Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I dug out the actual document. Looking at it again I think it's pretty factual and not really the 'Project Fear' stereotype. I guess the challenge would be for Leavers In particular to identify the falsehoods. I'm not sure if there's anything there that could rival the slogan on the Leave campaign's bus for being dubious. However, it's quite interesting to revisit this stuff now whichever of the two trenches you occupy.

Indeed.
Someone in the Leave campaign clearly decided that the NHS was the sensitive soundbite that might tick a few more boxes but in all seriousness anyone believing that £350m was going directly to the NHS needed their head examining. Cameron and Osborne dug their own graves by overplaying the fears we were facing economic meltdown if we left the EU.
Both campaigns were fought poorly. Remain were complacent beyond belief and failed to deliver the message of what exactly would have to change and Leave centred too much around overblown, ego-fuelled politicians promising a sunlit upland. It was Remain's election to lose and they made a complete balls of it.
The majority of sensible people in this country ignored all the posturing, lying and exagerration and just quietly made up their own minds

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I dug out the actual document. Looking at it again I think it's pretty factual and not really the 'Project Fear' stereotype. I guess the challenge would be for Leavers In particular to identify the falsehoods. I'm not sure if there's anything there that could rival the slogan on the Leave campaign's bus for being dubious. However, it's quite interesting to revisit this stuff now whichever of the two trenches you occupy.

Indeed.
Someone in the Leave campaign clearly decided that the NHS was the sensitive soundbite that might tick a few more boxes but in all seriousness anyone believing that £350m was going directly to the NHS needed their head examining. Cameron and Osborne dug their own graves by overplaying the fears we were facing economic meltdown if we left the EU.
Both campaigns were fought poorly. Remain were complacent beyond belief and failed to deliver the message of what exactly would have to change and Leave centred too much around overblown, ego-fuelled politicians promising a sunlit upland. It was Remain's election to lose and they made a complete balls of it.
The majority of sensible people in this country ignored all the posturing, lying and exagerration and just quietly made up their own minds

I think one of the main problems that Cameron and Osborne had was that they had been using the EU as a handy scapegoat for years. When faced with public anger over the impact of one of their policies they could go the ‘blame Bwussels’ route.
When the Referendum debate started to expose genuine anger in parts of the country that had suffered years of neglect they could hardly turn around and say ‘actually it was our fault all along; it was only EU legislation that stopped us from re-introducing feudalism into rural Lincolnshire’.
On the other hand Labour were not as constrained and in particular a Labour leadership which was not associated with Brown and Blair. This is why, in my view, Corbyn’s lack of engagement with Remain was so significant.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Point of fact by very definition, Baby Boomers would not have been old enough to fight in the war.
I personally have no problem with BB's at all. The world changed and they reaped rewards. It's not like they sat on their backsides it's that most of them made a good fist of the new opportunities.

We will never see a generation like it again nor will we ever see those opportunities again. However, my generation will benefit from their opportunities through inheritance. If you're clever you can look after that reduce tax you pay on it. So to dismiss BB's as ruining the country I do not agree with. Yes, many voted leave but that's the lies the Leave campaign told and they are certainly no more to blame than your average thicko leave voter.

It needn't have come to this though. Those that wanted to return to England in the 1950's where men were men and women were hairier, where shops closed on Wednesday afternoons, where the Missus had to get the husbands signature to buy a washing machine, where we ate canned food and spam, where the only noise at the breakfast table was the odd "tut" from behind Father's copy of the times, those that wanted this life could have just ****ed off to Australia and left the rest of us to our decent lives.

Not sure where you get the comments in your last paragraph from, because I don't recognise it. Clearly you had a much more privileged up bringing to me.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It would at least enact the promise of the Act of 1920 to re-unite Ireland though.

What promise was there in The Government of Ireland Act of 1920 in regards to Irish unification? It was made irrelevant after the 1922 Anglo-Irish Treaty and any existing legacies were all swept into the Good Friday Agreement 20 years ago.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I particularly like the one he's chosen as his avatar, depicting the flag of the very Union that he is very likely to destroy, together with a pair of the smart new French passports.

Unlike some on here,I swore to defend that Union,not the European one!I do think you need a visit to the optician rather quickly.Hope you are not driving with such poor eyesight.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I suspect it was the former Waffen SS he drinks with that gave him the inside track on German Orchestral capabilities.

If that had been the case,I might have referred to the various concentration camp orchestras the germans organised,such as the one one at Auschwitz/Birkenau.How amusing do you find that?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If that had been the case,I might have referred to the various concentration camp orchestras the germans organised,such as the one one at Auschwitz/Birkenau.How amusing do you find that?

I particularly enjoy the Heinrich Manouvres.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The post you were replying to didn't even mention the south east! It did however refer to those poorer parts of the country that had a high Leave vote, very often (and uncontroversally) known as the Brexit Heartlands. Your effort to imply that Sussex is a Brexit Heartland isn't remotely offensive. Daft maybe, and perhaps typical, but certainly not offensive.

Sussex is a Brexit Heartland,apart from Lewes and Brighton.Perhaps you might check your facts before pontificating.As a general point to people on the board,I should check your anti-virus is up to date.Someone from foreign parts appears to have attracted madnet.ru.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sussex is a Brexit Heartland,apart from Lewes and Brighton.Perhaps you might check your facts before pontificating.As a general point to people on the board,I should check your anti-virus is up to date.Someone from foreign parts appears to have attracted madnet.ru.

Mid Sussex & Horsham voted remain too.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I am afraid you are having an argument in an empty room. Everyone else knows what a Brexit Heartland is.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I am afraid you are having an argument in an empty room. Everyone else knows what a Brexit Heartland is.

Well you have certainly lost your place in World's cleverest.

dopeytwats.png

No need to apologise.(I know you will not anyway,you haven't got it in you)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here