Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Boxing

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
We had a 'heated debate' with a cabbie in Vegas who told us Boxing was finished and UFC was the future, sorry I don't buy that UFC is just an extension of a fight in a pub car park, with a few more tattoos and possibly steroids.

British boxing is about to potentially throw up some intruiging contests.

Win or lose in Germany Fury will eventually fight Joshua and get knocked out.

Eubank Jnr clearly has designs on either moving up to,Super Middleweight and taking on Degale or staying at middleweight at taking on Golovkin, whichever he decides both these contests are potential Stadium fights at the Amex.

One stadium fight looking more likely given that Khan was with Eddie Hearn at ringside last night is Brook vs Khan

Would be great to have a major bill of boxing at the Amex

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
I see Eddie Hearn has outdone himself and put the Dec 12th O2 bill on Sky Box Office.

Shocking decision for what is essentially a domestic card. It's irrelevant how much Smith, Nelson and the like sex up the rivalry and hype in the build-up, it's not PPV worthy, and Sky have you right where that want you if you think anything different. Joshua beats Whyte easily and although Eubank Jnr vs Spike is intriguing, the undercard of your Campbell's, Bellew's and Warrington's against majorly inferior opposition doesn't cut it for me.

Quigg vs Frampton... yep fair enough, Klitschko vs Fury... inevitable. But this stinks worse than Cleverly vs Bellew, and I've only just got rid of the stench of that. Any decent streams on the night then let us know.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I see Eddie Hearn has outdone himself and put the Dec 12th O2 bill on Sky Box Office.

Shocking decision for what is essentially a domestic card. It's irrelevant how much Smith, Nelson and the like sex up the rivalry and hype in the build-up, it's not PPV worthy, and Sky have you right where that want you if you think anything different. Joshua beats Whyte easily and although Eubank Jnr vs Spike is intriguing, the undercard of your Campbell's, Bellew's and Warrington's against majorly inferior opposition doesn't cut it for me.

Quigg vs Frampton... yep fair enough, Klitschko vs Fury... inevitable. But this stinks worse than Cleverly vs Bellew, and I've only just got rid of the stench of that. Any decent streams on the night then let us know.

Give the money you might have given to Fast Car to a local boozer? I think the Palmeira will probably show it. Atmosphere should be fun what with the Brighton GGG involved.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Hearn is taking the pee big time now, I hope it bombs and nobody buys it

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hearn & Matchroom have been taking the piss for 2 years now. Sub-standard uncompetitive fights dominate Sky broadcasts and anything resembling a half decent scrap is put on PPV.

I called Sky to complain after the Cleverly vs Bellew match and again after Brook vs Gavin got a pretty decent reduction in the cost for 10 months so it pays to make your feelings clear.

The card on the 12th is a piss take for PPV in my view and hopefully it will bomb big time.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Why not if 20,000 sold it out in 6 hours?

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Why not if 20,000 sold it out in 6 hours?

I get what you're saying to a degree, because the average man gets swept up in the Sky and Matchroom PR machine and will happily part with the cash, making it a worthwhile venture for Eddie and his bank balance. The connoisseur knows though pal, you can't tell me you'd be happy paying the best part of £20 for this surely?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Boxing seems to be a sport in decline. The days when Muhammad Ali was the most recognised face on the planet is over.

The general public wouldn't know who the best British fighters are today, and not that interested that a British fighter is fighting soon to win the used to be the biggest prize in sport.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Boxing was really something special from the early days with Jack Johnson, to Sugar Ray Robinson, Sonny Liston, Frazier, Ali and even the 80’s was special with Tyson on the scene. The 90’s was a great decade for British boxing with Benn Eubank and Naseem Hamed. As mentioned above these were household names.

Boxing has a rich tapestry of history for over 100 years and the last 5-10 years has been very poor (excluding a few exceptional boxers like Mayweather etc) I was a massive boxing fan but now barely watch a fight. There are two big reasons as to why I think it has died.

1) Lack of boxing on terrestrial tv. Even the shittiest fights like Audrey Harrison and Haye are now £15 fights. Back in the day my family would gather around the tv and watch Tyson, eubank, benn on BBC 1 or ITV.
2) The number of dam belts per division. Over half the division could end up being a world champion. There should only ever be one body and one world champion at that weight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A brilliant performance from JW, negating dangerous punches from the world champion, whilst making his own work count with such precision and brutality.

Top bounce :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here