Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
So you didn't write 'If you think the Germans are mass murderers' vote Brexit?Did some big boys hijack your keyboard and then run away?
You seem to suggest that because things happened in the 20th century,they don't matter any more,saying I need to move into the current century.As you seem to be such a forgiving person,can I ask your views on other bad things that happened over 17 years ago-should they all be forgiven now?
There is nobody alive today from when the British (not just English) were involved in the slave trade,whereas germans are still being prosecuted for the Holocaust,so your comparison is utterly pointless.

Firstly, your original reading of Lincoln Imp was a bit perverse.

And secondly, Everybody knows and acknowledges that the Germans did horrible things during the war. Are you going to hold that against the entire nation now, when just about the whole nation to a man/woman would abhor what was done by their country up to 1945, and the vast majority of them were not even born, let alone contributed to it.

Thirdly, the main reason for the Iron and Steel Trades Confederation, which was the predecessor of the Common Market and the EU, was originally developed soon after the war precisely to get European Countries to work together and avoid further war, which was seen by both the French and the Germans as a very real possibility still in the late 1940's.

All that is fairly good reason why plenty of people with a sense of history are pro-Europe. My Father and my Father-in-law both said that they fought in the war to bring peace in the longer term, and were both fervently pro-Europe.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think he has turned up under another alto ego after being challenged with the 50 REMF bet

A challenge he has yet to take up I see !!!! Calling [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] ..... where are you ?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Your grasp of demographics is a bit weak,but then you Remoaners aren't very good with numbers are you,tending to make them up as you go along and hope nobody notices!So in this spirit of forgiveness,can the Sun be forgiven for all it's alleged heinous crimes prior to 2001?Bill Archer?IRA?Tony Bliar?
My word you're REALLY stupid aren't you, but you think you're really clever.

I think I've got it. You are Glenn Hoddle and I claim my five pounds. [emoji1]

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Don't panic! David Davis has everything under control. Oh....

"David Davis's single market stance 'not government policy'"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...is-single-market-stance-not-government-policy

So how are things going over the past seven days? May is marginalised at the G20 talks, Kerry holds top level meetings with France and Germany but not the UK, the Americans put the EU and Pacific Rim countries above the UK in the trade talk rankings, the Indians are furious with us, the Chinese ambivalent, the Japanese threaten to pull the plug on inward investment and the Swiss point out that they've been trying to get a comprehensive services deal with the EU for years and years and so far haven't concluded one. And Lloyds of London have dropped another hint that they are seriously considering moving to another European centre if the UK loses its passporting rights to the EU. Presumably they'll change their name. Ken Clarke called the "leave the single market" brigade lunatics. I don't know what the correct description for the people who voted for them is.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
So how are things going over the past seven days? May is marginalised at the G20 talks, Kerry holds top level meetings with France and Germany but not the UK, the Americans put the EU and Pacific Rim countries above the UK in the trade talk rankings, the Indians are furious with us, the Chinese ambivalent, the Japanese threaten to pull the plug on inward investment and the Swiss point out that they've been trying to get a comprehensive services deal with the EU for years and years and so far haven't concluded one. And Lloyds of London have dropped another hint that they are seriously considering moving to another European centre if the UK loses its passporting rights to the EU. Presumably they'll change their name. Ken Clarke called the "leave the single market" brigade lunatics. I don't know what the correct description for the people who voted for them is.

All very interesting but the quiters are not interested, its about less foreigners, not about our place in the world order or our relative wealth. Let the poor eat cake

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Holidays, sunshine and the Olympics have calmed the Brexit fears over the summer, and the general consensus is all is rosy in the garden

All is fine because nothing has happened yet, there will be fireworks long before November 5th this year

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This country needs to learn to be more self sufficient and to get manufacturing again rather than buying and depending on foreign investment...Its not about isolating ourselves it's about being a world leader with the right economy that's stems from our shores.
If we continue to depend on imports galore and foreign owned business it's a recipe for disaster...The British people need to start buying British wether it's food or cars etc etc...time to mix it up as its been along time coming.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

You just love taking everything out of context and scaremongering. You must hate being British

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

still working with project fear i see, drawing on non-events and exaggerations.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Woefully one eyed.........notwithstanding the very well understood frailties of the EU economy and ongoing challenges in the eurozone, the political situation in the EU is deteriorating with anti EU sentiment growing across Europe.

Donald Tusk this weekend said in respect of refugees and immigrants that Europe was now full, the regional elections in Germany were not a ringing endorsement for Merkel and Hollande's approval ratings hit a new low.

This is grist to the mill for the UK's Brexit negotiations not least as in the immediate aftermath of Brexit the sky did not fall in, and whilst I don't think Brexit won't be without pain, this small period of relative growth merely demonstrates to the public how the experts can be wrong.

This very fluid political environment puts the UK in a much stronger negotiating position, especially as the sentiment in France and Germany is drawing towards acting in national interests, not the EU.

Before we get to those General elections Italy has to resolve its bankrupt banks and negotiate a tricky referendum which may turn out to be a popularity test on Renzi. Both matters have to potential to plunge the EU into a full crisis that would make Brexit look like a tea party.

You might not want to acknowledge it but at the moment the UK is reasonably stable, no company is going to jump anywhere yet because they could be jumping out of the frying pan..........

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
no company is going to jump anywhere yet because they could be jumping out of the frying pan..........

Of course no company is going to jump at the present time given that Article 50 has yet to be invoked and the outcome of whether we are in the single market or not is unknown.

However if the access to the EU market is not as free as it is currently then those that wish to have full access to the EU will need to establish premises in the EU, so stand by for job losses

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
This country needs to learn to be more self sufficient and to get manufacturing again rather than buying and depending on foreign investment...Its not about isolating ourselves it's about being a world leader with the right economy that's stems from our shores.
If we continue to depend on imports galore and foreign owned business it's a recipe for disaster...The British people need to start buying British wether it's food or cars etc etc...time to mix it up as its been along time coming.

Anti capitalist!

But a good sentiment, for my two pence worth we should be investing heavily in research and education. Governments don't seem to like investing in long term solutions though.

Don't panic! David Davis has everything under control. Oh....

"David Davis's single market stance 'not government policy'"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...is-single-market-stance-not-government-policy

David Davies's Dept is currently undertaking an industry "consultation" exercise (within Life Sciences that is, with responses due in by the 25th I think) where it seems to want to determine how the industries work, are regulated and what they want going forward. We've provided some specific inputs for a trade association and a couple of individual companies but subsequently, the department is now asking if there are any consultants who might be interested in working for/with them. We said ok to having our contact details passed on but it's all very odd; the dept doesn't seem to know what it wants or what job/tasks they would want us to undertake? The consultation itself is also a bit bizarre because you seem to have the government asking a number of industries that it regulates how they function and how they are regulated? Some of the looking forward stuff also seems a bit UK centric.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 22389

Tried to stay away from political threads since the vote because quite frankly the negativity after it did my head in. We had all the scaremongering before the vote, and then the bitterness after it, and over 2 months in it is still going on.

Stop wanting our country to fail to try and prove a point, and stop trying to drag people down all the time. I don't know how some people actually get up in the morning. Be positive FFS.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's all going wrong for Brexiteers. Second ref only a few months away. My words? Mark 'em son. It's happening! Wayoooo!!

I think a 2nd YES / NO would cause riots on the streets.

That said I wouldn't rule out the public having another question put to them on the terms of our Brexit as Caroline Lucas voiced at Westminister on Monday.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think a 2nd YES / NO would cause riots on the streets.

That said I wouldn't rule out the public having another question put to them on the terms of our Brexit as Caroline Lucas voiced at Westminister on Monday.

I'd think a vote on the terms of exit would be even more damaging to the economy. Imagine if the terms were rejected - that would leave the UK in Limbo - Article 50 already triggered so we're leaving but after two (?) years of negotiation the public reject the deal - where would that leave us ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here