Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Official Album of the Year 2016 Thread***

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
MantisShrimpMan4eva;7666 008 said:

If you can come to peace with the fact that he sounds exactly like Sting, there's some great tunes on the D. D. Dumbo debut.

Funny. Sting was the first thing I thought when I listened to this although I got some Neon Indian in there as well. I have since warmed to the album though.

As an aside, and I know pre-releases are around for some time before the official launch, but this album is a very recent release; is it possible to say an album is in your top 10 so soon? My judgement is mainly based on repeat listening which you cannot have much of if it's a late launch. I guess my question is how do people judge which albums are best?

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Glad to see the Wild Beasts record in [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]s list.

I know a few long term fans who were put off by its brashness and personally I don't think they'll ever top Two Dancers but I've really enjoyed their transformation from fey, understated indie boys, to full on sleazy rock stars.

Too many bands of their ilk are content to exist within self imposed restrictions.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I know a few long term fans who were put off by its brashness and personally I don't think they'll ever top Two Dancers but I've really enjoyed their transformation from fey, understated indie boys, to full on sleazy rock stars.

Too many bands of their ilk are content to exist within self imposed restrictions.

This 2016 album is the first of theirs that I've heard so can't comment on their earlier output but I'm a big fan of their, as you say, sleazy rock. It's also got a fair bit of oomph to it too, I bet they're a great live act.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This 2016 album is the first of theirs that I've heard so can't comment on their earlier output but I'm a big fan of their, as you say, sleazy rock. It's also got a fair bit of oomph to it too, I bet they're a great live act.

Ooooooh. Get stuck into this then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkkJCSduFS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sxh5zMbNAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5-fU9fYCIo

Admittedly, they probably should have been sued by The Cure for that last one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm a late convert to this band. I really didn't get or like their early stuff but thoroughly enjoying the more mature and electronic path they're now treading. Alpha Female and Celestial Creatures are two of my favourite tracks of 2016.

Saw them live as well, they apologised for Brexit :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can we do gigs of the year in this thread?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Resident just announced their top ten.
Cave at top,
Radiohead, Bowie, Kiwanuka, Obel, Underworld, Julia Jacklin, Josefin Ohrn, Thee Oh Sees, Christine and the Queens

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here