Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hughes to be sacked today ?????

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And there are some, for that very reason, (playing devils advocate you understand), who will say that the club have fulfilled their obligation, i.e. employed him until the end of his contract.

That's a perfectly valid viewpoint. He took the job on a 10 week contract. They've paid him his agreed wages for that period, and presumably a healthy bonus for achieving agreed targets.

They are absolutely entitled to now shake hands and look elsewhere, if that is their choice.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's a perfectly valid viewpoint. He took the job on a 10 week contract. They've paid him his agreed wages for that period, and presumably a healthy bonus for achieving agreed targets.

They are absolutely entitled to now shake hands and look elsewhere, if that is their choice.

Moyes has also restored his reputation, after disasters since Everton.

Plus he's conducted himself with dignity. Never making the mouthy mistake of beliigerent Allardyce in a war of words.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This.

He's hated on NSC but he did a quality job in galvanising a squad which most NSC'ers wrote off as Championship bound. NSC headlines were written about Hughes sending 2 clubs down in the same season, which proved bollocks.

He gave Stokes their best PL finishes, and was powerless to let Anautovic go (player power won over Stoke).

I agree, he’s is a good mid/lower league manager and whatever NSCers say his track record proves it FACT. He is a knob though but a decent enough manager if you don’t want to get relegated. I wonder if Stoke would have gone if they’d kept faith with him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree, he’s is a good mid/lower league manager and whatever NSCers say his track record proves it FACT. He is a knob though but a decent enough manager if you don’t want to get relegated. I wonder if Stoke would have gone if they’d kept faith with him.

Agree that he comes across as quite a bitter personality.

The Stoke Board and fans blame him for the relegation. They wouldn't do anything else, as the local Coates family are loved like the Bloom's, having pumped him £100m's to turn them into a PL club. Making Hughes the easy target.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well if Stains do sack him, then the football world really has gone mad. I don't like the guy, far too arrogant for my liking, yet it does need to be said, that he has done wonders for the club, and kept them in the Premier League.

Still, l suppose we all know, that the word 'loyalty' was erased from the dictionary years ago now.

Wonders? Wonders? What the ****? Seriously?

Mark Hughes won two premier league matches. One against a Swansea side that also lost to Stoke on the final day. He did a barely competent job, and kept them up because Swansea totally fell apart in the last 10 games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Mark Hughes won two premier league matches. One against a Swansea side that also lost to Stoke on the final day. He did a barely competent job, and kept them up because Swansea totally fell apart in the last 10 games.

NSC posters and pundits were certain Stains were down.

His final 5 results were
D
W
D (robbed in the last minute after outclassing Everton)
W
L (Man City 1-0)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
NSC posters and pundits were certain Stains were down.

His final 5 results were
D
W
D (robbed in the last minute after outclassing Everton)
W
L (Man City 1-0)

On the beach results vs Leicester, Everton and Bournemouth. Beat Swansea who scored 1 goal in the last decade or something. He did not do a terrible job, but certainly did not do wonders either. Pundits/NSC were expecting Swansea to get more than three points in 10 games. Make no mistake though Saints stayed up because of others failings, not because of Mark Hughes brilliant management. Hughes collected 1 point per game, luckily for him that was enough.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the beach results vs Leicester, Everton and Bournemouth. Beat Swansea who scored 1 goal in the last decade or something. He did not do a terrible job, but certainly did not do wonders either. Pundits/NSC were expecting Swansea to get more than three points in 10 games. Make no mistake though Saints stayed up because of others failings, not because of Mark Hughes brilliant management. Hughes collected 1 point per game, luckily for him that was enough.

That's how it always works, the three worst teams dropped. Hughes made sure, despite the jibes and predictions from many, that Stains weren't one of them. No one knew that a month ago, with plenty predicting a different final bottom 3.

Hopefully no one, other than Hughes himself, thought it "brilliant management".

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well either way he kept them up! Was it his fault that Swansea, fell apart as you put it? Certainly his record there was far superior than his predecessor.

I'm sure all Stains fans love him for what he did.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
9th
9th
9th
13th
Club sold only PL quality striker and heading for relegation.

Awful record.

He spent a lot less than Pulis did too and bettered his results.

Thats not that bad (now you've pointed it out)

Now look at money spent, goals for, wins, League & FA Cup campaigns.

All those season end places do is prove that 'below the top 6' has been shithouse for a lot longer than this season.
Stoke City under Hughes is THE Premier League team I'd hate for the Albion to become.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well either way he kept them up! Was it his fault that Swansea, fell apart as you put it? Certainly his record there was far superior than his predecessor.

I'm sure all Stains fans love him for what he did.

Of course it is not his fault that Swansea fell apart. It is also not to his credit.

Hughes does not have a far superior record to his predecessor either. 1 point per game for Hughes vs Pellegrino 0.93 per game.

He just isn't a very good manager and didn't really do anything other than an average job in the run in. If Southampton were not to keep him on they would be well within their rights to bin him off. West Ham getting rid of Moyes is stupid, Everton getting rid of BFS slightly stupid, though the discontent on the terraces makes his position untenable.

Keeping Hughes because he got lucky and won the one game he had to, if you feel you have a better manager lined up, is not disloyal, it is sensible. Plus Hughes is a complete arse with his constant whining about refs, and losing his shit over handshakes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Now look at money spent, goals for, wins, League & FA Cup campaigns.

All those season end places do is prove that 'below the top 6' has been shithouse for a lot longer than this season.
Stoke City under Hughes is THE Premier League team I'd hate for the Albion to become.

Stoke were the 6th highest nett transfer spend over their period in the Premier League. £154m. They and West Brom forked out an incredible £223m and £220m respectively, and only got £70m and £96 back in sales respectively. Stoke in particular did little to develop players, instead paying over the odds for big 6 rejects. They have most certainly reaped what they sowed.

Meanwhile Swansea are at the other end of the spectrum, going down with a £30m transfer profit, Southampton nearly gone with a £50m one!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stoke were the 6th highest nett transfer spend over their period in the Premier League. £154m. They and West Brom forked out an incredible £223m and £220m respectively, and only got £70m and £96 back in sales respectively. Stoke in particular did little to develop players, instead paying over the odds for big 6 rejects. They have most certainly reaped what they sowed.

Meanwhile Swansea are at the other end of the spectrum, going down with a £30m transfer profit, Southampton nearly gone with a £50m one!

In that time they have one FA cup (or League cup, already I can't remember which) semi-final and they averaged something like 43 goals a season.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
Just how many managers have been sacked or not retained this year in the PL ?

It does seem a ridiculous the merry go round of managers and the same names being sacked

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hope Mark Hughes gets the Stains job as he presided over a staggering waste of cash while at Stoke and lost the dressing room. They couldn't score and couldn't defend either. He could easily repeat this at Stains, blow their Van Dijk cash and do irreparable damage to the club. Here's hoping!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That means hoofball Pulis under achieved at Stoke then!

Swansea are broke. The shear cost of running a PL club (payroll and fees) was revealed in the winter when their chairman stated that there was no money at bank for the first time, and they were running an overdraft. Somehow the Sigurdsson money got swallowed up in normal cash flows including some duff acquistions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here