Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugby World Cup - England vs Wales, Twickenham 20:00

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apparently Owen Farrell wasnt happy with the kick as it was difficult one to take on and they didnt consider the possibility that Wales would push them over the line

You are getting into this rugby world cup aren't you???

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
I must confess to being quite excited about the knockout game against Australia. We should have beaten Wales so now the team must be bursting to right that result. Should be a very tense cracker of a game. Cometh the hour cometh the man...maybe!
Wheel be hammered as will Albion. Sorry.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Apparently Owen Farrell wasnt happy with the kick as it was difficult one to take on and they didnt consider the possibility that Wales would push them over the line

If Farrell had taken it and missed then it would have been a 22 yard dropout, so England would have received the ball in play and with something to attack. Not the worst insurance to have. Instead we went for a lineout, which itself wasn't a huge error. The real issue is that once we decided to go for a short throw to the lineout, which is about the easiest to defend. Baffling decision.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If we can beat Australia it sets the following weeks game Wales v Australia up for a sudden death finish as one of them will go out as surely we will beat Uruguay. That will be the big incentive for our players.

Yes, that would be the situation. England need two wins and a bonus point- which should come against Uruguay.

If they tie on points with Australia, we would then go through as the winner of that match.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wheel be hammered as will Albion. Sorry.

I suspect a deliberate negative to avoid tempting fate.

England have a good record against Australia at Twickers in recent times. Although this squad is lacking something at the moment.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why oh why did they not take the kick. A draw would be fine at this stage of the tournament. They were NEVER going to get a try!

Although Wales were never going to contest the line out as such England should never have thrown to the front. So easy to defend against when you know the rolling maul is coming.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes, that would be the situation. England need two wins and a bonus point- which should come against Uruguay.

If they tie on points with Australia, we would then go through as the winner of that match.

Unless Wales also end up on the same number of points, in which case it'd go down to points difference.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Farrell had taken it and missed then it would have been a 22 yard dropout, so England would have received the ball in play and with something to attack. Not the worst insurance to have. Instead we went for a lineout, which itself wasn't a huge error. The real issue is that once we decided to go for a short throw to the lineout, which is about the easiest to defend. Baffling decision.
As it was with less than 2 minutes left would we have had time to score from the 22yd drop out or would it have been a case of Wales getting the ball and finding touch As I have said I dont know the finer details of rugby

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I still think England will make the final. There I said it.

We were very good for 60 mins Sat - if we'd won it would have gone down as a very good performance. The last 20 we lost our discipline and panicked. I still think the bonus point vs Fiji will be key and also hope Wales don't get one vs Fiji.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As it was with less than 2 minutes left would we have had time to score from the 22yd drop out or would it have been a case of Wales getting the ball and finding touch As I have said I dont know the finer details of rugby

Yes - plenty of time - the drop out has to be kicked into play I believe and we'd have had possession somewhere near the half way line. [MENTION=20843]scamander[/MENTION] makes a very good point...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

My point is on most drop outs the opposition get the ball and kick it back up field so surely Wales would have held on to the ball between themselves to kill time and then kicked for touch so we couldnt have got the try needed. Still trying to learn about the tame and tactics.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My point is on most drop outs the opposition get the ball and kick it back up field so surely Wales would have held on to the ball between themselves to kill time and then kicked for touch sowe couldnt have got the try needed.

Not particularly true - teams often run with the ball after a 22 drop out as there's space to run in to. Obviously in this case England wouldn't have kicked it back, they'd have kept the ball in hand and had one last go...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here