Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lidl. Good publicity or epic fail

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I dont know of any as all of my female relatives of varying ages including the 20 year olds drink Sauvignion. The older ones like my wife drink Rose.

Seems very popular with my good lady, her mum and sister in law.
I get emails from Prezzo restaurant and many include an offer for Prosseco, no other wine is mentioned. It just seems to be the most popular wine at the moment, not my thing though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Seems very popular with my good lady, her mum and sister in law.
I get emails from Prezzo restaurant and many include an offer for Prosseco, no other wine is mentioned. It just seems to be the most popular wine at the moment, not my thing though.

Just ask yourself why Prezzo include it in a meal deal. Cost Price? I am like you not a great lover of it. It does have a very snob /must have name about it. Like all wines the price varies considerably for it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just ask yourself why Prezzo include it in a meal deal. Cost Price? I am like you not a great lover of it. It does have a very snob /must have name about it. Like all wines the price varies considerably for it.

Must have name, yes you are correct, a couple of years ago it was something else ( that I can't spell)

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
In the 60s the rubbish wine was called Blue Nun now it is called Prossecco so good advertising has made it such that people 'need' to be seen drinking it. It just shows what good marketing does for poor products.

Granted Blue Nun was yuk. But there are different types of Prosseco which is a generic name for sparkling wine made from the prosecco or glera grape, which is native to the Veneto region of Italy. There a some good Prosecco's and not so good Prosseco's like there are some good Champagne's and not so good Champagne's. So to label all procsecco's a poor product shows a distinct lack of knowledge regarding the wine!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Every customer that goes to Lidl for a promotion at the very least sees their own brand products; some will take the specials leaflet that doesn't just have the middle aisle randoms on it but offers on normal food. That's how they slowly get customers from outside their traditional markets.

The Irish arm has moved in to being a general format supermarket - they sell substantial amounts of major brands, do newspapers and sandwiches and so on, and are now the 4th biggest retailer by volume from it; but they could only get the general market through the door with the offers at the start. People are reluctant to change supermarket and extremely reluctant when its a new name. Look at the trouble Morrissons had outside of the north.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The 14 year olds who used to drink Lambrini in the park are now older, aspirational and want a more alcoholic chav drink? Can't afford 'Champers' but think they can be like Coleen Rooney (classy in their world and in my day would have said Jordan) by drinking it?

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Just like chilling Coke makes it drinkable, adding fizz turns a very average wine into something more appealing.

Having said that, a good Prosecco is excellent and is miles apart from Blue Nun or Liebfraumilch.

There's no way these people will be buying it to lay down for Christmas, chances are it will have been drunk by the end of the month.

As an aside, each year around October or November Lidl get in a telescope with very good optics, which they sell for a fraction of the price, brought over from Germany.
We bought one a couple of years back, and there were no queues at all on the release date.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ha.
Just the four months of taking up storage space to save, what? A fiver and change?
It shortens the Christmas " to do " list by one essential item 4 months early.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Every customer that goes to Lidl for a promotion at the very least sees their own brand products; some will take the specials leaflet that doesn't just have the middle aisle randoms on it but offers on normal food. That's how they slowly get customers from outside their traditional markets.

The Irish arm has moved in to being a general format supermarket - they sell substantial amounts of major brands, do newspapers and sandwiches and so on, and are now the 4th biggest retailer by volume from it; but they could only get the general market through the door with the offers at the start. People are reluctant to change supermarket and extremely reluctant when its a new name. Look at the trouble Morrissons had outside of the north.

Lidls won retailer of the year in 2016. Germans don't sell rubbish.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As an aside, each year around October or November Lidl get in a telescope with very good optics, which they sell for a fraction of the price, brought over from Germany. We bought one a couple of years back

They saw you coming.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Prosseco aside, Lidl's nuts and seeds are always good value compared to, say Sainsburys, where they get away from charging extortionate prices, just because they are in the world food aisle.

Top tip for nuts, go to the bakery aisle. Cheap as .

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
They shouldn't be in pubs either. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with a pint of mild and a packet of Big D peanuts.

Ahhh, Big D peanuts...
I remember being about 10 years old being allowed to sit in the corner of the Pierpoint public bar in Hurstpierpoint.
The nuts came on a card backing with a picture of a topless lady that was slowly uncovered as the packets were taken.
I admit that depending on how uncovered the pictures were swayed my choice of salted, dry roasted or nuts and raisins!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Who the actual **** wants six bottles of prosecco cluttering up their kitchen?!

Makes for excellent Sangria. Perfect on a day like today.

Millions of people, along with Cava it is an extremely popular sparkling wine.

Quite. BG, not for the first time, doesn't know what he's on about.

That said - as a wine-seller told us on the Roar a few years ago, any £3.33 bottle of Prosecco is going to be - in quality and cost - a £3.33 bottle of Prosecco. There are some excellent ones further up the price scale, mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here