Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] wild birds

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hope it is OK, but I've seen magpies gang up on a weaker bird (a magpie), it's a survival instinct sadly. :nono:
On a brighter note, I'm liking the DIY pub! :)

They're not called murdering magpies for nothing. They eat little birds, weak birds and carrion.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thought this was about the incidents at Borough Market after the England game last Saturday

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Heatwave seems to have adversely affected the squirrels also. Normally have them running up and down my window sills all morning but not seen a single one for about a week.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Heatwave seems to have adversely affected the squirrels also. Normally have them running up and down my window sills all morning but not seen a single one for about a week.

Good. Reckon they've eaten upwards of 50,000 spring flowering bulbs in the Rockery over the past 10 years. ******* things....rats with fluffy tails.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We also have a dog that deters cats from our garden.

Apparently the guidance is to put out a shallow tray of water so birds can bathe as well - they like a bath.

They all use the waterfall leading to my pond. It's a bit like a power shower. Really funny to watch

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

maybe they've been informed as to your sweaty roots, and have taken to using only sills festooned with St George crosses??????????

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Our stone bird bath on the patio has given us plenty of entertainment this summer so far. Couple of goldfinches appeared this morning, according to Mrs SoP.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
put some water out if you can, they're parched :down:

Been doing so for past week or so. And more fat balls out this morning. Gotta take care of our little winged friends in such heat.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Seagulls banned from the garden..too noisy and they scoff all the grub I put out :moo:

I don't put food on the ground, but gulls have been in the garden drinking the water.
I wish the noisy wood pigeon that sits on the roof would disappear back to the woods.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't put food on the ground, but gulls have been in the garden drinking the water.
I wish the noisy wood pigeon that sits on the roof would disappear back to the woods.

Lol...most of mine is in feeders but I do chuck the crusts out..normally in small bits so everyone gets a chance....I find its the seagulls that make the most noise in the early hours...on the other hand there is one poor soul that has been sitting on a nest for over a month now...did the same last year ..she doesn't seem to know her partner might be firing blanks :moo:

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Lol...most of mine is in feeders but I do chuck the crusts out..normally in small bits so everyone gets a chance....I find its the seagulls that make the most noise in the early hours...on the other hand there is one poor soul that has been sitting on a nest for over a month now...did the same last year ..her partner firing blanks :moo:

Seagulls are up early doors in this area and I'm not next to the sea, but they nest on houses nearby. I went to the beach between Newhaven and Seaford on Saturday morning and didn't see one gull.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
We also have a dog that deters cats from our garden.

Apparently the guidance is to put out a shallow tray of water so birds can bathe as well - they like a bath.

I like a bath too, although mainly on my birthday

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seagulls are up early doors in this area and I'm not next to the sea, but they nest on houses nearby. I went to the beach between Newhaven and Seaford on Saturday morning and didn't see one gull.

They're nesting on my neighbours roofs either side of us, bringing up their chicks.

I like the sounds from wood pigeons, so you can send him/her across the valley.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
I put a bowl on the garage roof. A dirty great big Seagull flew down, had a drink then moved it to the middle of the garage, now I can't fill it up. He is now known as Selfish Seagull.

Good news!!! a neighbour let me borrow his ladder, and with my broom I managed to retrieve the bowl, fill it up and put it back. No thirsty Seagulls on my roof.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
They're nesting on my neighbours roofs either side of us, bringing up their chicks.

I like the sounds from wood pigeons, so you can send him/her across the valley.

Wood pigeons like my roof for some reason, but I may as well throw away my alarm clock because they are so noisy.
I was trying to sleep yesterday afternoon as I was ill ( not a hangover ) and i was woken up by them.
It's not them at 4am though.

Lots of nesting gulls in Fullwood, Lawes and Evelyn Avenues because of the flat roofs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here