Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not letting the Scots have the pound

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
That so so silly Salmond should follow the recommendations of a far clever Scot than he..

The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Hail King Salmond the First.... this is surely what this is about.
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
But to have your own currency, you need your own reserves, your own independent economy,..... Scotland has none of this in place,.... they would need to work hard to get it sorted by 2016,....... thats not a long time in global economic terms.

To a certain extent, my attitude would be that, if they want independence, that's their problem.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If you're married, you (usually) have a joint bank account. You put in and take out different amounts according to your individual and joint needs. You also have debts, such as a mortgage which you are jointly liable for.
If one of you then divorces the other, the debts and assets are split, each of you taking on a portion of that debt. If you are the biggest wage earner, then it would be madness to keep the joint bank account.
Independence means just that, going it alone and to hell with the consequences.

You've never got divorced have you? I wish that was how it worked!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
To a certain extent, my attitude would be that, if they want independence, that's their problem.

SNP will try hard to offload some of the burden onto us though.......him and his sidekick, you know Rab C Nesbitt's wife.........they can only attract voters by sticking the boot into the English.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Scots could have pounds and pence, but they would have to be Scottish pounds and pence, just as the Canadian Dollar is not the same currency as the US Dollar.

The currency conversion rate would be easy too , 50p = £1S :lol:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Scotland is a beautiful country it has hills and other stuff and was a world leader in using alcohol for the cure of many things including time lapse stupor syndrome. I for one will miss them and will look forward to seeing how many Duds to the Pound i will get on my holiday to Invershytstate.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And anyway, they are an independent country. They have their own parliament; autonomy on how they spend their money; their own sporting federations; own flag; recognised international borders; own national anthem etc etc.

What's this really all about? A few career opportunity politicians fixated with a bit of nationalistic dogma.

Hope the Scots kick him into touch. Trouble is, he'll play the jingoistic card. Obviously never picked up as a child.

If they get it, then I want Sussex to go for independence. There's almost as many people in Sussex as there is in Scotland. Tear down the East/West Sussex wall and kick those ba$tards from Surrey, Kent and Hampshire into touch. But, can we keep the pound please?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You wonder what a YES vote and a Scottish exit from £ Sterling might do for Carlisle and Newcastle. I can see a lot of companies relocating from Scotland to England, and the nearest bases to service to Scottish market could be these two.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Wont make a blind bit of difference, Companies and Institutions will always seek out the most able executives, eg Bank of England governor is a Canadian. By the way, interestingly, the Bank of England was founded by William Smith - a Scotsman !

Sorry that should have read William Paterson

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Will all the pound shops in Scotland have to become 99p stores ???

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The vote is stitched in favour of the snp anyway, no scots who live in the rest of the u.k. can vote,but if they live abroad, they have a vote. This really is quite transparent in its efforts to fix the outcome.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And anyway, they are an independent country. They have their own parliament; autonomy on how they spend their money; their own sporting federations; own flag; recognised international borders; own national anthem etc etc.

this is what i dont get. they have a great deal of autonomy already and seem to be campaigning to have a half dozen areas left, like taxation, energy and defence policy, ceded to them. they will then cede back powers on those and other areas in order to establish a monetary union. :mad:???:shrug:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
this is what i dont get. they have a great deal of autonomy already and seem to be campaigning to have a half dozen areas left, like taxation, energy and defence policy, ceded to them. they will then cede back powers on those and other areas in order to establish a monetary union. :mad:???:shrug:

Give Salmond a sniff of power and he'll be like Sepp Blatter. They'll never get rid of him.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The vote is stitched in favour of the snp anyway, no scots who live in the rest of the u.k. can vote,but if they live abroad, they have a vote. This really is quite transparent in its efforts to fix the outcome.

Is that right?

I know that scots living in the rest of the UK can't vote, but I didn't realise that those living in, say the USA can.

How can that be right.?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Is that right?

I know that scots living in the rest of the UK can't vote, but I didn't realise that those living in, say the USA can.

How can that be right.?

I believe it is, the u.k. government let th snp make the rules for the ballot,, so they will let 16 year olds vote and scottish born ex pats. Any Scot or person with one Scottish parent will automatically be made a Scottish citizen, even if they don't want to be

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here