Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Flags

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No. But once upon a time I was. I was even a member of the working group that re-designed the County Council's logo in the early 1990s (the one that is misrepresented on the Sussex Flags website, btw), so I am very familiar with the history of how East Sussex, West Sussex and Sussex have been represented over the years.

Oh well I did ask.

I still don't get your point in post #11 about East Sussex Albion fans getting taken in by the Sussex flag.
I have had a blue Sussex flag for a while now and also a sticker of the flag on my van, and have you noticed the number of Blue Sussex flags in the South West corner at the AMEX? How do you know where they live?

I think it's a good thing to have a Sussex flag, we do sing ' Good old SUSSEX by the sea" not good old East/West Sussex by the sea.
I've seen these flags also at Sussex County Cricket Club matches, the cricket club is called SUSSEX CCC, not East or West Sussex CCC.

I went to Devon for a holiday about five years back and lots of tourist information centres were selling Devon flags, car stickers etc, they seem very proud of their flag and county down that way.
When I came home I was in Lewes the following week, I called into the tourist information centre to see if they sold a Sussex car sticker, flag or even a pin badge, I came away empty handed.

I grew up in Brighton and when I was a kid if anyone asked where I was from i always replied Brighton Sussex, not East Susex.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Yes. I know all this. It's all part of the Chichester-based plot to foist their version of the Sussex myth on the rest of us ... the so-called "Sussex Day" is part of the same thing. And don't get me started on St Richard. Much of Sussex historically owes its ecclesiastical allegiance to Canterbury, not Chichester. And there has been no Sussex-wide administrative unit since the eighth century. Let's keep it that way and not have East Sussex subsumed into some meaningless fantasy that denies our eastern heritage. Lewes is our County Town.

No. But once upon a time I was. I was even a member of the working group that re-designed the County Council's logo in the early 1990s (the one that is misrepresented on the Sussex Flags website, btw), so I am very familiar with the history of how East Sussex, West Sussex and Sussex have been represented over the years.

This is the biggest load of :moo::shit: I've read in a long time regarding our county, Sussex. I can reassure you that I'm not part of any "Chichester-based plot"! Six Gold martlets on a Blue field have represented Sussex since at least 1611, when it appeared in John Speed’s atlas, The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, to represent the Kingdom of the South Saxons (Sussex)...
john-speed-title.png

FACT! No Chichester based theory here... Speed was from Cheshire!

You are quite right in the fact that Sussex hasn't been administered as a single entity since Saxon times, by 1086 Sussex was split into 5 'rapes' and by 1275 there was a sixth. By 1585 the 3 rapes in the West had formed the western division, and the 3 other rapes in the East had formed the eastern division (which later went on to form the areas administered by East and West Sussex County Councils in 1888). Yet despite the fact Sussex was administered East and West, the County was still shown as a single geographical entity, as demonstrated by this map of Sussex from 1611...
sussex_speed.jpg

An administration does not make a county!

Your point about Lewes being the county town is again disproved by this map, "Chichefter the chiefe citie thereof", ie. the County Town!

"Much of Sussex owes its ecclesiastical allegiance to Canterbury" is very over the top. In medieval times, a fairly small portion was under direct control of the Archbishop of Canterbury, shown on this map here in light pink...
sussex-canterbury.jpg

But then again, a diocese doesn't make a county! One of the Exempt Deaneries in this light pink area, is South Malling. Now if you look up South Malling (or Malling) in the Domesday Book of 1086, you will find it under "Sudsexe", yes Sussex, a County!!
01_half.png

Hence, why there was a Sussex County Cricket Club, set up in 1839! There was no Chichester based conspiracy theory here either!

The modern "East Sussex" is an area invented in 1972, it doesn't even match the original Eastern division of 1585! Sussex has had a shared identity since the formation of the Kingdom of the South Saxon in the 5th Century. The whole of Sussex shares the same symbol of six gold martlets on blue, as highlighted here on the badge of the Ewhurst & Staplecross Bonfire Society, in the far east
ewhurst-bonfire.png

Why do you think the border of the Coat of Arms of the former Brighton County Borough Council (used for many years by BHA in conjunction with Hove Arms) features six gold martlets on blue?!?
brighton-council.png

Because it was all one big Chichester hijacking when the arms were granted in 1897?... Or is simply because Brighton lies within the historic county of Sussex?

Sussex.gif

Attachments

• Sussex.gif
    Sussex.gif
    264.8 KB · Views: 328

None of that recognises the distinctive character of East Sussex, which is obvious to anyone who knows both East Sussex and West Sussex. The distinctiveness of both is worth preserving.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
None of that recognises the distinctive character of East Sussex, which is obvious to anyone who knows both East Sussex and West Sussex. The distinctiveness of both is worth preserving.

Sussex as a whole has much more of a unified culture, history and identity, than trying to pit East vs West. East Sussex was only set up in 1585 as an administrative division, not a cultural one! We all share the same Saxon history! And when you come to identity, Lewes and the east had the same way of representing their county as the rest of Sussex, this is painted on the wall on the staircase in Lewes Town Hall...
lewes-town-hall.png

And even East Sussex County Council used the 6 six gold martlets on blue to represent Sussex on their unofficial seal before 1937...
east-sussex-council-1889-1937.png

There's a large stained glass window version in Lewes Crown Court, as the Crown Court was the former HQ of East Sussex Council.

East Sussex County Council were granted an official coat of arms in 1937, the only reason they chose a red field was to distinguish it from the Coat of Arms of West Sussex County Council which had already been granted in 1889, Six Gold Martlets on a blue field, with a gold chief (bar).

The whole of Sussex is symbolised by Six Gold martlets on Blue, there's no getting away from that! Why do you think Sussex County Cricket Club have played under this emblem for years, and years? That's real heritage!
county-cricket-club.png

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Next time I see my friend who works there, I'll ask if she can source any red and gold items.

She wouldn't be able to sell them anyway without the expressed permission of the County Council as they are the owners of the Coat of Arms, and the arms only represent the administration.

Whereas she could sell Sussex Flags to her hearts content as it is free from copyright and represents the people of Sussex.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Everyone knows that East Sussex was in on it when the Normans invaded. Can't trust em. West is best!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm with [MENTION=29098]Sussaxon[/MENTION] in any geographical debate on this splendid county. Especially as he plays stoolball. Which shamefully does not appear in predictive text. There's another campaign.

I proudly use the flag as my Twitter photograph.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here