Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] I'm thinking of buying a Camera Drone - advice needed

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Drone defense is a big thing. I keep getting recruiters offering me interviews, some big investments being made. Stadium, Prisons, Schools, Military, Aviation etc. Lots of use cases for it.

D

Deleted member 2719

So, as I've said, I'm thinking about getting my first camera drone. It will be to take video footage and photos here in Sussex, and on holidays (skiing is something I really fancy using it with).

My requirements are:

1. Video capability - min HD, ideally 4k
  2. Photos capability
  3. Portable
  4. Easy to fly
  5. Follow me mode
  6. Ideally for under or close to £1k

From the research I've performed, the ones that have my interest are:

• DJI Mavic Pro - c£1100 for bundle with extra batteries etc
  • DJI Spark - c£600 with extras
  • DJI Phantom 3 Standard - c£400

So, does anyone on here own one and can provide some guidance on which models to consider beyond this list, and which is best?

Thanks

P.

Papa don't do it you credibility will be damaged severely.

I am with BG the Drone boys are small willy types wearing rain coat.

Having a drone will not enrich your life IMO.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Drone defense is a big thing. I keep getting recruiters offering me interviews, some big investments being made. Stadium, Prisons, Schools, Military, Aviation etc. Lots of use cases for it.

So, do you work in that sector / area?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So, do you work in that sector / area?

Nope but work in wireless network infrastructure which is what a lot of the drone defense lot work on

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Papa don't do it you credibility will be damaged severely.

I am with BG the Drone boys are small willy types wearing rain coat.

Having a drone will not enrich your life IMO.

But what if I can provide better weather forecast / information / snow reports via the drone?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am reasonably sure that it was a thread on here some time ago, probaby 1-2 years ago, but couldnt find it on a search, that it was impossible to block drones over prisons etc as the blocking technology also affected other more important aspects of life..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am reasonably sure that it was a thread on here some time ago, probaby 1-2 years ago, but couldnt find it on a search, that it was impossible to block drones over prisons etc as the blocking technology also affected other more important aspects of life..

Not true. Or at least not anymore.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I dont dispute that as technology doesnt stand still as what can be done now couldnt be last week. So why can they not stop drones dropping drugs etc over prison walls?

They can. If the prisons spend the money to do so

D

Deleted member 2719

But what if I can provide better weather forecast / information / snow reports via the drone?

Sorry i am very anti drone, weirdly i was going to start a thread about what would you do if a drone landed/crashed in your garden, smash it up or try and return it.

Because i personally would trash it,(sorry) i like my privacy and safety for my kids.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
So, as I've said, I'm thinking about getting my first camera drone. It will be to take video footage and photos here in Sussex, and on holidays (skiing is something I really fancy using it with).

My requirements are:

1. Video capability - min HD, ideally 4k
  2. Photos capability
  3. Portable
  4. Easy to fly
  5. Follow me mode
  6. Ideally for under or close to £1k

From the research I've performed, the ones that have my interest are:

• DJI Mavic Pro - c£1100 for bundle with extra batteries etc
  • DJI Spark - c£600 with extras
  • DJI Phantom 3 Standard - c£400

So, does anyone on here own one and can provide some guidance on which models to consider beyond this list, and which is best?

Thanks

P.

Fraser has a Mavic Pro and it is an unbelievable piece of kit. Well worth the money.

Here's his video of our recent holiday in France.

[yt]qg0SvtMmzQY[/yt]

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I dont dispute that as technology doesnt stand still as what can be done now couldnt be last week. So why can they not stop drones dropping drugs etc over prison walls?

Because Amazon give them a back-hander?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sorry i am very anti drone, weirdly i was going to start a thread about what would you do if a drone landed/crashed in your garden, smash it up or try and return it.

Because i personally would trash it,(sorry) i like my privacy and safety for my kids.

I can't think of many valid reasons why a drone would crash / land in your garden. Most (at least other than the cheap ones) have a return to base option for when the battery runs low.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here