Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Average Speed Cameras

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
anyone planning on driving in France this summer be aware that all the national road speed limits changed on the 1st July

no longer 90kph but 80! and the flics are everywhere at the moment

your gps will probably still say 90 so be careful,even with alarms

the first couple of days were really strange

usually in a 90 everyone does 100,but at the moment everyone is adhering to the new limit of 80 knowing the flics are in every hedgerow

the change in speed is remarkable,at 80 it feels like your walking

but it does highlight the difference in speed and I'm sure fatalites will go down as a result,although it's extremely unpopular with the locals

So 56mph down to 50mph in round numbers, I don't believe it will make a significant difference.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
anyone planning on driving in France this summer be aware that all the national road speed limits changed on the 1st July

usually in a 90 everyone does 100,but at the moment everyone is adhering to the new limit of 80 knowing the flics are in every hedgerow

but it does highlight the difference in speed and I'm sure fatalites will go down as a result,although it's extremely unpopular with the locals

90% of my driving is on the 130kpm Autoroutes. Is that limit still the same?

UTT

Jun 27, 2017
Just been on a course about smart motorways, got caught speeding coming back from Brighton to Northants. U
Got caught just past junction 11 of the M1 doing 58 when the overhead signs were 50.
There wasn’t any traffic at 9pm and no road works so didn’t think they worked, but I got caught and refer to the course instead of points.
I asked the question at the course why there were limits at that time of night, when no hold ups or roadworks, and the reply was...
Pollution!!
Apparently they are set so fast traffic doesn’t stir up the pollution at night and gives it chance to settle. Yeah right.

Did the same course myself last year. The idiots giving my course tried to make us believe that there are sensors in the road that detect the pollution like you say, and noise. So if the motorway is abit too noisy for the local residents that have lived next to it for years they bang the overheads on as slower traffic makes less noise...utter bollocks.

It's just another tax.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.

Thanks, that's good to know. I wasn't aware of that.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Back in the day I drove up the m40 around 90mph on way to Birmingham. Someone else who was also going to same destination and who had left starting point at same time, cruised in a restricted vehicle at 70mph. I must have only reached the destination about 10 mins earlier max.

I've never speeded anywhere ever again. When I think about why I was speeding and why others do quite simply its selfishness, egotistical and bloody stupid. We've all done it at some point though. Luckily I've never had a ticket.

I've never speeded through average speed camera's though, those people just don't give a flying f**k about anyone as there could well be workers on site nearby.

Driving back today down M40. My GPS was saying 46, speedo said 51? Went with GPS, and went at 56. GPS said I was doing 50. Will let you all know about any fines!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We have a 20mph speed limit within the city. I've caught Police cars a fair few time, without the sirens on, driving well above that limit when I'm speed checking them. Problem is, if you stop them, you'll get arrested for wasting their time.

Does anyone actually follow the 20mph rule?

Spoke with a taxi driver mate of mine about the Brighton 20 mph limit. Whilst very few drivers stick to this limit, those going over it will be doing 25 to 30. Had the limit been 30 then they would be doing 40. So a few drive around at 20 but even fewer do over 30.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Did the same course myself last year. The idiots giving my course tried to make us believe that there are sensors in the road that detect the pollution like you say, and noise. So if the motorway is abit too noisy for the local residents that have lived next to it for years they bang the overheads on as slower traffic makes less noise...utter bollocks.

It's just another tax.

Yep that's nonsense.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We have a 20mph speed limit within the city. I've caught Police cars a fair few time, without the sirens on, driving well above that limit when I'm speed checking them. Problem is, if you stop them, you'll get arrested for wasting their time.

Does anyone actually follow the 20mph rule?

You speed check police cars???

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They now have these at the top of the A24 South of Leatherhead. The whole A24 is now becoming so slow with so man speed restrictions that to drive from M25 to Worthing it is almost quicker to go the extra two junctions of the M25 and down the M23. Ridiculous.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Driving back today down M40. My GPS was saying 46, speedo said 51? Went with GPS, and went at 56. GPS said I was doing 50. Will let you all know about any fines!

Under UK law, a speedometer must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph. So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedometer could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph. Put another way, if your speedometer is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it's possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.

To ensure that they comply with the law and make sure that their speedometers are never showing less than true speed under any foreseeable circumstances, car manufacturers will normally deliberately calibrate their speedometers to read ‘high’ by a certain amount. As your satnav is not the designated device by which a car’s speed is measured, it does not need to incorporate any 'fudge factoring' of this nature.

I don't imagine you'll receive a ticket if the limit was Fifty.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They now have these at the top of the A24 South of Leatherhead. The whole A24 is now becoming so slow with so man speed restrictions that to drive from M25 to Worthing it is almost quicker to go the extra two junctions of the M25 and down the M23. Ridiculous.

So it should be as the A24 isnt good enough for it to be another Silverstone and IMHO should have average speed cameras along every length of dual carriageway along it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So it should be as the A24 isnt good enough for it to be another Silverstone and IMHO should have average speed cameras along every length of dual carriageway along it.

Granny driver. Sorry Grandad driver.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It goes through too many junctions to villages to allow speeding. I drive to the speed limit or just above so not a slow driver. I presume you are one of those idiots that drive at 90mph then slam your brakes on when you see a speed camera.

Classic contradiction.

And no I'm not, just feel some of the restrictions are too slow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here