Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Akpom

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Murray defends Akpom today in the Argus via
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/151...er___and_defends_Albion_strike_partner_Akpom/

Getting on his back is "exactly what we don't want" says Glenn.

"The first half would have been difficult for anyone. It was that type of game, neither team wanted to give much and I didn't think it really opened up second half either.
"It was just one of those games where just one chance and luckily that fell to us.
"I can't see how people can get on his back and that's exactly what we don't want. Chuba was trying his best.
"I'm sure they wouldn't have been on his back if he'd curled one in from 25 yards. It's fickle in my eyes. We need everyone."
Yep. Agree with GM 100%.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Want him to do well, and sure he's got bags of talent....

... a month or so ago I took my daughter to get autographs of the players, and Akpom stood out - first for having a huge showy car, which at his age and pedigree seemed well over the top, secondly for being the last player to arrive and running up the hill presumably hoping not to be bollocked for being late (and then running back to get something he forgot, and a rather resigned trudge back-up again)

Interesting stuff and hope we aren't paying him much for that sort of attitude.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ungrateful, narrow minded, bloviating, Albion 'fans', have always needed to boo someone - feck knows why :shrug:

As it stands it would seem if it weren't Akpom being boo'ed, inexplicably Skalak may well have been on the receiving end of some of that treatment, instead.

Booing Akpom is probably the lesser of 2 evils.

Next season it'll be Hughton, for losing back to back matches with Chelsea and Utd.

#twats

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I genuinely don't really get this idea that Akpom didn't TRY.

(Not suggesting he was absolutely busting a gut, but) he was TRYING. He just wasn't very GOOD.

For the record, in 34 years of going, I've only booed / heckled TWO Albion players. Kemy Agustien in one match when he genuinely was NOT trying, and Adrian Colunga (who I liked) when he got a second yellow, with a minute to go, and refused to leave the pitch quickly, even though we were a goal down.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Idiotic fans that boo their own players.

But he is not our own players is he?

He is the latest in an ever-growing list of loan strikers who don't give a stuff. Obika was hopeless but at least he tried; wasn't his fault he didn't have the skills or talent to make it at top Championship level.

Akpom was a disgrace and an embarrassment. Not since Leon Best have we had a player so unworthy of wearing the stripes. Hopefully we will never see him again.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I genuinely don't really get this idea that Akpom didn't TRY.

(Not suggesting he was absolutely busting a gut, but) he was TRYING. He just wasn't very GOOD.

Not sure AK would totally agree, in the first half he went ape with the lack of speed moving forward. Also, closing down of the away 'Keeper was NONE. We are the home side, in need of victory against a lower side. Urgency should be paramount.
Being the younger of the front two, it should be his job mostly, Murray knackered himself it was clear trying to do this in the second half.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
No way did Akpom deserve booing. He just looked horribly out of his depth at this level, almost like a non-league player. Spent the hour he was on the pitch mainly hiding or playing timid inconsequential two yard passes. Might as well ship him back to Arsenal now. He's no use to us at this stage in the game. Next time they ship him back out, they should ship him down another level to build up his confidence a bit, and maybe discover some real hunger for the game. He was just a passenger today.

Suggesting he "looked horribly out of his depth at this level...." would indicate that CH and the scouting team recruited somebody who doesn't have the skills to play for a top Championship side. I would not like to think that is the case.

He's just another billy big bollox with a Kemy / Leon Best attitude. He knows he aint staying. He knows Arsenal are going to pay him his (probably over-inflated) wedge anyway. So why should he give a shit? Oh wait. He didn't.

BHA Haywards Heath

Jan 31, 2012
Tbh i think Akpom got a slightly raw deal. Murray was playing terribly for most of the game as well, and gave Akpom nothing - held nothing up and played nothing on. Murray just has that goal scorers knack of getting one even when he is playing garbage or injured or whatever it was.

Booing someone's first full start for the club is an incredibly moronic thing to do - especially when we are riding high as we are - just enjoy it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Booing someone's first full start for the club is an incredibly moronic thing to do - especially when we are riding high as we are - just enjoy it.

Just wait until we get promoted and get 3 losses and a draw out of our first 4 games in the Prem! Booooooooooooooooooooooooo

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure AK would totally agree, in the first half he went ape with the lack of speed moving forward. Also, closing down of the away 'Keeper was NONE. We are the home side, in need of victory against a lower side. Urgency should be paramount.
Being the younger of the front two, it should be his job mostly, Murray knackered himself it was clear trying to do this in the second half.

Yes, I saw that. Knockaert wasn't going 'ape' just at Akpom, though - he was annoyed about pressing on his own, and was screaming, and gesticulating for the whole team to be pressing forward.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've had a day or so to ponder on this. For starters I always think its bang out order to single out and boo one individual player. Boo the team if they all put in a sub-par performance but directing all of that to one, very young, player is in absolutely no way beneficial.

Having said that he did look like he couldn't give a shit. At the time I put it down to a couple of things; he's being asked to play the Baldock role and really only Baldock can play the Baldock role and that it was his first start at the club, having been limited to a handful of sub appearances before. The more I've thought about it though I would have hoped that he would've realised this was a big chance for him to make a name for himself here or to impress his parent club and he really didn't do anything of the sort.

A shame. But again, he shouldn't have been booed off.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I feel a little sorry for players who are obviously paid too much and think that
it will last forever. Someone needs to sit Akpom down and say - "it's not a
good idea to not give a s*it about trying here". In two years time you'll be a
fringe player in League 1 if you carry on. I do not agree with booing players
but he has to understand that trying is VERY LEAST he has to do.

Worst Limerick ever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here