[Food] So what is the king of curries?

Choose your favourite

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Sri Lankan rice and curry with Maldive fish (umbalakada), coconut (pol) sambol & seeni (sugar) sambol

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I’ve been to India and didnt find one curry you would find in a tandoori curry house over here. So whatever you are eating is generally made up and unique to the UK.

That’s not quite the truth although it appears to be received wisdom in the UK.

Of course it’s wildly more diverse than our high street fare but a lot of the fundamentals are the same.

As for catering for local tastes, the Indians do not exactly the same thing as we do with their cuisine with Indian Chinese cuisine.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
As mentioned, authentic Indian food is far superior. Not all 'Indians' are even owned by those from India. A lot are owned by people from Bangladesh, for example. However, for the purposes of the thread, it has to be the Dhansak.

Bangladesh was part of India and is mostly Bengali in culture, same as they other side of the border. This line about them being Bangladeshis and not Indians is really ill informed as it implies they are somehow not authentic, based around a political border

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Dosas from dosa club in Crawley are fantastic. Crawley absolutely smashes Brighton for Indian restaurants.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Madras, but cooked the UK way.
Over here they put coconut in it, yuck !
Mind you the CTM over here is hotter than in the UK and very capsicummy, I don't mind it at all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Like loads of different curries so don’t stick to the same thing, but do love a pathia.......especially if I can get it as a starter on puree (bread).

When I’ve been in India I’ve had loads of meals that are broadly similar to ‘UK’ curries.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Indian curry in Singapore is most often better than in India and the real thing as it's made by and for Indian people. A particular favourite: chicken Chettinad, a wonderful dry peppery south Indian curry. Try it if you can find it in the UK.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Indian curry in Singapore is most often better than in India and the real thing as it's made by and for Indian people. A particular favourite: chicken Chettinad, a wonderful dry peppery south Indian curry. Try it if you can find it in the UK.

Just looked up a recipe, looks very tasty, very similar to how I cook curry.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Lamb Keema for me, or Vindaloo, but Lamb Keema is always first choice, I always ask for a side dish of fresh chopped chillies. But home cooked it would not be any of those listed.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Crikey, an 12 page thread that hasn't descended into a slanging match. This must be a record.

I opted for Dhansak. I never opt for a Jhalfreizi, but based on the voting I think that's my meal tonight,

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
They temper the heat down here for local tastes. Took my gf for her first ever curry, and she had Chicken Madras. She loved it. Every time we went for curry she got the same dish. In Brighton, she ordered Chicken Madras as usual. I should have taken a picture of her just after her first mouthful :lol:

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
There’s just too many different curries to list them all, so I had to choose other.

Penang for me. I love Indian food, but prefer Thai a little more. If I were to choose an Indian curry it would probably be a lababdar. Although some of the Keralan food I had recently was sensational.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here