Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC3 boss might need to do some explaining

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This is an article on the Beeb website. Very interesting but the heading is deeply insensitive and the main article makes some very dubious assertions IMO. I'm not calling for a lynch mob but think that someone needs to explain the purpose and content.

Capture.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/3216b48d-3195-4f67-8149-54586689ae3c

From the article: "I went to the university GP the next day. I said, “I’m a paedophile. Can this be cured?” The conventional view of paedophilia is that it’s an incurable condition. But this doctor laughed - he laughed! And he said, “Of course it’s curable.”

Is this true?

"...Paedophilia is not understood. People think paedophilia is synonymous with child sexual abuse."

I'm no expert but as far as I was aware: Paedophilia = sexual attraction to children. Children cannot give consent to sex, ergo an adult who has sex with a child has abused them. I've had a few beers but am I over-analysing this?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm no expert but as far as I was aware: Paedophilia = sexual attraction to children. Children cannot give consent to sex, ergo an adult who has sex with a child has abused them. I've had a few beers but am I over-analysing this?

probably a bit. the article doesnt argue against "Paedophilia = sexual attraction to children", rather that it doesnt necessarily mean someone who is a peadophile has abused children. its rather bold article, risking normalising it as just another sexual preference. and maybe there is an arguement it is, and raises interesting questions about "treatment". all a bit heavy for a TV channel supposed to be promoting new programming.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The writer is referring specifically to non- offending paedophiles.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
When people act on it is when they cross the line, it turns from an often unwanted mental state to a crime.

There are more people than you think that have an attraction to children and they are horrified by it, much like the person in this article and do everything they can to stop it.
In my view it is a mental illness that can be cured. But it needs to be dealt with before people act on it.

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

There's a very good documentary on Netflix on this. It's argued that like people are naturally attracted to the same sex, the opposite sex, fat people, old people etc, some are naturally attracted to kids. Logically it makes sense. The key here is attraction doesn't mean following that up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Your Mum

Dec 22, 2016
There's a very good documentary on Netflix on this. It's argued that like people are naturally attracted to the same sex, the opposite sex, fat people, old people etc, some are naturally attracted to
your mum.
Logically it makes sense. The key here is attraction doesn't mean following that up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

larus

When people act on it is when they cross the line, it turns from an often unwanted mental state to a crime.

There are more people than you think that have an attraction to children and they are horrified by it, much like the person in this article and do everything they can to stop it.
In my view it is a mental illness that can be cured. But it needs to be dealt with before people act on it.

I'm curious as to where this 'fact' comes from.

larus

It's a known fact that there are support groups for the people I have described.

If you are intimating that I'm attracted to children, don't worry I'm not.

But you said "more than you think", which would imply more that you had some knowledge more than others, I.e.beyond the support groups. It comes across as "I know things that you don't know" type of post, so hence the curiosity. So, the reality is you don't know more than the rest of us. Gotcha :lol
:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Blimey that's quite a read.

Imagine fancying children, hating yourself for it and desperately trying to not act on it. People in that situation are probably way to worried to ask for help so try and cope on their own. I believe there's some very interesting help/support/therapy available in Germany for people who feel like this.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

I don't think it's a mental illness, it's a predilection that contravenes our current social mores.

In medieval times homosexuality was tolerated and then the Victorians deemed it unacceptable and it is now tolerated.

In our distant past and in some cultures up until very recently, cannibalism was commonplace. Now it seems abhorrent.

In our past it was common practice to marry a female at onset of menstruation, in other cultures adults would have sex with their offspring.In some current day cultures children as young as 12 are married. In Britain today this is totally unacceptable.

In all those instances, the current societies values determine what was/is acceptable.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

I agree with most of your post but I disagree with your opinion that paedophilia can be cured. If that is the case then by the same token homosexuality and even heterosexuality can be "cured". I suppose it depends on what aspect you view as being cured. In all three they exist on three levels. 1. Physical attraction but not acted upon by choice. 2. Physical attraction but not acted upon by lack of opportunity. 3. Physical attraction and acted upon. So the only constant which defines each of those sexual preferences is physical attraction. Even if the desire is taken away as i assume is the case with chemical castration it probably doesn't remove who you are attracted to whether that be opposite sex, same sex or children so in essence you would still remain a paedophile mentally but without the ability or desire. A heterosexual serial rapist who undergoes chemical castration still I assume remains a heterosexual after castration, but no longer a (practicing) rapist. However it has just occured to me that some form of aversion therapy could be used where you are made to see children as physically repellant. It would be the opposite way of how therapy is used to combat people's phobias like their fear of spiders. If you can use therapy to make something appear less repulsive to you as in the case of a spider phobia then logically you can use it to the opposite effect to make something which you find attractive appear physically or sexually repulsive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here