Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drug epidemic off Wellington Road, close to primary School are drugs taking over Brighton?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes so let's just leave it to the criminal gangs who supply drugs to people who have no idea what they're taking...

Yes, we might as well. How do you safely and legally control a population with legal access to all drugs ? just look at the huge problems controlling alcohol alone then think what happens if someone Is driving after Beer, dope and cocaine or other multiple combinations of drugs. As far as I can see the only safe way is to get the Russian government to control drugs.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yes, we might as well. How do you safely and legally control a population with legal access to all drugs ? just look at the huge problems controlling alcohol alone then think what happens if someone Is driving after Beer, dope and cocaine or other multiple combinations of drugs. As far as I can see the only safe way is to get the Russian government to control drugs.

There's a difference between decriminalisation and legalisation. People are going to take drugs anyway, the driving thing that you're talking about is already happening. You either leave it to the gangs and have a self perpetuating mess of crime, cost, death and misery or you control it and stamp the vast majority of that out. It's never going to be a perfect situation but current policy has been proven to not work and to make everything worse, forever. If the only thing stopping you is the idea that it'll be difficult to stop people driving when on drugs (which they already are) then there should be nothing stopping you.

Why have the police and the Argus decided to co-operate on producing this story now? It seems to be intended to direct the dealers and the users to congregate in a particular locality, rather than spread their activities over a wider area. [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] may not have seen much evidence of dealing going on in his neighbourhood. Yet. But this might now change.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
When asked earlier this year about the legalisation of drugs, the then prime minister DC said 'We are winning the war against drugs'.
I remember this phase from my childhood and thought how wonderful to hear that we are still winning this war that has only been going on for 104 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16681673

We have a perfect model of how legalisation would save many lives, the prohibition of alcohol in the USA during the 1920's.
Illegal stills soon appeared resulting in some unsafe alcohol blinding, poisoning and killing people. The authorities wagged war against the industry for some years until the new president saw the futility of the situation and stopped the war, virtually killing the criminal element by legalising alcohol resulting in people being able to consume a relatively safe mind altering substance.

Its hardly rocket surgery

Good point. I agree totally.

With regard to the first post about the situation in Elm Grove area, I think community awareness and some sensible 'non-confrontational' aversion tactics would be a good thing to look at. The Police have community schemes and all it takes is residents to form an action group and liaise with the Police/Council on how they can dissuade these activities and deal with the associated risks. security lighting, surveillance cameras, needle (sharps) boxes etc. It's surprising what a community can achieve when they pull together.
Brighton has always had a very active drug scene but the police are still struggling to deal with it. Until the gov do something sensible about it the situation will continue and unfortunately, even if the problem around Elm Grove is 'moved on' it just means another area in Btn will become a target.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove

People are doing that anyway. People will always take drugs no matter what so criminalizing it is not the answer. It still baffles me that alcohol is deemed fine when in reality alcohol is just as damaging if not worse to people's health and behavior than many drugs.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hmmm...speaking as someone who lives in a road of Franklin Road and who walks down it every day, I can honestly say that I've never seen anything resembling drug-dealing or drug-taking happening in the Franklin Street or Wellington Road nor in Hastings Road. As for "virtual no-go areas" that's complete and utter rubbish. No-go areas for whom? With price properties rising and the increase in new student residences being built elsewhere there's more families moving to the area than at any time in the 20 years I've lived here.

We've got a few homeless beggars who hang around the Co-Op but they are harmless and there's no proliferation of street drinkers like there is in London Road, the Level or St James Street. I also never ever see police around the area either. I have my suspicions about a drug-dealer living in one of the flats above the Working Men's Club at the bottom of Elm Grove going by the people I see hanging around there sometimes in the early hours but nothing in the immediate Franklin Road/Wellington Road area.

This quote in particular: Detective Sergeant Julian Deans singled out Franklin Road, Hastings Road, Wellington Road as virtual no-go areas because of the high levels of drug dealing.
He said: “You go into these streets and 90 per cent of people living there are decent honest people. But drug dealers are coming and going 24/7. Drug users are shooting up in the stairwells."
...If that were the case I'd see drugs paraphernalia, even occasionally like I often do at the Level. Sorry, I just don't recognise this description at all.

This. I live pretty close too and I thought this article was total bollocks from beginning to end. Is there drugs in the area, yeah of course there is, but no worse than most areas of Brighton. With a couple of exceptions like the level, drug taking in Brighton is in my experience relatively low key in public, this is without doubt a town with a serious drug problem but not especially on the streets and certainly there are no, no go areas in this city, not even if Whitehawk. I think compared to London we don't have anything like the levels of drug related violence seen there although it is getting worse here the Argus article is a gross exaggeration and scaremongering to boot.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
People are doing that anyway. People will always take drugs no matter what so criminalizing it is not the answer. It still baffles me that alcohol is deemed fine when in reality alcohol is just as damaging if not worse to people's health and behavior than many drugs.

I don't think you get my point. How would we cope with a load of people now taking drugs that would have been legalised ? Yes, lots of people are already taking drugs so what happens on a Friday night in Brighton when on top of the regular users of drugs there is a huge upswing of people trying them because they can ! ...... I for one would not want to be a copper or working in A&E .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We all get off our tits sometimes. What we choose to ingest is irrelevant. No poison is better than the next. Some are a bit more addictive. Booze is one of the worst. And laws are foolhardy.

Why thank you for your wise words Professor Yaffle...

???

Attachments

• 847813a3001c999cc8bbd0176341047d.jpg
    847813a3001c999cc8bbd0176341047d.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 227

Jan 30, 2008
Loads of student digs in the area , last time I spoke to the caretaker at the
school he was more concerened with them shagging in the street outside his house ,napier house ???
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hmmm...speaking as someone who lives in a road of Franklin Road and who walks down it every day, I can honestly say that I've never seen anything resembling drug-dealing or drug-taking happening in the Franklin Street or Wellington Road nor in Hastings Road. As for "virtual no-go areas" that's complete and utter rubbish. No-go areas for whom? With price properties rising and the increase in new student residences being built elsewhere there's more families moving to the area than at any time in the 20 years I've lived here.

We've got a few homeless beggars who hang around the Co-Op but they are harmless and there's no proliferation of street drinkers like there is in London Road, the Level or St James Street. I also never ever see police around the area either. I have my suspicions about a drug-dealer living in one of the flats above the Working Men's Club at the bottom of Elm Grove going by the people I see hanging around there sometimes in the early hours but nothing in the immediate Franklin Road/Wellington Road area.

This quote in particular: Detective Sergeant Julian Deans singled out Franklin Road, Hastings Road, Wellington Road as virtual no-go areas because of the high levels of drug dealing.
He said: “You go into these streets and 90 per cent of people living there are decent honest people. But drug dealers are coming and going 24/7. Drug users are shooting up in the stairwells."
...If that were the case I'd see drugs paraphernalia, even occasionally like I often do at the Level. Sorry, I just don't recognise this description at all.
I live at the bottom of franklin road and I've seen a few deals right outside my house

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the quality of the drugs are getting worse, they're definitely being cut with some stepped on shit.

And the quality of people taking drugs is getting worse. There was a time when it was just members of Duran Duran and the odd royal having a cheeky line of Charlie. These days you even get builders racking up in your local.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I don't think you get my point. How would we cope with a load of people now taking drugs that would have been legalised ? Yes, lots of people are already taking drugs so what happens on a Friday night in Brighton when on top of the regular users of drugs there is a huge upswing of people trying them because they can ! ...... I for one would not want to be a copper or working in A&E .

In my view the fact that drugs are illegal does not stop people taking them. If anything it makes people want to take them more, as it's a feeling of doing something they're 'not supposed to be doing'. I get your point. I just don't think the consumption of drugs would change very much were they to be decriminalized/legalized.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I live at the bottom of franklin road and I've seen a few deals right outside my house

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I have actually seen a couple in a beat up old red car on Franklin road just past the pub on the left hand side near that big tree that sticks out, and they had just jacked up, belt round the arm still on the young girl....

What ya gonna do though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here