Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richie Towell wanted

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Midfielder or forward Towell scored 25 goals for Dundalk the season before lhe joined us. Shows he has an eye for the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And when playing in the Baldock role against MK Dons, he spent more time on the edge of his own box than the opposition's. He is an attacking midfielder by instinct, not a number 10.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And when playing in the Baldock role against MK Dons, he spent more time on the edge of his own box than the opposition's. He is an attacking midfielder by instinct, not a number 10.

Yes, it was mentioned on the radio commentary that he was playing far too deep. Wonder why that was - can't have been team orders, surely? Perhaps he was trying too hard, too desperate to get involved. He hasn't had many chances to make an impression. In positional terms, after all, an attacking midfielder (who scores hatfulls of goals) isn't far removed from a number 10.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yes, it was mentioned on the radio commentary that he was playing far too deep. Wonder why that was - can't have been team orders, surely? Perhaps he was trying too hard, too desperate to get involved. He hasn't had many chances to make an impression. In positional terms, after all, an attacking midfielder (who scores hatfulls of goals) isn't far removed from a number 10.
From memory, he was described as a box to box player in the mould of Lampard. Big difference between making late runs into the box and feeding off a big man whilst dragging defenders around. Hemed was isolated far too many times in the cup by his natural tendency to hang back. Haven't seen enough of him to judge but I'm not sure how he would fit into a 4-4-2. We would need to be 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 for him to play from the little I have seen.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
From memory, he was described as a box to box player in the mould of Lampard. Big difference between making late runs into the box and feeding off a big man whilst dragging defenders around. Hemed was isolated far too many times in the cup by his natural tendency to hang back. Haven't seen enough of him to judge but I'm not sure how he would fit into a 4-4-2. We would need to be 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 for him to play from the little I have seen.
We wouldn't have a number 10 in a 4-4-2. Towell's place would be the first '1' in a 4-4-1-1 line-up.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
We wouldn't have a number 10 in a 4-4-2. Towell's place would be the first '1' in a 4-4-1-1 line-up.
???
Number 10 is the second striker in a 4-4-2 - the small man who plays with a target man. Surely Baldock is a number 10 and plays in our 4-4-2?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
???
Number 10 is the second striker in a 4-4-2 - the small man who plays with a target man. Surely Baldock is a number 10 and plays in our 4-4-2?

No.10 normally plays slightly behind the main striker, yes? You could make a case for saying that with Baldock we're playing something that's as much 4-4-1-1 as 4-4-2 anyway. Murray and Hemed together would be more like a conventional 4-4-2.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
No.10 normally plays slightly behind the main striker, yes? You could make a case for saying that with Baldock we're playing something that's as much 4-4-1-1 as 4-4-2 anyway. Murray and Hemed together would be more like a conventional 4-4-2.
Well as they make the same run so much, I would suggest that Murray and Hemed play in a 4-4-1. I would argue that Baldock is a deep lying/defensive striker and that is always a striker, not an attacking midfielder. If we play 4-4-1-1 now, Towell would not work in that formation. But we don't. If anything, Baldock and Murray rotate as to which drops into the hole at times. Both are strikers but not the same type of player.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A quick Google suggests that my definition of a number 10 may differ from others. Suffice it to say, Towell is not a Baldock replacement! :blush::angel:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well as they make the same run so much, I would suggest that Murray and Hemed play in a 4-4-1. I would argue that Baldock is a deep lying/defensive striker and that is always a striker, not an attacking midfielder. If we play 4-4-1-1 now, Towell would not work in that formation.
Guess we'll never know if it works if Murray and Towell together never gets tried.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
https://youtu.be/OzmQpGiyGN0

Here are 25 goals for Dundle. You can judge for yourself if he could play the Baldock role.
Sent my iPhone using Tapatalk
Free Kicks, Penalties and goals from an attacking midfield position. I don't get your point. The kid can score and would appear to be very good in the position he plays. It just doesn't seem to be a position that exists in our current formation.

sabre

Nov 30, 2015
Keep Towell. Let Ince go on loan as he will never get a chance in the system we play.

for Dundalk Towell played as a #8 in a 4141 formation....that's where he got his goals, overlapping the lone striker....similar to his cup goal a couple of weeks ago.

But at the moment he isn't in the match day squad, and he isn;t playing for the U23.

Look at his former team mate, Daryl Horgan, who is doing great things at Preston.....the two are similar quality

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Fully appreciate you are a Dundalk and Towell supporter. I have seen Towell play and have no doubt he is good enough. However fact is we are top of league and players like March, Kayal,Norwood,Hemed are also not getting game time. The only reason Hogan is playing for Preston is because they are not doing as well. Towell can only hope for a blip or a run of injuries.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Saw Richie Towell walking past the Connaught theatre in Worthing last Friday afternoon. He was humming to himself and his thighs are HUGE.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
This why NSC is amazing.
Massive game tonight, first thing I see is people giving out free grammar advice.

Come on Brighton, cannot wait for the game!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here