Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I finished the mouth to mouth marathon today, 28 miles in 4:50. I was fairly happy with the time as my first marathon and had some cramping in my thigh which resulted in 13 min miles at mile 25 and 26. It was a cracking event, a beautiful course and excellent weather with blue skies. I have to thank Dazzer66666 for his advice on walking the hills, I found that a large portion of people were walking them and when I saw people running them the advantage they were gaining was negligible on the steepest bits. I think I would have ended up in a bad way had I tried to run them like I was doing during training!

Now I need to think about my next event.....

Great time nice one!.. The wind was a bit wicked on the river bank between Arundel and the finish wasnt it!..

Your next long one could be the Three forts in April or if your feeling brave the Steyning Stinger..proper grim that one!..

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Great time nice one!.. The wind was a bit wicked on the river bank between Arundel and the finish wasnt it!..

Your next long one could be the Three forts in April or if your feeling brave the Steyning Stinger..proper grim that one!..

Thanks! Yes, that wind was bitterly cold, and the river bank a bit treacherous in places with the holes and mud! I saw someone running with Brighton shorts on, was that you?

I will have to check those races out, think I need a few weeks to erase from my mind how hard that felt towards the end before committing to something even tougher!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Anybody running the Hog's Back race tomorrow? I'll be there photographing so give me a smile as you go past.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Thanks! Yes, that wind was bitterly cold, and the river bank a bit treacherous in places with the holes and mud! I saw someone running with Brighton shorts on, was that you?

I will have to check those races out, think I need a few weeks to erase from my mind how hard that felt towards the end before committing to something even tougher!

Haha no it wasnt me.

Yeah i say this out of earshot if the wife..but to me its a bit like childbirth...the pain and whatever in those last 6 miles goes and youll be booking another in a weeks time!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I finished the mouth to mouth marathon today, 28 miles in 4:50. I was fairly happy with the time as my first marathon and had some cramping in my thigh which resulted in 13 min miles at mile 25 and 26. It was a cracking event, a beautiful course and excellent weather with blue skies. I have to thank Dazzer66666 for his advice on walking the hills, I found that a large portion of people were walking them and when I saw people running them the advantage they were gaining was negligible on the steepest bits. I think I would have ended up in a bad way had I tried to run them like I was doing during training!

Now I need to think about my next event.....

Excellent stuff, great running. Gutted to have missed it as I did the other three races in the series, so the full set of medals is incomplete :-(

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Excellent stuff, great running. Gutted to have missed it as I did the other three races in the series, so the full set of medals is incomplete :-(

Thanks! Thats a shame, I noticed a couple of people posing with all 4 medals at the end and it looked they all fit together which is a nice touch!

Whats your opinion on the other events that they organise, are they good ones to do and which ones have you enjoyed the most?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks! Thats a shame, I noticed a couple of people posing with all 4 medals at the end and it looked they all fit together which is a nice touch!

Whats your opinion on the other events that they organise, are they good ones to do and which ones have you enjoyed the most?

Yes, had several pals there yesterday (including the winner LOL - my training buddy finished about the same time as you so you probably chatted at some point!). They're not changing the medals next year so will have to do it then to complete the set.

I love their events - very 'old school' trail running at it's best. Very friendly and relaxed (as you hopefully found yesterday). The river events are one the face of it similar but all have their quirks.

Dark Star - in January, so very weather dependent. Very hard slog if it's wet, easier if dry and frosty.

Arun River Run - May. Love this one - basically out and back on the Littlehampton half of the course you did yesterday (through Arundel, up to Springhead Hill car park and back)

Luna-tic (July) - my favourite (despite being where my current injury issues came from !). Three laps up and down the Adur, but starting at 8pm so half in the dark.

Downslink ultra (October) - great intro to trying a longer distance. Very flat and easy to follow the route.

Jay, Chris and Danny are a great bunch and all very experienced runners so know what they're doing and they've got a good band of regular volunteers that help out (who mostly 'resting' runners as well).

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
All this talk of distance running makes me slightly embarrassed to mention the mere 11.something k of the Hogs Back Road Race.

Starts at Loseley, run down into the outskirts of Guildford, up to the Hogs Back, along the top a bit, and then back down to Loseley.

The course probably suited me as all the up was at the beginning, and I could stretch my legs whilst taking it relatively easy on the downhill sections. I even managed a sprint finish.

Very cold, but a really nice scenic course. Finished 41st in 46:51.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Anybody running the Hog's Back race tomorrow? I'll be there photographing so give me a smile as you go past.

That'll have been me then! Hope your fingers didn't get too cold - I lost all sensation in mine for the first few k.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
That'll have been me then! Hope your fingers didn't get too cold - I lost all sensation in mine for the first few k.

Just got home now. I think I have frostbite. I love photography but sitting in the shade in one place in sub zero temperatures for 90 minutes is no picnic.

How was your run?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
15 miler on a cold but crisp morning and finished with a sausage sandwich and a coffee. Love Sundays.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Just got home now. I think I have frostbite. I love photography but sitting in the shade in one place in sub zero temperatures for 90 minutes is no picnic.

How was your run?

I really enjoyed it once my fingers had thawed out!

As the race has an odd distance, and I'd run a fast 10k last weekend (and not run since), I was very much taking this as a pleasure run rather have having any goals. So in an odd way I found it rather relaxing.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I really enjoyed it once my fingers had thawed out!

As the race has an odd distance, and I'd run a fast 10k last weekend (and not run since), I was very much taking this as a pleasure run rather have having any goals. So in an odd way I found it rather relaxing.

I wish I could amble along at you pleasure pace. Great running. Again.

Ran the Mince pie 10 today. Perfect conditions nice and crisp only a bit windy up on the downs. Great course except going through Saltdean with its double header steep hills. Lovely to be up on the downs though, really clear and could see for miles. 1:10 something for me. Lots of santas and mince pies have got me in the mood. I'm off to buy a Christmas tree.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
AITC Santa Dash in twenty minutes!

e7668cc033eae6fc7d1aaeadb9c94c5c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Gotta love Mince Pie 10. Such a great course - loads of support and marshals and a while lot of fun - 1.25 Garmin time. Ran in (sort of) Albion colours [emoji38]

b0fb84008ecbdb844bd8e8de4231fa67.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Cheers [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] - though I do think your 10 miler sounds like more of a challenge. Your time is pretty decent on the flat, let alone going up and down the Downs round Saltdean!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Enjoyed Mince Pie, finished in 1:13 ish so a couple of mins quicker than last year, so pleased with that.
It's a pretty hard 10 miles even in good weather, lots of variation in gradient and underfoot- a proper work out.

Good to see [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION], [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Cheers [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] - though I do think your 10 miler sounds like more of a challenge. Your time is pretty decent on the flat, let alone going up and down the Downs round Saltdean!

Thanks, I'm actually running quicker than I ever have before but since you've got over your hamstring niggles you seem to have gone onto another level. It's great to see. Seems like we're both finishing the year strongly.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good running from the NSC runners club.

Results are here

http://www.seafordstriders.org.uk/Newsite/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/rptResult.pdf

I think [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] pipped me by one second for this years Mince Pie crown.

I thought he was mine coming to the line but a late burst saw him keep just ahead.

I recognise the name but not the face so I wasn't aware it was you, otherwise I would have said well done.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here