Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's eating my 'C' Drive? (with Drivespacio chart foranalysis)

I've barely 200MB left and keep getting low disc space warnings. The clean-up usually just compresses old files, but it can't do that any more. So, is there anything obvious from this screenshot? I have expanded the main 'installer' folder showing part of it on the left. Drivespacio will also rescan any of those blue bars to reveal their composition, so just ask if you want me to do so.
Thanks in advance.

DriveS.png

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What? Your hard drive size is less than 6 GB?!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Yeah, you've got 6gb of space, and windows generally speaking takes between 2 and 4 (depending on version)...

Not a lot of space there.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
When you go into Disk Cleanup, do you click on the "More Options" tab? You can delete all but the latest system restore point, which can free a lot of space. But you do have a very small C: drive.

Also, try Crap Cleaner - CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I've just noticed, the first pic does say that, hence the comment from KneeOn (thought he must mean free space).
So, why does the second one say the C drive is 9.32GB (which I think it is)?

Maybe the E: Recovery drive removes that from the C: drive?

Oh, and that slide says "Info may be inaccurate". :facepalm: Not sure about the "Errors".

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I've just noticed, the first pic does say that, hence the comment from KneeOn (thought he must mean free space).
So, why does it say that when the second one states (correctly I think) that the C drive is 9.32GB?

Still, under 10gb for a whole hard drive isn't much space to play with at all. Maybe time to think of upgrading your hard drive to something a bit more spacious...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
In 1993 had a Power Mac with an 8 Gig, yes a whole 8 Gig hard drive. Mind you that was plenty then as there really wasn't an awful lot you could do with it. Plus it was a Mac so you couldn't plug much into it or programme it with.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
There are viruses that duplicate files continuously until your hard drive is completely full, which usually renders it useless. Try running an AV scan of some sort, avast and AVG are good free antivirus programmes that may do the job.

Another solution is to buy a new computer because seriously, windows 98 and only 8gb hard drive... You can get phones that have 4 times as much storage as that mate...

Another solution is to buy a new computer because seriously, windows 98 and only 8gb hard drive...
It's quite remarkable how you've managed to get three mistakes into that part of the sentence. The second pic shows clearly there is over 18GB, it's running XP Home and the computer is perfectly adequate for that; indeed, it was sold with that copy of Windows already on it!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's quite remarkable how you've managed to get three mistakes into that part of the sentence. The second pic shows clearly there is over 18GB, it's running XP Home and the computer is perfectly adequate for that; indeed, it was sold with that copy of Windows already on it!

I'd just recommend getting a bigger hard drive. Having a computer for a number of years the space just goes, every temp file you create (without knowing), every program you install. It just all adds up.

had the same problem a while back and it was a virus of some kind. anti malware and ccleaner should do the trick
There are viruses that duplicate files continuously until your hard drive is completely full, which usually renders it useless. Try running an AV scan of some sort, avast and AVG are good free antivirus programmes that may do the job.
download ccleaner
I've been using Avast and Ccleaner for months, and I've recently installed Spyware Blaster and Spybot.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here