Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere tonight

Dickie1965

Sep 27, 2016
Couldn't make it last night due to illness but i have to say the atmosphere in the second half was very good on the TV especially after we scored. It was as though belief flooded through the team and fans alike and they pushed each other forward.

just as it should be.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The other thing that i have noticed over the years is that the first season a team gets promoted from the Championship their support is usually superb but steadily declines thereafter. Teams like Sunderland, Stoke & Swansea come to mind. I imagine that the first season the Prem is all new & shiny with new stadiums to visit but this novelty gradually wears thin as the slog of just trying to stay in the money league season after season grinds down their enthusiasm.

Yeah, I can well believe that. Sooner or later we'll either get ground down by the survival slog as you say, or we'll become moany fans with a sense of entitlement, annoyed that we haven't moved to the 'next level'. Then a 1-1- draw with a weakened Spurs team, won't be seen as anything like a good result.

Still, problems for another day!

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Yeah, I can well believe that. Sooner or later we'll either get ground down by the survival slog as you say, or we'll become moany fans with a sense of entitlement, annoyed that we haven't moved to the 'next level'. Then a 1-1- draw with a weakened Spurs team, won't be seen as anything like a good result.

That was some weakened team...

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I totally agree. The ground just isn’t designed right for atmosphere. The acoustics just don’t work and the north is too small. It is what it is. Palace had four stands giving it everything at times on Saturday (admittedly not all the way through). That has only happened at the Wednesday game at the Amex

The North is exactly the same design as the South. And some away fans have made loads of noise. The problem as I see it, is the North starts songs from the wings not the centre.

Thought last night was good in 2nd half particularly.

But not great.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
I’ve missed 2 more than you. It’s an opinion shared by a few. Some grounds worse/the same but most far outweigh ours

Well good for you going to all those away matches. May I ask were you the guy standing behind us away at Chelsea who moaned like for what seemed a good part of the match about Maty Ryan being too small? If you were then I can understand where your idiotic opinions are coming from. If not then I totally respect your right to hold such opinions but not to respect what those opinions are and therefore call them for what they are - e.g. idiotic! UTA:albion2:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
It was a great atmos (from the Bton fans), great team performance against one of the best teams in the land, under the lights on a warm evening, with a pleasing and deserved point. Lovely stuff.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Brilliant atmosphere last night, spine-tingling at times and definitely lifted the players. I left buzzing from the performance on and off the pitch. When the Spurs fans were in full voice too it was even more impressive, but you can forgive them not being as up for it as we were given the relative performances and result (and that's not saying Spurs played badly for a minute, they were far better than Arsenal).

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Sounded flat as ever. Think we need to come to terms with the fact that our atmosphere isn’t quite the same as other clubs and stop Pretending it’s any different. Some games it’s electric (shef wed 2nd leg) but in general it’s woeful compared to palace for example.

Truth hurts I know but it’s something we have to accept or almost unanimously look to change

Yes atmosphere is so important isn't it. That's why with the Palace atmosphere they are chasing a place in Europe and Arsenal's well known library are fighting relegation.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yes atmosphere is so important isn't it. That's why with the Palace atmosphere they are chasing a place in Europe and Arsenal's well known library are fighting relegation.

I think you have to compare the relative qualities of the sides, before you can comment on the difference an atmosphere makes. Arsenal have good enough players to get results playing in silence.

I would argue strongly that the support generated for Huddersfield has boosted their league position above their relative strength as a side. I also think our own support has helped us massively in the games against the bigger sides.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
I work in London, I've had 4 separate Spurs fans who were at the game last night come up to me and comment on how good our fans were last night and we were better than a lot of the home fans they've seen this season.

Guess folk have always got something to moan about

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I think you have to compare the relative qualities of the sides, before you can comment on the difference an atmosphere makes. Arsenal have good enough players to get results playing in silence.

I would argue strongly that the support generated for Huddersfield has boosted their league position above their relative strength as a side. I also think our own support has helped us massively in the games against the bigger sides.

My point is that atmosphere does not equal points and too much is made of the good or bad atmosphere in my opinion. Some people just like to sit and study the game and not jump and shout like the Palace Zulu's

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'd be WELL annoyed if I was sitting behind the guy who stands up AS the penalty is being taken....

[tweet]986371877206708224[/tweet]

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The North is exactly the same design as the South. And some away fans have made loads of noise. The problem as I see it, is the North starts songs from the wings not the centre.

Thought last night was good in 2nd half particularly.

But not great.

Shhh! You’re not allowed that opinion

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I was in the EU near the away end and thought the North did well. I much prefer our organic go-with-the-flow chanting. So much better than the drum drone crap that is served up by the likes of Palarse. The NS noise is the same as it was at the Goldstone IMHO, real. Just wish it was bigger. :shrug:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Thought it was very good tonight. The North was much more united than it has been all season.

Obviously, I don't go very often. But last night was the first time I have heard the North pretty much united. I think there was only a brief spell when the Police box side were singing a song that nobody either knew or wanted to join in with. There were loads of times when it seemed the whole stadium were starting together.
Well done everyone. Great atmosphere and a really enjoyable visit. (Especially improved when telling a Spurs fan staying at the same hotel that Kane's goal was actually an OG by Bruno:))

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here