Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Marathon course 146m too short

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As I said she uses the little local runs as part of her training.

I wouldn't bother, these are people that have done 1 or 2 marathons and a couple of 5k's round Hove park on a Sunday morning and think they are Zola Bud. Clueless.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You're getting sucked in. Keep it up. Is your Christian name Ben?

Nah, just don't buy in to the whole thing of running is absolutely fantastic for you, really interesting and every race is organised perfectly. Or more that I don't buy into people dismissing people who may actually know better than them just because you have jogged round the park a few times.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nah, just don't buy in to the whole thing of running is absolutely fantastic for you, really interesting and every race is organised perfectly. Or more that I don't buy into people dismissing people who may actually know better than them just because you have jogged round the park a few times.

I was thinking more of some of the other runners you're dismissing on this thread, rather than myself. Failed knees from marathons sounds very Daily Mail to me.:thumbsup:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I wouldn't bother, these are people that have done 1 or 2 marathons and a couple of 5k's round Hove park on a Sunday morning and think they are Zola Bud. Clueless.

Not sure that would apply to [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] somehow. Sounds like you read the BG book of fact checking.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

There used to be this bloke called Nibble that posted on here loads who used a similarly dismissive style when he knew approximately 10% of what he thought he did. I even think BINFEST might have been named after him. Wonder what happened to that geezer? Strange chap.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not sure that would apply to [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] somehow. Sounds like you read the BG book of fact checking.

Exactly and he's arguing with me and my running history! In 1972 a knocky little U-12 runner took Steve Ovett's Brighton and Hove Schools 400m record at Withdean Stadium a place [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] has maybe never been to. Still what I do know about running is that [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] thrashed me in our last Brighton Marathon and that hurts....more than my knees ever have.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Exactly and he's arguing with me and my running history! In 1972 a knocky little U-12 runner took Steve Ovett's Brighton and Hove Schools 400m record at Withdean Stadium a place [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] has maybe never been to. Still what I do know about running is that [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] thrashed me in our last Brighton Marathon and that hurts....more than my knees ever have.

Aside from watching Albion there I used to run there very regularly.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

It's good to have you and know you are still wound up about it!!

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As I said she uses the little local runs as part of her training.

They're absolutely not measured accurately - things like the 20-odd races in the West Sussex fun run league for example (mostly 'about 5 miles'), the Lewes 10k, Newick 10k, Mince Pie 10m etc etc etc. They're organised by local running clubs and distances are approximate and they only cost a few quid to enter. Add to these all of the local trail events - Beach Head marathon (25.6 miles, woo hoo, a bit short, who gives a ****), the Arun River marathon (28.2 miles, same) etc etc. There are loads of them.

They're not very large, corporate, city-centre half marathons with thousands of entrants with large entry fees like the Brighton half and Brighton marathon and used for serious athletes to set times and qualify for other events. Hence the need for these to meet the very basic requirement of getting the ****ing distance right.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Well I was 18 stone with crap knees before I started running. 15 years on, 12 stone, no knee issues and running 2000 miles a year I know what works best for me.

I'll carry on 'jogging round the park a few times' if that's ok with you.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] could do with the course being a few yards shorter this year. That way he might get his time under four hours with no extra effort. :lolol:

I watched him go over the line last year. I think Mr Clamp should show a little more respect for the hard yards NSCers put in. I think having the course precisely correct matters.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well I was 18 stone with crap knees before I started running. 15 years on, 12 stone, no knee issues and running 2000 miles a year I know what works best for me.

I'll carry on 'jogging round the park a few times' if that's ok with you.

That's impressive and to be commended as is Knocky's 400m record.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They're absolutely not measured accurately - things like the 20-odd races in the West Sussex fun run league for example (mostly 'about 5 miles'), the Lewes 10k, Newick 10k, Mince Pie 10m etc etc etc. They're organised by local running clubs and distances are approximate and they only cost a few quid to enter. Add to these all of the local trail events - Beach Head marathon (25.6 miles, woo hoo, a bit short, who gives a ****), the Arun River marathon (28.2 miles, same) etc etc. There are loads of them.

They're not very large, corporate, city-centre half marathons with thousands of entrants with large entry fees like the Brighton half and Brighton marathon and used for serious athletes to set times and qualify for other events. Hence the need for these to meet the very basic requirement of getting the ****ing distance right.

That is good to read so obviously she wasn't having me on. I would think most of them that you mention are innocently advertised as Half marathon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here