Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell End Bike Rider!

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
What are you on about?

I merely said it would be better on another Sunday.

Don't worry Murray, they obviously didn't read your post properly!!!
Let's have the Brighton to London bike ride next year on Mothering Sunday! Could you imagine the carnage going down the Beacon, what a joy to behold!!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't worry Murray, they obviously didn't read your post properly!!!
Let's have the Brighton to London bike ride next year on Mothering Sunday! Could you imagine the carnage going down the Beacon, what a joy to behold!!

Oh I read it properly, both posts, hence no need for a reply.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Why is there no Straight Pride? that's what I wanna know.

If this is a serious post then it's probably something to do with the fact that straight people haven't been persecuted, marginalised and even murdered for their sexuality down the years, and it is still happening today, so there isn't really any need for a straight pride.

Cyclists get it in the neck on here, and sometimes it's justified, but those that are implying car drivers don't even fart in the bath want to get themselves down to Telscombe Cliffs school in the morning, you'll see mobiles being used while driving, parking across driveways, driving on the pavement and usually the woman who can now after a lot of practice negotiate the corner of Central and St Peters Avenue without spilling a drop of her coffee. What puzzles me most is the sunnier the day the more cars there are.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Cyclists get it in the neck on here, and sometimes it's justified, but those that are implying car drivers don't even fart in the bath want to get themselves down to Telscombe Cliffs school in the morning

That, unfortunately, happens outside most schools.

I think the reason cyclists get such a hard time is because, although there are many bad drivers around, the percentage of cyclists who disregard the rules of the road is much higher than the percentage of drivers who do the same.

I know the cyclists on here will disagree, but I would say that as much as 50% of cyclists commit one or more of these offences regularly : cycling through a red light; cycling on the pavement to avoid a red light; cycling at night with no lights; cycling over pedestrian crossings when there is someone on or about to cross it; cycling whilst holding a bag of shopping in one hand; cycling the wrong way down a one-way road.

I've seen cyclists and drivers on the phone (more drivers admittedly), and I'm appalled by drivers who eat, drink and do whatever else whilst driving> However, I think that whilst there are many more drivers than cyclists on the road, the % of good drivers is much higher than the % of bad ones, which I don't believe is the case with cyclists.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
That, unfortunately, happens outside most schools.

I think the reason cyclists get such a hard time is because, although there are many bad drivers around, the percentage of cyclists who disregard the rules of the road is much higher than the percentage of drivers who do the same.

I know the cyclists on here will disagree, but I would say that as much as 50% of cyclists commit one or more of these offences regularly : cycling through a red light; cycling on the pavement to avoid a red light; cycling at night with no lights; cycling over pedestrian crossings when there is someone on or about to cross it; cycling whilst holding a bag of shopping in one hand; cycling the wrong way down a one-way road.

I've seen cyclists and drivers on the phone (more drivers admittedly), and I'm appalled by drivers who eat, drink and do whatever else whilst driving> However, I think that whilst there are many more drivers than cyclists on the road, the % of good drivers is much higher than the % of bad ones, which I don't believe is the case with cyclists.

How many drivers speed? 100% I'd say. How many fail to drive as taught? 100%. How many drivers are so impatient that they'd risk the safety of other road users, pretty damn high. How many drivers think that they have to immediately overtake cyclists regardless of road conditions and oncoming traffic, well over 50% in my experience. No wonder cyclist go on the pavement.

Reason cyclists get a hard time is that there are far more drivers who never cycle than cyclists that don't drive. There's a complete lack of any form of understanding of what it is to cycle from many drivers. I drive a lot. I also cycle a lot. I still fail to see cyclists at times because you are so cocooned in a car. I never fail to see cars or pedestrians when on my bike.

There are twats who walk, twats who drive, twats who cycle and twats that rarely go out. The mode of transport doesn't dictate. it's the person.

Ultimately though when you consider the impact of a driver on the phone, speeding, eating, not concentrating or otherwise driving badly you are looking at fatalities of others. Completely different outcome when cyclists cycle badly.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
No wonder cyclist go on the pavement.

I take your points, and debates like these can go on for pages. However, I would make a couple of points about cyclists not choosing certain actions for their own safety, but rather their own convenience.

When cyclists pull up at lights, in the cyclist bay, realise that they may have to wait a minute or two, so decide to either cycle through the red, or cycle on the pavement. Or when they cycle the wrong way down a one-way road. I cycle too, but when I reach one of these roads, I'm old-fashioned, and I get off and push.

Cycling on the pavement is for young children. There are plenty of adults round my way who cycle on the pavement, and don't cycle slowly or carefully either. If you want to walk, you use the pavement, if you want to cycle, you use a cycle lane (another debate I know) or road.

I realise there are good and bad of both, but this debate started with someone describing an action by a cyclist which most people, and probably even most cyclists, would describe as unnecessary. This (quite serious) cyclist didn't appear to be holding up the traffic for his own safety, but rather to be antagonistic.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
There are certainly twats that are cyclists. Equally there's an element of self preservation regarding moving forward from lights before they change and on cycling on pavements in narrow roads rather than being close passed repeatedly.

It really boils down to consideration rather than hard and fast rules.

Question I ask myself is whether someone held up by a slow driver would have taken the time to post his experiences on NSC? There is a very strange passion for expressing hatred of cyclists. Really quite odd.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The fella the OP mentions was being a twunt. No question.

Some people get pissy knickered over anyone on two wheels, but in my experience, its the non lycra-clad ninjas who do the offending. They are the ones I see who are cyclists when it suits but covert to pedestrians when it doesn't so hop onto pavements or run red lights.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If this is a serious post then it's probably something to do with the fact that straight people haven't been persecuted, marginalised and even murdered for their sexuality down the years, and it is still happening today, so there isn't really any need for a straight pride.

It's clearly not serious. Every time there's a cyclist thread the same old cliched complaints come up. 'Why don't they pay road tax?', 'Why do they cycle on the road when there's a perfectly good cycle lane?', 'Why do they ignore traffic lights?' etc. All clearly ignorant, Daily Mail-esque bollocks.
[MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] was broadening the range of ridiculous, cliched, reactionary questions.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

No. It's not serious.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here