Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell End Bike Rider!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It's clearly not serious. Every time there's a cyclist thread the same old cliched complaints come up. 'Why don't they pay road tax?', 'Why do they cycle on the road when there's a perfectly good cycle lane?', 'Why do they ignore traffic lights?' etc. All clearly ignorant, Daily Mail-esque bollocks.
[MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] was broadening the range of ridiculous, cliched, reactionary questions.

So why do cyclists cycle on the road when there's a perfectly good cycle lane?

Doesn't seem an unreasonable question to me....

And yes I'm a cyclist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

And yes I'm a cyclist.

For me, personally, I don't cycle on cycle paths because they are not fit for my purpose.

Shared cycle/pedestrian paths differentiated by coloured tarmac isn't designed for 20+mph cycling.
(Unfortunately for car drivers it seems many roads aren't designed for 20+mph driving either, at the moment).
Obviously out with the kids etc where there's a path, we use it.

Also many paths appear to be laid more as a number crunching government exercise than part of an integrated transport policy.

A classic example of this is Climping, t'other side of Littlehampton.
From west to east, the cricket club to the river, there is a massive wide lovely cycle path, that never gets used.
It doesn't get used because at the river bridge not only does the path stop, so does the tarmac, there's nothing other than the road to safely take the cyclist into L'ton.
The road is wide enough to ride and drive, but that doesn't stop a few nimrods shouting as they drive past, which I understand, it's bloody frustrating.

To make matters worse the council are doubling down, spending x millions extending the path through to Flansham next to a dead straight, flat, hardly cycled, wide road, making 5 miles of unused path ending at a grass verge 1 mile from anywhere.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
For me, personally, I don't cycle on cycle paths because they are not fit for my purpose.

Shared cycle/pedestrian paths differentiated by coloured tarmac isn't designed for 20+mph cycling.
(Unfortunately for car drivers it seems many roads aren't designed for 20+mph driving either, at the moment).
Obviously out with the kids etc where there's a path, we use it.

Also many paths appear to be laid more as a number crunching government exercise than part of an integrated transport policy.

A classic example of this is Climping, t'other side of Littlehampton.
From west to east, the cricket club to the river, there is a massive wide lovely cycle path, that never gets used.
It doesn't get used because at the river bridge not only does the path stop, so does the tarmac, there's nothing other than the road to safely take the cyclist into L'ton.
The road is wide enough to ride and drive, but that doesn't stop a few nimrods shouting as they drive past, which I understand, it's bloody frustrating.

To make matters worse the council are doubling down, spending x millions extending the path through to Flansham next to a dead straight, flat, hardly cycled, wide road, making 5 miles of unused path ending at a grass verge 1 mile from anywhere.

Interesting thanks.

It's funny you mention the path in Climping because that was one of the ones I was thinking about.

I would say though that from personal experience that road is not wide enough to both ride and drive when cars are travelling in both directions. When my daughter was learning to drive we had to follow a cyclist all the way from the roundabout by the cricket club to the Tesco roundabout. She was the first car behind the cyclist and simply couldn't get past. It was very stressful with huge train of cars behind.

Yes - I was irritated by it - but at least understand a bit more now. [emoji106]

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We all complain about little Tarquin being driven the 2 miles to school, by mummy in her massive off-road type car, but how many posters would say their local schools are 'attached' to decent cycle paths?

Of the half a dozen schools in my area 1 has decent access from 1 direction.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Cyclists should show consideration and if they notice a huge trail of cars building up behind them. Just pull over, if it's safe to do so and let a few cars go by, keep the traffic flowing. It's not rocket science. Like in a traffic jam, let a few cars out of side streets here and there as it keeps things moving.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interesting thanks.

It's funny you mention the path in Climping because that was one of the ones I was thinking about.

I would say though that from personal experience that road is not wide enough to both ride and drive when cars are travelling in both directions. When my daughter was learning to drive we had to follow a cyclist all the way from the roundabout by the cricket club to the Tesco roundabout. She was the first car behind the cyclist and simply couldn't get past. It was very stressful with huge train of cars behind.

Yes - I was irritated by it - but at least understand a bit more now. [emoji106]

There's always going to be 'issues' based on the cyclists, drivers and vehicles concerned.

Annoyingly you can almost see the train station from the bridge.
In Holland that path would take you straight to the station, where there'd be 10 times the bike racks, and hardly any cars on the road.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

And yes I'm a cyclist.

And a very good question.
I can not get my head around cyclists not using cycle lanes. :shrug:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

And yes I'm a cyclist.

I don't know of any!

Any in particular? The one from Piddinghoe to Lewes and the one from Falmer to Woodingdean are both made of loose gravel, and therefore instant punctures if you're on a road bike. They are also shared use and therefore full of children and unrestrained dogs.

The one from Ringmer to Lewes would be decent but is chock-full of pedestrians and dogs.

The one from Lewes to Beddingham looks pretty good but the only time I tried to cycle it some bloke with three toddlers was walking down it and I had to stop. The A27 at this point is wide enough to cycle on without holding up traffic anyway.

The ones in Brighton, around the Old Steine, are completely useless, as they are virtually impossible to follow and stop abruptly.

The one on Dyke Road is full of parked cars, except for a few sections where it is full of drains and potholes.

The one along Brighton seafront is full of tourists looking everywhere but where they're going.

They have fantastic cycle paths everywhere else in Europe, but not here.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Cyclists should show consideration and if they notice a huge trail of cars building up behind them. Just pull over, if it's safe to do so and let a few cars go by, keep the traffic flowing. It's not rocket science. Like in a traffic jam, let a few cars out of side streets here and there as it keeps things moving.

I absolutely agree with this. But it's far more often a problem with cars, tractors, mopeds, etc. than it is with bikes. It is usually possible to get past a bike safely and quickly, whereas I get stuck behind people driving at 20 - 30mph on the way to work nearly every day and have to live with it. They have these signs in Scotland and I think they should be introduced here.

allow-overtaking-sign-on-narrow-road-b93jdp.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's so rare though, I cycle all over Sussex, will wave cars passed if I can see ahead is clear, but I've never experienced cars stuck behind me for more than a minute or two at most. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that in my experience it's very rare.

Because there's some arse'ol of a bloke (not an old boy, prob about 40) that wants to stop every cyclists using the one at Saltdean aggressively "asking" why don't you use the road?. And wasting 10 minutes of my time each time, as I try to explain in a measured tone (although that gets testing) that what I'm doing is perfectly legal. So sometimes it's easier to use the road and wash off some of the mayonnaise, eggs, tomatoes etc that I've had thrown at my back from passing cars. (Despite the fact I generally stay legal, are well lit up and nothing like the cyclist in the opening post)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The ones in Brighton, around the Old Steine, are completely useless, as they are virtually impossible to follow and stop abruptly

I think after a decade I've finally worked it out! It is the most shocking and obvious tick box exercise where the only question answered is 'have you provided a cycle lane?'. The next question of 'is it useable and fit for purpose?' is most definitely not.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's so rare though, I cycle all over Sussex, will wave cars passed if I can see ahead is clear, but I've never experienced cars stuck behind me for more than a minute or two at most. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that in my experience it's very rare.

Quite. Because a bike isn't difficult to overtake. The only time I've had a difficulty is on the C7 when I've been behind a London to Paris charity bike ride crawling along at a snail's pace laden with panniers.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Funny thing is on these threads, I am a driver and a cyclist, so I usually end up defending the cyclist or explaining their point of view, and what is funny, that as a cyclist - other cyclists can piss me right off when I'm on my bike! It isn't the preserve of motorists to be annoyed by cyclists. When I'm on my bike, they can be weaving about, not paying attention, unable to realise another cyclist is behind them etc.

To be fair, as a road user on any given day you can get annoyed by just about anyone else on the road, whether car, truck, horse, tractor, bike etc. etc. We all could do with slowing down a bit, and just being prepared to tolerate idiots (because whatever you talk about, human beings have a percentage of idiots in every category), and just be prepared to share the road a bit better.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The last place I want cars is behind me, where I can't see them.
Sometimes there's not much I can do about it say climbing a hill with just a grass verge for company.

As is the usual mantra on these threads an idiot is an idiot irrespective of their mode of transport.

Today I tried to keep count, for the record I:-

- Had at least 5 acknowledgements from grateful drivers.
- Lost count of the number of waves/thumbs up acknowledgements I gave to courteous drivers.
- Allowed 2 cars to pass, 4 lorries yesterday.
- Was told "thank you very much, that was perfect" by a horse rider.

All in all a good ride out. (except for descending too fast into a blind left turn...the less said about that the better)

I pretty much always come down on the side of us drivers when incidents like the OP's one occurs, probably due to the incredibly low esteem I hold us drivers in.
I take poor cycling personally as I feel it effects me personally.
I'm left thinking here we go another driver who'll no longer see me, but see a target instead, c'est la vie.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Speaking as a cyclist and a driver, I think there is a definite problem caused by cyclists with no prior road experience being able to just jump on their bike and head out onto Britain's roads. I did my cycling proficiency test at school and wish it, or something similar, was mandatory before being allowed to cycle on the road. The number of cyclists I see whilst walking through London who seemingly have no knowledge of the highway code or road signs is incredible, and I simply don't believe that all of them are just willingly contravening them.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't know of any!

Any in particular? The one from Piddinghoe to Lewes and the one from Falmer to Woodingdean are both made of loose gravel, and therefore instant punctures if you're on a road bike. They are also shared use and therefore full of children and unrestrained dogs.

The one from Ringmer to Lewes would be decent but is chock-full of pedestrians and dogs.

The one from Lewes to Beddingham looks pretty good but the only time I tried to cycle it some bloke with three toddlers was walking down it and I had to stop. The A27 at this point is wide enough to cycle on without holding up traffic anyway.

The ones in Brighton, around the Old Steine, are completely useless, as they are virtually impossible to follow and stop abruptly.

The one on Dyke Road is full of parked cars, except for a few sections where it is full of drains and potholes.

The one along Brighton seafront is full of tourists looking everywhere but where they're going.

They have fantastic cycle paths everywhere else in Europe, but not here.

Newhaven to Seaford.
I know if I still cycled or decided to take up cycling again I would use that cycle path. It's well away from the road and well away from that dangerous part of the A259.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Newhaven to Seaford.
I know if I still cycled or decided to take up cycling again I would use that cycle path. It's well away from the road and well away from that dangerous part of the A259.

Still full of dog walkers when I've tried it and the A26 there is pretty good. If the rest of the A26 up to Lewes was that wide and smooth we'd all get along just fine :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here