Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We export pensioners and import working age people - this is a good thing ??? Across the Western world, and beyond, thinking about it (Japan, and even China) populations are getting older. We need young people to pay into the system to support them. I know that the UK and US are among the few countries in the developed world bucking this trend. In the UK this is thanks to inward migration. This is very healthy for the economy, no where can attract talent like the UK can. .

Your reasoning is sound,you have obviously considered all the implications.
I propose we actively try and recruit young people from China and and other far east countries(very clever and bright) to make our economy even stronger.
100 million should do it at say 10 million people a year.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
NO ONE has said close the door to EU migrants,yet you lot spout this rubbish every now and then.
i am not surprised you cant comprehend Brexit arguments.
You are unable to understand the concept of a controlled immigration policy when you simply believe it means shutting up shop.

I don't know the whole Brexit argument seems to focus around immigration. I don't know what the Brexit alternative is anyway. A points based system? based on what? Right now a down-on-their-luck Spaniard can rock up and scrap together a life working odd jobs and getting the ball rolling. I knew one that did exactly this in Brighton. I knew a French guy who worked in a few bars in Brighton, got a job with Amex and followed that path leading to a career in Canada in the same industry. None of these people had essential and desperately needed skills but they made it work and paid their own way. Not long ago I met a Hungarian guy who decided to move to London and find a job rather than go to uni back home. It was tough but he did it and found a job, and is paying taxes here. To me this is very impressive and admirable.

A Romanian can arrive and start washing cars, put together a few quid to send home to his family. Then he finds a better job, creates a life and so on. Or he goes home again. Fine. I honestly have no problem with this whatsoever. Good luck to those trying to take advantage of the EU and build a better life.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
A Romanian can arrive and start washing cars, put together a few quid to send home to his family. Then he finds a better job, creates a life and so on. Or he goes home again. Fine. I honestly have no problem with this whatsoever.

Yes alot of migrants send money back home whereas British workers pump more money back into the UK economy.

I remember seeing a news report showing a whole bunch of houses that had been built in Romania with money earned in the UK.

You say you don't have a problem with this but you would if your ceiling was reached.What's your ceiling?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I don't know the whole Brexit argument seems to focus around immigration. I don't know what the Brexit alternative is anyway. A points based system? based on what? Right now a down-on-their-luck Spaniard can rock up and scrap together a life working odd jobs and getting the ball rolling. I knew one that did exactly this in Brighton. I knew a French guy who worked in a few bars in Brighton, got a job with Amex and followed that path leading to a career in Canada in the same industry. None of these people had essential and desperately needed skills but they made it work and paid their own way. Not long ago I met a Hungarian guy who decided to move to London and find a job rather than go to uni back home. It was tough but he did it and found a job, and is paying taxes here. To me this is very impressive and admirable.

A Romanian can arrive and start washing cars, put together a few quid to send home to his family. Then he finds a better job, creates a life and so on. Or he goes home again. Fine. I honestly have no problem with this whatsoever. Good luck to those trying to take advantage of the EU and build a better life

what has any of this got to do with you wrongly believing a Brexit means closing the borders

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
EU lemons or would you accept from anywhere in the world....

Obviously only those with this sticker:
igp_en.gif

Such as Limones Costa d'Amalfi, for example (!)

http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/quality/door/registeredName.html?denominationId=398

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Yes alot of migrants send money back home whereas British workers pump more money back into the UK economy.

I remember seeing a news report showing a whole bunch of houses that had been built in Romania with money earned in the UK.

You say you don't have a problem with this but you would if your ceiling was reached.What's your ceiling?

Until the UK is unrecognisable I suppose, but all these Europeans look like the natives anyway so how could I tell? London already doesn't feel like the rest of the UK and outside of London I don't meet too many non-native people anyway :shrug:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You'll also notice that food from the EU will be more expensive because of the reintroduction of tariffs :whistle:

im sure people wont mind paying a couple of pennies more for their Boursin or their "swiss" Emmental which is knocked up in the Czech Republic anyway.
When they know the plus side is home grown producers will have a better advantage.
this will also help end the ridiculous situation where farmers in this country throw away tonnes and tonnes of perfectly good home grown produce because a product looks prettier from elsewhere.
And if well known UK brands have moved to Europe for cheap labour packaging they will maybe consider returning to the UK and create jobs here.
i see only positives for British producers and consumers here especially as there is a growing awareness and a focus amongst British consumers to push our supermarkets to stock more and more home grown produce.
Consumers are growing more aware of green issues and less keen on products that are freighted in from hundreds of miles away.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
im sure people wont mind paying a couple of pennies more for their Boursin or their "swiss" Emmental which is knocked up in the Czech Republic anyway.
and come to think of it will there even be a price rise consumers would notice on a pack of boursin when you factor in supermarkets always competing on prices,and the wide variety of different charges for the same product in different establishments that can far outway the initial tariff cost in the first place

Am genuinely torn. Would probably vote Remain out of loyalty to Jezza but it depends how much I'm patronised by the In crowd over the next few weeks

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Am genuinely torn. Would probably vote Remain out of loyalty to Jezza but it depends how much I'm patronised by the In crowd over the next few weeks

I would simply look at all the issues,get as much info as you can and make a decision that feels right.
On this occasion i would certainly put no sway on a like or dislike of a politician whether it be Corbyn, Cameron, Farage or Gove
This issue is far too important than which politician you like or which one winds you up. They are simple bit players in this issue.
Their relevance is by definition (a referendum for the people) totally irrelevant.

Look at [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] ,he is a good example, he is loyal to Europe and loyal to Corbyn. Corbyn wants an end to TTIP but [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] supports the EU and TTIP as his loyalty is to The EU more, he trusts them to make trade deals on his behalf. He is prepared to say his leader Corbyn is wrong.

Issues win the day over individuals every day.

D

Deleted member 22389

Now house prices will come down if we Brexit, I think that's bullshit first off. IN or OUT I couldn't give a shit anyway, if my own house came down in value, it wouldn't bother me. I would just be happy to see first time buyers getting a chance to owning their own property. The cost of housing in this country sickens me. 500k for a ****ing converted bungalow in Peacehaven, it's all wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Look at [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] ,he is a good example, he is loyal to Europe and loyal to Corbyn. Corbyn wants an end to TTIP but [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] supports the EU and TTIP as his loyalty is to The EU more, he trusts them to make trade deals on his behalf. He is prepared to say his leader Corbyn is wrong.

This is playground logic of the Brighton beat Liverpool so they must be the best team in Europe type. Just because I support Europe, or anything for that matter, it doesn't mean I blindly support everything it does. But on balance, I do.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is playground logic of the Brighton beat Liverpool so they must be the best team in Europe type. Just because I support Europe, or anything for that matter, it doesn't mean I blindly support everything it does. But on balance, I do.

yes i know chap
you support Europe and think Corbyn is wrong on TTIP........or was it Corbyn is right on TTIP and Europe is wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here