Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG - The BFC lowdown (as promised)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He looks very good in that video. Needs to be taken with a pinch of salt though as there is a reason Ulloa went for £10m and O'Grady £500k (obviously aside from differences in league and wealth) despite O'Grady probably looking the better player on video evidence alone.

Not to put him down though, I'm sure he'll be very useful but hope people won't now expect goals like that every game, plus the video doesn't show what he's doing for most of the 90 minutes. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Though how bonkers is it we are now spending £500k on support strikers? That was our recored fee only 3 years ago.

Similar purchase to when we bought Glenn Murray from a lower club as journey man striker.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Chris joined us from our near neighbours, Sheffield Wednesday.

He scored near enough a goal every other game. He created (directly) plenty. Indirectly, he assisted many more.

He led from the front. He can hold the ball up as good as anyone. He's strong, powerful and has the knack of positioning his body (his backside in most cases) in such a way that defenders can't get close enough to him. But he's also got great feet. He's not Zlatan, nor has he the technical qualities of a Messi or Ronaldo. But he's deceptively tricky. He can score from inside and outside the box, left foot, right foot, occasionally with his head. But he prefers the ball into feet. He's not quick, but those who deem him slow are being unkind. He's got a great turn of pace from standing starts that gets the ball out of his feet and in a position to smack it towards goal.

He can take a penalty well, although the couple that he missed last season pretty much cost us if you want to look at things like that. But then, were it not for his 15 goals we'd have been relegated by Xmas. We were that bad. Honestly, a handful of displays aside (one against you lot while COG was injured) it was about as bad a Barnsley side that I've seen in 26 seasons as a supporter. The season before that, we were awful for most of it but pulled off a remarkable run to stay up, COG being key to doing that. But all in all, he's done what he's done for us playing in a poor side low on confidence and beaten up on a regular basis. I can only imagine him being even more impressive were he in a capable side.

He's had lots of clubs, some of them loans, and on paper he's hardly a mouthwatering acquisition for you. He might turn out to be awful for you. He apparently was for Wednesday, despite him being their top scorer at the time they let us have him. But I seriously can't see him being awful for you. He's a terrific option to have, easy to love (works as hard as any striker) and will chip in with and create goals. Not to mention the fact that defenders know they've been in a game.

I'm sad to see him go. But we had to cash in, we have such a rebuild on our hands. But he's gone with near enough a 100% positive reaction from the fanbase, which says everything. I won't lie, I'm not really bothered about your club. Bit of an irrelevance to us as I'm sure we are to you. But from now on, I'll be looking out for your results and wishing COGba all the best.

Thanks for reading. Treat him well, eh?

And here's a quick video I cobbled together earlier:

Thanks for that. I come from the school that says a striker is only as good as those around him and (with no disrespect) scoring 15 times in what you say was a crap side is heartening.

I'm confident he will do well for us and don't think SH will leave him isolated

Wednesday :lolol: think everyone is crap ... even their own it would appear, which is pretty accurate I'd say

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Thanks for that. I can almost forgive you for spoiling one of the two games I flew back to England for last season (Almost!)

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
This post, amongst the prevalence of negative doom-mongery, is what makes the football community worthwhile. Here's a fan who really couldn't give a crap about us, but has taken the effort to make sure we give a fair chance to a player he has an affection for.

Football, eh? Sometimes it's really, really worthwhile.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Video of O'Grady looks promising too. A lot of different types of goals and takes a good penalty. Given our recent record on that front, I'd be tempted to pay £500K just for that!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thank [MENTION=25317]WhiteyBFC[/MENTION]. Chris O'Grady could turn out to be the next Glenn Murray.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Thanks [MENTION=25317]WhiteyBFC[/MENTION]

Barnsley are not an irrelevance to me as I've always had a soft spot them as my that's where my dad hailed from. Well Carlton to be precise, but close enough.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Cheers for that. Very disappointing signing for us obviously, but good to know that he has the potential to be useful.

Why very disappointing? He is the replacement for Barnes, not Ulloa.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The OP and the Thread he/she has created is tip top,the reason why NSC is as good as any out there-hat's off and all that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I won't lie, I'm not really bothered about your club. Bit of an irrelevance to us as I'm sure we are to you.
Fair enough - most of us are only really bothered about our own club too - but many thanks for an excellent post. Good luck for next season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
ogrady-signing-18jul14-ld229-1768815_478x359.jpg

-09debbae-6bc9-4460-a7a1-a38be2848083.jpeg

WhiteyBFC

Aug 23, 2012
Thanks [MENTION=25317]WhiteyBFC[/MENTION]

Barnsley are not an irrelevance to me as I've always had a soft spot them as my that's where my dad hailed from. Well Carlton to be precise, but close enough.
Small world, pal. I was born in Athersley, which is the next village, however, Carlton was my home in Barnsley from 2004 until 2012. I now live with my wonderful girlfriend in Bradford as I couldn't take her away from her family. I'm from Barnsley, I can handle not seeing mine. :cool:

This post, amongst the prevalence of negative doom-mongery, is what makes the football community worthwhile. Here's a fan who really couldn't give a crap about us, but has taken the effort to make sure we give a fair chance to a player he has an affection for.

Football, eh? Sometimes it's really, really worthwhile.
Thanks for that. Sums it up in a nutshell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here