Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] France v Argentina

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Where did I say I dislike him? I just find the fawning over certain players when they haven't done anything of note tiresome. Messi hasn't turned up, once again, for the Argies ... and according to Murphy it's because of the players around him. No personal responsibility.

Perhaps like Kane, Salah and some others, he’s in an iffy international team?

Before a ball of this WC was kicked, Phil Vickery and other South American football experts, all said this was an awful Argentina team with a shocking defence.

They were right.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Perhaps like Kane, Salah and some others, he’s in an iffy international team?

Before a ball of this WC was kicked, Phil Vickery and other South American football experts, all said this was an awful Argentina team with a shocking defence.

They were right.

Harry Kane has 5 goals in 2 games and is up there with the players of the tournament so far. Salah didn't seem 100% after his injury (although you can hardly compare Egypt to Argentina).

Argentina clearly don't have the best of squads, but they've still got quite a few decent attacking players for Messi to link up with. It's not like we're talking about Panama. Murphy said Messi's performances were because of the lack of quality around him. Messi obviously has better players around him at Barca, but that shouldn't stop him from performing well himself. His team might lose, but you'd still expect him to personally perform well. He's meant to be one of the two best players in the world - one of the greatest of all time. But once again, he hasn't stepped up for Argentina.

I mean, I'm not really sure what you're arguing. Do you think Messi has performed well enough for Argentina this World Cup?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Harry Kane has 5 goals in 2 games and is up there with the players of the tournament so far. Salah didn't seem 100% after his injury (although you can hardly compare Egypt to Argentina).

Argentina clearly don't have the best of squads, but they've still got quite a few decent attacking players for Messi to link up with. It's not like we're talking about Panama. Murphy said Messi's performances were because of the lack of quality around him. Messi obviously has better players around him at Barca, but that shouldn't stop him from performing well himself. His team might lose, but you'd still expect him to personally perform well. He's meant to be one of the two best players in the world - one of the greatest of all time. But once again, he hasn't stepped up for Argentina.

I mean, I'm not really sure what you're arguing. Do you think Messi has performed well enough for Argentina this World Cup?

Messi is a failure at this level, end of. :down:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

One of those attacking options is Aguero who's been left on the bench for the last two games!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would go four at the back against France and close the gap between midfield and defence

We’d need numbers with pace in defence and CM to stop the predictable tactic of Mbappe, Pogba and Griezman running from deep at pace.

Argentina were so naive at this from the start, leaving too few numbers back and prairies worth of space as you indicate.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
We’d need numbers with pace in defence and CM to stop the predictable tactic of Mbappe, Pogba and Griezman running from deep at pace.

Argentina were so naive at this from the start, leaving too few numbers back and prairies worth of space as you indicate.

That will only become a problem if we get to the final.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bye bye Argentina, and good riddance!

Messi aside, a horrible horrible team on every single level.

Mercado, Mascherano and Otamendi in particular are really nasty pieces of work.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This. Yes France looked good but they shipped 3 goals against a poor team today.

Which included two Messi assists and a wonderstrike.

If France hadn't been so brilliant going forward then those writing Messi off might not be doing so so vehemently. Argentina's defence was unbelievably poor, but they scored three goals, two of which he was instrumental in.

He is not as involved as he should be as often as he should be because the Argentinian defence and midfield are too conservative and just pass sideways - they won't give the ball to him often enough.

I bet he wishes he had declared himself Spanish when he had the chance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which included two Messi assists and a wonderstrike.

If France hadn't been so brilliant going forward then those writing Messi off might not be doing so so vehemently. Argentina's defence was unbelievably poor, but they scored three goals, two of which he was instrumental in.

He is not as involved as he should be as often as he should be because the Argentinian defence and midfield are too conservative and just pass sideways - they won't give the ball to him often enough.

I bet he wishes he had declared himself Spanish when he had the chance.

Quality post.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cracking game, pity I had to work so only had the radio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here