their fists at the mere thought of anything being questioned.

People who aren't thick ask questions. The people with the pitch forks were too focussed on defending the LQBTQ community than actually explaining the argument away.

So : a serious few questions. Let's talk about this with zero piss-taking for a moment and address the actual question in the OP's thread.

"Hi all, We're looking for another writer from the LGBTQ community to contribute to The Albion Mag. Our excellent existing columnist is moving north and will now focus his content on our friends from Newcastle."

As a football fan forum, full of football fans, for football fans, talking about football, the OP has specifically posted on here. You would therefore logically assume the post is football related, and is not about "the daily life of a Transgender man in Brighton" (and so on). Otherwise, you'd surely go onto the Gay Times board, or another LGBT forum and ask there. You don't specifically target a football fans forum if it's not about football, would you?

The writer has gone to Newcastle, and will now be writing about Newcastle. Again, with my simple football brain in gear whilst actually being on a football forum, you immediately think "Newcastle United".

The Albion Mag is about Football. Naturally, looking for someone to be a writer in/on it, unless specifically stated (which it wasn't by the OP) you'd assume this writer is being asked to write about BHAFC and Football. If this is the case - and at no single point has it been stated, by anyone, that it's not, then how does an LGBT's view of a football match differ? That was the question.

Explain to me how a Lesbian see's Knocky do a jinky run through the opposition defence differs from mine? How a transgender Man sees Bruno make a perfectly timed tackle differently to a straight man? A football fan is a football fan, why should it make a difference what they are gender and sexuality wise?

If the above is blatantly wrong, and the point has been completely missed, don't call people on here snowflakes or idiots - explain.

Talking about things rather than disappearing up your own arse in a huffy fit gets so much more done. We're all reasonable people on here. Make us understand what exactly the job is about - otherwise you'll just get us taking the piss. This is, to be honest, what we do best when left to our own devices... Educate us!

Over to you.

In general you seem to post utter drivel but that's a good post. I hope this is the start of a continuing trend for you.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Over to you.

What I took from the OP is that they have a special column in the magazine decidated to getting the perpective from a community that has typically been 'outsiders' in the world of football. This is a interesting perspective to have considering a) the city we live in and b) the way our fans our treated across the country. It's also perspective that a straight person cannot provide.

Football discussion isn't solely about the football, it's about the atmosphere, the context, the community, the fanbase etc etc. If you've ever read a programme I'm sure you've realised that not every single column is about football.

The newcastle part I think was just poor working on the part of the OP, but I understood it to be that they are moving up north to provide a perspective of albion supporters that are exiled in other parts of the country - perhaps I have misinterpreted that too.

Last edited:

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
That is correct - TAM aims to cover, and indeed succeeds in covering, our club and fanbase from a whole range of perspectives....

That's not quite as crystal clear as you think Frutos. It passed plenty of people by...

So, you're after a LBGTQ non-Albion fan to cover the supporting of BHAFC from exactly which perspectives? "homophobia at football" - or "what can Brighton & Hove Albion do for the LGBT community" ??

Help us understand. That might get people to come forward if they understand exactly what it's about..

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
That's not quite as crystal clear as you think Frutos. It passed plenty of people by...

So, you're after a LBGTQ non-Albion fan to cover the supporting of BHAFC from exactly which perspectives? "homophobia at football" - or "what can Brighton & Hove Albion do for the LGBT community" ??

Help us understand. That might get people to come forward if they understand exactly what it's about..

I note you didn't quote the part of my post where I provided examples of the content of previous columns, specifically to help clarify what this is about.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I note you didn't quote the part of my post where I provided examples of the content of previous columns, specifically to help clarify what this is about.

"That is correct - TAM aims to cover, and indeed succeeds in covering, our club and fanbase from a whole range of perspectives, as anyone who has read the magazine can attest."

This one? That's the other part of post 51. I can't see any examples?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
"That is correct - TAM aims to cover, and indeed succeeds in covering, our club and fanbase from a whole range of perspectives, as anyone who has read the magazine can attest."

This one? That's the other part of post 51. I can't see any examples?

Try this one, it's Post #70 and it is one you've obviously read because it's the one which pointed you at Post #51.

I already have, please see Post #51.

If further clarification is required, I'll provide it: the column is about life as an Albion fan from an LGBTQ perspective. Previous columns have talked about such things as the Albion's involvement in Pride, legislation against homophobic chanting and behaviour at football, a profile of Justin Fashanu, the prospect of openly-gay players etc...

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If nit-picking is your thing - on post 70, you pointed out you'd already explained everything on post 51. You hadn't.

You have now, though. So let's put that one away. :smile:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Over to you.

The obvious example of difference is regarding ‘Kick It Out’ – specifically tackling the culture of homophobia in football. While ones sexuality shouldn’t necessarily define ones response to homophobia, it makes sense to me that people from the LGBT community will have a different perspective and more importantly a different experience of these issues which defines their response and is well worth hearing about. But I think that the benefit of diversity of opinion applies to all areas – not just LGBT issues themselves.

It’s not that anyone sees a Knockaert dribble or Bruno tackle in a different way, but their written response to it may well be different. When you’re writing you’re refracting the subject through yourself, a self which will have been slowly constructed over the years by your upbringing, experience, culture and (particularly in this case) by community. Thus your subject matter, your language, your take, your output is defined as much by who you are as it is by what you’re writing about.

Having said that I’ve got nowt to do with TAM so their motives may well be different.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I absolutely agree. All a bit odd.
Not at all. It's a magazine by fans for fans and represents different viewpoints. All can be covered in this excellent publication and the more diverse the perspectives the better.

Question: if the request was for a disabled fan to write about issues specifically affecting disabled fans at football or their match day experience would this request also be "very odd"?

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Question: if the request was for a disabled fan to write about issues specifically affecting disabled fans at football or their match day experience would this request also be "very odd"?

No, because a physical disability is something you can see. You can watch a wheelchair user struggle if somewhere isn't wheelchair friendly. You can watch someone with a prosthetic limb struggle to walk up steep and narrow stairs, or pick something heavy up. It's easy to understand.

Being LGBT is a mental thing, which means it needs explaining to people who don't understand. Calmly, rationally, and without getting defensive.

I encountered a lot of racism at school in Bradford in the 1970's. I asked my Hindu mate "what's it all about Mub?". His Mum and Dad invited me round for a traditional indian lunch, he explained all the idols, why he prayed, who to - and answered every question I had. What a legend he and his family were. So, from there on, every time I encountered comments like "yeah, they pray to elephants, innit" I could explain. I was informed, so I could rationalise.

This isn't a parliamentary debate - it's a load of blokes on a football forum, but it all starts somewhere I suppose.

[MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION]. Thank you for your kind comments, although I'm struggling to give a toss. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here