Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Basketball v Skeleton Bobsleigh

Basketball or Skeleton Bobsleigh - Wheres should The UK Sport Money Go?

• Skeleton Bobsleigh

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • Basketball

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, but people want to cycle, haha! Also, does any of the Olympic money British cycling get go into getting kids onto bikes? Or does it just go on the Olympic team?
But raising the profile of the British Olympic Cycling team has directly raised the profile of cycling.

Any kid wanting to be the next Robert Millar, was all but screwed.
Any kid wanting to be the next Wiggo/Cav/Froomey/G now have access to all the facilities they need to make that happen.

If the British Olympic Basketball team managed to generate the next LeBron, anyone even remotely connected to sport in the UK would be falling over each other to find the next one after him.

sansfoiniloi

Feb 16, 2018
Eastbourne
I think the whole idea of funding 'elite sport' is to inspire lazy schmucks like me to get up and move around occasionally. I totally understand the basketball argument, but the choice of sport may not have won you much support!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Basketball is the worst sport in the WORLD. Squeaky trainers on polished wood is like a constant backdrop of running fingernails down a chalkboard. And games that end up 111-115 meaning it is a piece of PISS to score, in fact its a shock when those 7ft freaks don't. Its just points diarrohea, and its utter, utter shite.

I would rather watch my freezer defrost than waste 10 minutes of my life watching basketball. It needs banning.

Which proves you know next to nothing about basketball. Your comments are basically just the same as anyone who knows next to nothing about football, and who when told the score was 0-0 respond with it must have been a boring game.

You totally over look the ebb and flow of a basketball game, and its not actually that easy to score without the physical effort and skill of the whole team to present an open shot, even then outside the arc the shooting percentages won't be near the 100% to which you allude to.

Basketball in this country had a real opportunity to expand given the London Olympics, but any forward momentum was stopped in its tracks when the funding was scaled back ahead of the Rio games.

I assume from your comments you will also have disliked the New Zealand v Australia T20 game from this morning where 243-6 played 245-5 with Australia winning with 7 balls to spare. over 12 runs an over, far too easy who wants to watch this

Anyway back on topic Basketball should have more funding than winter sports that are not spectator sports domestically.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Basketball is the worst sport in the WORLD. Squeaky trainers on polished wood is like a constant backdrop of running fingernails down a chalkboard. And games that end up 111-115 meaning it is a piece of PISS to score, in fact its a shock when those 7ft freaks don't. Its just points diarrohea, and its utter, utter shite.

I would rather watch my freezer defrost than waste 10 minutes of my life watching basketball. It needs banning.

How many real games have you spectated?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The Cresta Run was always a playground for the officer classes.
Lottery funding's first supported film was about the Oxford/ Cambridge boat race.
The big money and funding goes to the posh.
Always has, always will.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which proves you know next to nothing about basketball. Your comments are basically just the same as anyone who knows next to nothing about football, and who when told the score was 0-0 respond with it must have been a boring game.

You totally over look the ebb and flow of a basketball game, and its not actually that easy to score without the physical effort and skill of the whole team to present an open shot, even then outside the arc the shooting percentages won't be near the 100% to which you allude to.

Basketball in this country had a real opportunity to expand given the London Olympics, but any forward momentum was stopped in its tracks when the funding was scaled back ahead of the Rio games.

I assume from your comments you will also have disliked the New Zealand v Australia T20 game from this morning where 243-6 played 245-5 with Australia winning with 7 balls to spare. over 12 runs an over, far too easy who wants to watch this

Anyway back on topic Basketball should have more funding than winter sports that are not spectator sports domestically.

I don't WANT to know about basketball. I've probably invested about 16 minutes of my life watching the NBA, and regretted every moment. Utter dreck. I'm glad basketball didn't expand in this country, I hope it dies on its arse. When I come to power, it will be banned.

There. I said it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The British have always been good at fast sport and risky sh1t so it's great to see us win a medal today in a bonkers event where a person is turned into a human bullet.

I can understand the lack of awareness of basketball as a sport due to the lack of publicity and personally don't have much time for the NBA.

However I can guarantee you that basketball is a thriving activity all over Sussex from 7 & 8 year old mini ballers to adults. I'm involved with coaching in the region of 50 kids a week from 13-18 of both sexes as well as refereeing all around the county and can tell you that for all those involved it's a great sport.

The benefits it can bring are enormous especially to kids with difficult upbringings. At the end of the junior road are opportunities to get to a higher level and I've coached girls who have gone on to play for England, are now in the States playing College basketball and who hope to turn professional.

It shouldn't really be a case of either or but more a case that Basketball is underfunded which is a real shame.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I can understand the lack of awareness of basketball as a sport due to the lack of publicity and personally don't have much time for the NBA.

However I can guarantee you that basketball is a thriving activity all over Sussex from 7 & 8 year old mini ballers to adults. I'm involved with coaching in the region of 50 kids a week from 13-18 of both sexes as well as refereeing all around the county and can tell you that for all those involved it's a great sport.

The benefits it can bring are enormous especially to kids with difficult upbringings. At the end of the junior road are opportunities to get to a higher level and I've coached girls who have gone on to play for England, are now in the States playing College basketball and who hope to turn professional.

It shouldn't really be a case of either or but more a case that Basketball is underfunded which is a real shame.
Love to hear that!

I just don't have the same experience. Was a supply teacher around Sussex and found very little interest for basketball. My number 1 sport so was always trying to get the kids into it (lunch, PE, after school sports)

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I am late to the thread but when I first saw it I said Easy 10 is going to talk out of his backside on this one and you have not let me down.
Basketball is hugely entertaining and a great way to spend a couple of hours, it is also extremely skilful.
You know nothing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Meanwhile in a proper sport played by 100,000s of fellow Britions regularly, Basketball gets nothing from UK Sport because our male and female teams are deemed to be not medal prospects in it at the Olympics
When we watch the Olympics, we want to see Team GB get the odd medal, so it makes sense to fund the area where that can happen.

This doesn't stop your 100,000 crap players from having fun still.

FWI I'd much rather watch the Olympic skeleton than any basketball match.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
When we watch the Olympics, we want to see Team GB get the odd medal, so it makes sense to fund the area where that can happen.

Do we really want to see the odd medal that puts us in 20th.

Who really is fussed about a bronze in a small event that we will never see for another 4 years.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Quite right.
It also helps if your town/city had a decent team.
Although only BBL the Plymouth Raiders is a great use of 2 or so hours on a Sunday.
Full of kids with their parents all having a great time, I think that had made Basketball very popular in Plymouth.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The whole basketball situation is a joke.

Big sport with some top Euro teams...just don't have the interest/exposure over here.

there is and has been a national basketball league for over 40 years .....brighton bears which then moved to be worthing bears used to attract reasonable crowds at the brighton centre and worthing leisure centre.....i played for the under 19's for a couple of years and went all over the country and played against teams from yugoslavia , poland , israel & germany.....why it gets no funding is a mystery to me and seems to have lost popularity over the last 25 years or so .

the bint from kent probably has a great uncle in the house of lords.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am late to the thread but when I first saw it I said Easy 10 is going to talk out of his backside on this one and you have not let me down.
Basketball is hugely entertaining and a great way to spend a couple of hours, it is also extremely skilful.
You know nothing.

Glad not to disappoint :thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

UK Sport would seem to concur with you. I'm not a basketball fan, but I just don't agree with them funding obscure sports to win medals in the Olympics, at the expense of a sport which is participated in great numbers, crap or otherwise.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here