Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton - King of Cool; the most hipster city in the world.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Wait until they build the Grazeley 'garden village', 15,000 new homes:mad: Add that to the developments around Arborfield and Wokingham and it will be 'Greater Reading' before too long.

Yep, I try not to be a nimby but the amount of building is beyond reasonable, i think it’s the new crossrail train line linking Reading to cannery wharf that’s probably driving the increase demand. They’re really expensive and cheaply built, I know someone who has recently bought a new house and they say it is piss poor quality.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I also read some of the comments and laughed. Always the same from a few - too scruffy and dirty etc. Some areas around the city centre yes i agree, but you could say that about any city in the world. But there are a hell of a lot more bloody lovely areas to walk around than most cities - especially for its size - city centre and residential areas. Homelessness is a world wide issue, and in the UK a lot of homeless people travel here over other cities for a number of reasons.

As for hipster... Imo Brighton and Hove has just got a bit of a mix of everything, and everyone just gets on with it. That's certainly the impression people i know who have visited have all got too, as well as observing how relaxed and friendly it is for the most part. Yeah perhaps not on the weekend down West Street but again most cities in the world have similar areas.

Some people are so quick to write off an entire city as a shit hole - Brighton and Hove has SO much more to offer than many cities. Shame about the cost, though.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Brighton to me is an accepting place where people can be who they want to be. People take full advantage of this.

NSC - Not so much.

I wouldn't mind moving back to Brighton but that is a long way off. Always love a visit though, the hipsters don't bother me.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Brighton to me is an accepting place where people can be who they want to be. People take full advantage of this.

NSC - Not so much.

I wouldn't mind moving back to Brighton but that is a long way off. Always love a visit though, the hipsters don't bother me.

I am a very accepting person, but when I rarely venture into the city I have noticed that the ironic waxed hairy beard action has gone a little bit too far.

My theory is that they are enemy of foxes. Whilst hipsters in London are steadily decreasing, they appear to be increasing in the countryside.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am a very accepting person, but when I rarely venture into the city I have noticed that the ironic waxed hairy beard action has gone a little bit too far.

My theory is that they are enemy of foxes. Whilst hipsters in London are steadily decreasing, they appear to be increasing in the countryside.

What I find interesting is when movements reach their peak with commodification into the mainstream, which hipster now has. You only have to go to the Amex to see this. I regularly see bunches of 20 something geezers sporting full on Victorian seafarer beards and hipster outfits which were no doubt from Top Shop or the like. One had even added the “trad” tattoos as well.

Anyway, just finished my breakfast from the porridge cafe. Have a nice day.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Only Westminster has more homeless people than Brighton in the UK

Brighton will always have a homeless problem as it’s obviously the 2nd best place to be homeless in the Country so unfortunate, mentally ill and unlucky folk will always gravitate here. How many of Brighton’s homeless people are from Sussex? I’d guess it’s under 10%.

Therefore, Brighton & Hove council needs special ringfenced funding from all the other local authorities around the country to fund a special solution for a unique circumstance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the hipsters don't bother me.

They have to be one of the most benign groups ever. If anything their outlook and values are quite positive. I really struggle to understand why anyone can get worked up about them.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Edinburgh is a contender but I can’t think of anywhere else in Scotland, much like Wales most of Scotland is a dump

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...uide-bars-portland-vote-movehub-a8299806.html

“As the UK city tops a new 'hipster' index, The Independent puts Brighton's trendiness credentials to the test”

This is why Brighton gets a rep for being full of people who are "full of it", but effectively useless when it comes to anything practical. The fact Brighton elects Greens and that article is in the Independent are major markers for this. And then theres the anti-science element to it.

Given the alt lifestyle brigade I would like to see the vaccination rate and the number of measals cases in the area for starters.

You seem to be fond of hipsters, this would be embarrassing if it wasn't for your and their lack of self awareness which is a product of vanity and narcissism which both exabit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You seem to be fond of hipsters.

I’d consider myself hipster-neutral. I approve off, enjoy and consume some of their culture but this is all.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I've no idea what a hipster is, but one of the reasons I love Brighton is for its variety of people and lifestyles, that also produces a demand for lots of independent and quirky places and shops, hipster or not it's what makes Brighton a great place for me.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Blimey mate if you can quote Shania Twain songs I would consider it an insult to the city if you still felt at home there...try Dagenham.

Ha-ha; I was waiting for a comment along those lines and sure enough!
No offence taken, I am 70 in July and am cool enough not to care what people say or think now.
As I said, used to love it when I was young,but not now. My sister lives in Brighton and loves it and my wife spends in the shops now and again Good luck to them, each to their own.
I do draw the line at Dagenham though! We live in West Sussex and love it; if I had to move, it would probably be Dorset for me!:)

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
is "flat black" a thing, and how in buggery is that going to different to an americano we've been drinking for decades.

I didn't think so, and I've always asked for a long black, but I saw* this advert the other day:

49EAA71600000578-0-image-a-16_1520335752512.jpg

*I'm too much of a coffee snob to drink in Costa, saw the advert at a train station.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here