Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex capacity increase - if so where?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'd rather be in a packed stadium every week where people have to put in a bit of effort to get a ticket than a half empty one full of glory hunters :shrug:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I was asked by an Arsenal fan at the weekend "Was it easy to get a season ticket?", the answer, of course, was yes, once you bought the first in '99 the rest just followed!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
As someone has said it needs a decent ticket exchange. Most kids cannot go to a mid week game so you need an easy way to sell them on. If you get this up and running it would be a brilliant atmosphere every week.

And some adults, I struggle to get home from mid week games and have sadly missed quite a few this season.

need to improve the infrastructure first... and the toilets so that the queues are shortter and easier to wash your hands.

All that space in the middle wasted. Could fit in another row back to back in the middle.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I've tried finding the thread but to no avail; does anyone have the picture from a couple of years ago of the AMEX that had been photoshopped with just so many tiers?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To think when we were at the development and planning stage of The Amex many long standing supporters, myself included, said the hard core fan base was about 7,000 so a 20,000 capacity would more than accommodate the JCL.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't think there is the space for any concourses and catering facilities in the south east corner or above the north but maybe some more executive boxes

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
We have no need for any expansion. We just about sell out at our dizzy heights right now. The 'big boys' will sell out for the half/half scarves but games like Watford and Burnley will get about 28k.
Stadium is about right.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
The club could fund an expansion of Falmer station to make it capable of taking 12-carriage trains, almost instantly providing transport capacity to shift an extra 5-6k people away from the ground with the same number of trains in the same period of time.

HOWEVER... SASTA are not a strategic partner capable of delivering 12 carriage trains consistently to either weekday evening games (of which we will have an increase) or saturday afternoon games.

What would be interesting would be for the club to take over the franchise for the Brighton - Lewis line and run their own 12-carriage trains on match days and lease the line/rolling stock back to SASTA the rest of the time.

It would be a truly unique offering... Blue and White trains running from Brighton & Lewis to a Blue and White liveried station outside the ground - full but not over-full services every 15mins in each direction pre- and post- match.

Of course it would never happen... but it would have looked spectacular!

Unfortunately it is not that simple. The trains would have to turn around at Newhaven Marine as you'd block the line to Seaford/Eastbourne if you tried to turn them at Lewes, you can't realistically run them to Seaford without massive investment in the power supply capabilities on the Seaford branch.

It is also not completely down to SASTA, Network Rail handle pretty much everything in terms of the railway except the trains that actually run on the network so it would be down to the club and NR to improve the infrastructure to implement your idea and that would take up virtually all the extra money we may get if we do go up.

Apart from that it is a top idea.

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Maybe they could build a lego stand near the bus car park ......suspended in the air by a crane. On 80 minutes the crane could bring the stand down to car ark level and fans could access the buses even earlier than now. We could name it The 80 minute stand!
******* - I've got coffee all over my computer screen now !!!

I don't think there is the space for any concourses and catering facilities in the south east corner or above the north but maybe some more executive boxes

Yeah I'm sure the following reply has already been done but here goes,

You might get another 3 or 4 thousand watching the match but the concourses weren't designed for it and the traffic public transport links can't cope, so no I can't see it happening. I believe 30,000 is about right for us, let's not go mad

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Money no object then of course capacity could be increased. However is it economically viable. We've only sold out a few times over the last 5 years. We only have about 1700 on the season ticket waiting list. We don't know how next season will pan out and, if not favourably, the renewal rate following a relegation.

The club have repeatedly said that any significant increase would require the removal of the whole of the roofing. I suspect that isn't something that could be accomplished during the close season. There would have to be a sea change in the travel schemes and the planning agreement. Of course, if we become as successful as Barcelona then we could knock down the village of Falmer and build an 80k seat stadium there and use the Amex for the reserve and youth teams etc!!!!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The only way to get more fans in the Amex, is smaller fans.

As from June 30th, no fan who weighs more than 12 stone will be allowed a season ticket, anyone with a BMA over 30, is definitely banned, and if your arse is wider than14 inches you will have to sit on someones lap

I love this! My BMI is perfect so I'm in.

Although I did lie on a couple of the questions.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Money no object then of course capacity could be increased. However is it economically viable. We've only sold out a few times over the last 5 years. We only have about 1700 on the season ticket waiting list. We don't know how next season will pan out and, if not favourably, the renewal rate following a relegation.

The club have repeatedly said that any significant increase would require the removal of the whole of the roofing. I suspect that isn't something that could be accomplished during the close season. There would have to be a sea change in the travel schemes and the planning agreement. Of course, if we become as successful as Barcelona then we could knock down the village of Falmer and build an 80k seat stadium there and use the Amex for the reserve and youth teams etc!!!!

But... this subject has been done to death. :rolleyes:

Natterjack, the Swansea fan who was stadium project manager or some such, and who was a regular poster before being told off, stated the stadium capacity could be increased to 35K without major structural changes. The club more recently suggested there won't be any substantive increases in size.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Fill the ground for hopefully at least a couple or more years in the PL, even against the less fashionable clubs and as the waiting list grows, then i'm certain by some miracle there will be various options available without taking the entire roof off.

Right now it's a taboo subject, the club (TB,PB) simply don't want to talk about it, as it is not on the agenda. We have a text book sized list of higher priorities.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
There's some truth in this. I was once told by a club employee that more seats could be fitted behind the existing seats but the club would have to re-house the offices currently using that space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Offices / Dicks / Museum can move as part of the Hotel construction.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here