Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Biggest FLOP of the season?

el punal

I was asked this today for a place I write a few words for now and again.

I had to go for Knockaert, but I was at pains to highlight that he'd not been a flop in the absolute sense, but had probably failed to live up to our and, probably, his own hopes for the season.

The only other possibility I could think of was Jurgen Locadia, but he arrived injured and has barely had a chance. I think we all thought we'd see more of him though.

Have I forgotten someone?

I think you’re being a bit hard on the boy. Disappointing yes, a flop? Definitely not. After such a stellar season last year it was always going to be difficult for him to reach the same heights of achievement. I seem to remember a certain Peter Ward in similar circumstances - absolutely on fire for two seasons then faded. I feel that AK needs to adapt more to Premier League football, which I think he’s doing, and although seeming to be high maintenance, I’d like to think that he’ll be a valuable asset for us for a few more years.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I don't think any of our team have been flops
The standard in this division is so much higher that it was always going to be more difficult to impress as a solo player like AK did last year. Team work and team spirit this year has been wonderful.
If I had a gun pointed at my head and was forced to choose one player I'd say that the loan acquisition of Izzy Brown was possibly a failure but, since he was injured in the very first game, that's probably unfair too.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ulloa? Not played football for a while but he looks a shadow of the player he was.

I think he looks a better player. His touch and awareness off the ball is class. Knows where he's going to pass it before it gets to him. I think you're being very harsh.

No major 'flops' for me either - that goes against the spirit of this club to be honest and is a typical 'mainstream' media kind of question.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think he looks a better player. His touch and awareness off the ball is class. Knows where he's going to pass it before it gets to him. I think you're being very harsh.

Agree with this although he was disappointing against Burnley - he definitely isn't fully match fit, and that only comes with game time.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I get asked to write a few words now and then, and do guest podcast slots.

If anyone had asked me that, I'd tell them to sod off. Not besmirching any players at this club for no good reason - and certainly not for the entertainment of other clubs' fans.

bells on this

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess we really ought to read the piece in question first.

It's ok though we can still burn Bozza after, it'll be a shame to waste good kindling.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I always describe one of my colleagues (she has no kids, btw) as someone who, hypothetically, if told by senior management that one of her kids had to die, would form a committee to determine which one. I think you may have fallen into a similar trap, here, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] :nono:???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I guess we really ought to read the piece in question first.

It's ok though we can still burn Bozza after, it'll be a shame to waste good kindling.

I'm in for a double burning from [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] as I forgot that Gross wasn't all that in his eyes. Or something...

1. Player of the season

Pascal Gross has been much lauded as one of, if not the, bargain buys of the season. HIs Summer move from German side Inglstadt was for pennies relative to other transfers taking place in the same window, but he has performed well above that modest fee. Immediately becoming Albion's creator-in-chief, he has also weighed in with some vital goals, and he's made the Cruyff Turn a regular thing at the Amex - and that can't be a bad thing. After such an outstanding first campaign in English football, I'd fear for our ability to retain him, but his lack of pace will probably be enough to put off the top sides.

2. Flop of the season

Anthony Knockaert. Our beloved little Frenchman has not been a flop in the absolute sense, but both we, and he I'm sure, had great hopes of building on last year's Championship Player of the season award, but it feels like it just hasn't really clicked for him. He still seems to be suffering from the loss of his father, and that can't have helped him. His frustrations boiled over at Goodison Park, resulting in a red card and a few games on the sidelines. We all hope to see him back to his old self next season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I always describe one of my colleagues (she has no kids, btw) as someone who, hypothetically, if told by senior management that one of her kids had to die, would form a committee to determine which one. I think you may have fallen into a similar trap, here, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] :nono:???

Not at all. I'm just an utter mercenary. You want to pay me for my random drunken thoughts? Sure thing - here they are...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If AK is a flop then why is he still playing first team football??? He might not have met our high expectations but he has done well enough.

Sutner was a couple of million and has played first team games and generally done ok, good at attacking not so good at defending. If we could merge Bong and his games we would have a excellent player who we would have to pay 30million.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I'm not sure I would say anyone has been a flop this season. I think every squad player has made a positive contribution to the team this season. Harder to argue for fringe players like Skalak, Baldock, BFG etc but I am sure you get my point.

As for AK, maybe I am in a small monority on this, but I am not sure what people were expecting from him, Maybe I thought he might take control of one or two games this season and drag the team to a victory, but we have had Gross and Murray doing that for us which has really reduced the pressure on AK being our stand out performer, I would say however I expect more from him next season now he has had a chance to settle in to the league.

Lets not forget if it wasn't for AK (Ryan and Dunk as well) and his goal line clearence, we would have lost to Stoke and been in a much worse position than we are currently.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
At no point have i wanted the ground to swallow up any of the players iv'e watched this season , non look out of place and those that have replaced injured or banned players have stepped up to the plate , Knocky has had less impact this season because he is up against a better standard defender plus he spends 37.6 % of his 90 minutes match day defending rather than where he is most dangerous , really can't call Brown a flop the poor bloke suffered 2 bad injuries , when you look at how far this football club has come since the appointment of CH it's phenomenal , when you add to the mix the progress of the U23s , no flops at all .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not at all. I'm just an utter mercenary. You want to pay me for my random drunken thoughts? Sure thing - here they are...

:bowdown:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm in for a double burning from [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] as I forgot that Gross wasn't all that in his eyes. Or something...

1. Player of the season

Pascal Gross has been much lauded as one of, if not the, bargain buys of the season. HIs Summer move from German side Inglstadt was for pennies relative to other transfers taking place in the same window, but he has performed well above that modest fee. Immediately becoming Albion's creator-in-chief, he has also weighed in with some vital goals, and he's made the Cruyff Turn a regular thing at the Amex - and that can't be a bad thing. After such an outstanding first campaign in English football, I'd fear for our ability to retain him, but his lack of pace will probably be enough to put off the top sides.

2. Flop of the season

Anthony Knockaert. Our beloved little Frenchman has not been a flop in the absolute sense, but both we, and he I'm sure, had great hopes of building on last year's Championship Player of the season award, but it feels like it just hasn't really clicked for him. He still seems to be suffering from the loss of his father, and that can't have helped him. His frustrations boiled over at Goodison Park, resulting in a red card and a few games on the sidelines. We all hope to see him back to his old self next season.

That seems pretty fair enough – I get what you're saying about him not being a flop. A lot of people expected more – especially after winning the Championship POTS*– and I'm sure he did too. That's not to say he's been pony, because he clearly hasn't, but he hasn't been as impressive as he was last season either.

As others have says, there have been no really duffers – maybe those who haven't been given enough opportunity, but that alone means that it's pretty harsh to label them a flop.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That seems pretty fair enough – I get what you're saying about him not being a flop. A lot of people expected more – especially after winning the Championship POTS*– and I'm sure he did too. That's not to say he's been pony, because he clearly hasn't, but he hasn't been as impressive as he was last season either.

As others have says, there have been no really duffers – maybe those who haven't been given enough opportunity, but that alone means that it's pretty harsh to label them a flop.

Very much so. My initial reaction was one similar to [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION]: no one has been a flop. It's been an incredible squad performance to get us to where we are right now, on the cusp of a second consecutive Premier League season.

So, my thoughts turned to who has maybe disappointed a little and Knockaert was who I thought of. That's not to say I don't like him - he's one of my favourite all-time Albion players. I completely get that he's up against a different calibre of defender now and that he continually works his absolute arse off.

But whilst I certainly don't expect him to leave every full-back on their arse each and every game, I do expect some greater quality when he has the opportunity to deliver into the box, and he's been either hitting the first man or over-hitting balls far too often for my liking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's been a couple of weeks since I trolled this old chestnut out.

AK & Solly's only 'problem' is that so many posters thought they were better than they actually are, and that's not their fault..
There was talk of double figure goal tallies EACH, and international call-ups.

The discussion only ever pays lip service to 'I know they are against better players' because that's instantly followed by "but".

At no point has the manager and his tactics been taken into account.

Can anyone remember the 'Championship Player of the Season' spending last season BEHIND Bruno?
No, I thought not.

Sure AK's crossing hasn't been great, but guess what the quantity of Albion players in the box to aim at can be counted on the fingers of a man with only 1 finger.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think that is harsh on Knockaert. I predicted exactly what was going to happen. Yes he has rarely lit games up, but how often has he had the chance to? Spent a lot of the early part of the season defending, which undoubtedly gave him confidence and frustration issues, then he was in and out. Since we have expanded our play more and Izqueirdo has hit form Knockaert has looked a better player. Overall on the flop side of things I really couldn't pick one, but if I had to I'd probably have March on a par with Knockaert. You could also argue that Izqueirdo was an early flop, but came good in the end.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Rohan Ince.

Disappointed he didn't STORM league 1 and make a name for himself as a midfield enforcer of note.

Even if Bury are shit (and appears that they are) .... I thought he had the ability to dominate at that level.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
ps) I'm slightly in agreement with Large One on the Gross front. Great on the ball, fantastic runner, but imagine what he would be if he had pace. I wonder at what stage he will get replaced by a faster player who is as good on the ball. I guess that is why the big clubs didn't look at him and it's probably why he won't ever leave for a bigger club. I still believe we have the slowest forward front 2 we have ever had, but learning to use Izquierdo's pace to compensate has turned our season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here