Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I wondered what people do in terms of fuelling during longer runs? I have signed up to do half of the the south coast challenge (54k) is along the south downs way and costal path. Having never attempted anything like this distance before I am in to new territory with regards to keeping fuelled and hydrated during the longer runs.

Do people mainly use gels or is it necessary to have some more solid food with the longer (ultra) distances and if so what do you eat?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I wondered what people do in terms of fuelling during longer runs? I have signed up to do half of the the south coast challenge (54k) is along the south downs way and costal path. Having never attempted anything like this distance before I am in to new territory with regards to keeping fuelled and hydrated during the longer runs.

Do people mainly use gels or is it necessary to have some more solid food with the longer (ultra) distances and if so what do you eat?

You've come to the right place, we've got at least 3 experienced ultra runners on this thread, so I'm sure they will be able to give you the benefit of their expertise.

Park Run at Hove Park for me today. First time there since September and nice to run a different course to the Prom. Felt pretty good today clocking 19:22.

I'll be going all out next week for sub 19 at the prom if conditions aren't too bad. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] is considering the unthinkable and doing the dirty on his beloved hove Park by joining the Prom runners for the Bank Holiday Weekend.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No Parkrun for me after a 60th Birthday Party. Got home at 3:30 with a scaffold board under my arm apparently. One more day off running.........

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Not the 28th but if anyone fancies a cross country 10k then I am doing the Lindfield 10k on Monday 30th. Not a course for a PB as lots of styles and sometimes cows in fields but I loved it last year. They also do a 5k on the same day. Its really well organised and I think about 600 people did a mix of the 5k and 10k last year.

http://www.kingedwardhall.org.uk/village-run/

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good question.....potentially loads of different answers/views. There are more experienced/better loonies than me on here but I can relate some of what I've learned (including from my expert coach)

Rule 1 - no rules! We're all different, so what works for one runner may not work for another.

Generally, as you increase distance, you reduce intensity so should be burning a higher ratio of fat vs carbs than you would on a harder effort. The lower intensity should mean it's easier to take food on without getting sick too and don't need the instant energy gels provide.

Biggest thing is practice. Take food on your runs and try it out - most ultras have decent aid stations with a wide range of stuff so find out what works for you. Gels still have a place, particularly in the latter stages if you need a more instant energy boost (which the glucose will give you) but most runners I know gravitate more to 'real food' on the longer distances.

I tend to use things like peanut butter wraps (rolled up and cut into bite size chunks), nuts, flapjack chunks, dried fruit, chocolate raisins, bits of pizza, cheese (babybels are good).

Little and often is the key to avoid stomach issues, plenty of water obviously and for me I also take salt capsules regularly to maintain electrolyte balance.

Experimentation is the key though - it's what your training runs are for.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

What dazzer has said.. Yeah try out a varity of real foods in your training runs.. Eating on the move is a lot harder than it should be! So test out how your gonna store your food in your back pack.. Can you reach it easily?.. If your running against the prevailing wind you don't want to be stopping and finding your food.. Check out scaps for salt replacememnt theyre great but remember to take them before you feel you need them...oh and pepperami!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Good info Dazzer/ Pembury thanks. Its going to seem really strange eating whilst running. Do you eat more or less from the start or after a set time/ mileage? Also with the foods are you looking for protein rich foods or more carbs?

I need to find a good back pack as well where you can get access to food/ drink easily as you say Pembury. After a couple of weeks training I am up to 2 hours running whereas before my max session previously was an hour. Previously I was not even used to taking on water during runs and found I was struggling to get the bottle out of the back pack on the last long run, also the one I've got isn't designed for running and kept chafing against my neck! Lots more to think about now than just running!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On long slow runs try to keep your intake even - start early even if you don't feel like it. Real food won't metabolise as quickly as gels. I tend to aim for 500ml of water an hour - more if it's hot obviously.

As for packs, things like the Salomon S-lab sets are very popular - the softflasks on the front are easy to drink from on the move and collapse as they empty. I wouldn't get too stressed about accessing pockets - losing a few seconds here and there becomes less of an issue over many hours. Comfort is the most important factor.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You've come to the right place, we've got at least 3 experienced ultra runners on this thread, so I'm sure they will be able to give you the benefit of their expertise.

Park Run at Hove Park for me today. First time there since September and nice to run a different course to the Prom. Felt pretty good today clocking 19:22.

I'll be going all out next week for sub 19 at the prom if conditions aren't too bad. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] is considering the unthinkable and doing the dirty on his beloved hove Park by joining the Prom runners for the Bank Holiday Weekend.

Ha ha. I underestimated - it's 175 out of 175 park runs at Hove Park. I'm gonna look at what [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] mentioned about number of races there without going off with another...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ha ha. I underestimated - it's 175 out of 175 park runs at Hove Park. I'm gonna look at what [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] mentioned about number of races there without going off with another...

There must be a list of the mostest loyalist parkrunners with [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] near the top!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I wouldn't get too stressed about accessing pockets - losing a few seconds here and there becomes less of an issue over many hours. Comfort is the most important factor.

Yeah totally.. I'm very shoddy at packing my pack though and end up contorting my arms..trying to find something and end up stopping, taking my pack off not knowing where i bloody put it..puts me right off my stride! Oh and remember your sh*t kit! Invaluable :)

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Yeah totally.. I'm very shoddy at packing my pack though and end up contorting my arms..trying to find something and end up stopping, taking my pack off not knowing where i bloody put it..puts me right off my stride! Oh and remember your sh*t kit! Invaluable :)

Ha, ha, theres another thing I wouldn't have thought of!

This thread sums up whats great about NSC, it doesn't matter what your interest is there will be someone on the board able to offer an opinion or advice. It was also one of the reasons I signed up for the south coast challenge, reading everyone post about their running has been really motivational.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Lovely conditions this morning and I can sense the pace slowly returning.

9 miles @6:55 pace so I reckon c.10 seconds down on pre-marathon pace.

A bank holiday Park Run and a long one Sunday and I'm ready for Worthing.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm crocked. Some sort of foot problem. Been trying to ignore it for a week (the classic denial response!) but it's not great.
Trouble is that when you get to my age you tend to look at every injury as 'well, that's it then - finito'.
Bugger: 2016 was going too well!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm crocked. Some sort of foot problem. Been trying to ignore it for a week (the classic denial response!) but it's not great.
Trouble is that when you get to my age you tend to look at every injury as 'well, that's it then - finito'.
Bugger: 2016 was going too well!

You're repairable. Find out what it is and do what is necessary. Good luck.

Start with ice from frozen peas tonight. Can't hurt it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
22 milers yesterday and today on the Downs. I'm knackered. :yawn:
[MENTION=26481]downham seagull[/MENTION] - that is RAPID :clap2:

Your building up well for SDW. Kick up the butt for me. Strava shows your weekend mileage as 10 miles above my monthly total. Your average for last 4 weeks almost 60 miles! a week to my paltry 8. Another week off and I would be down near zero as the TFC slips off the screen.
But my neck scar has healed perfectly and I will be back out there this week. A heavy return to training will handicap me nicely for a 5k showdown with @ Guinness Boy on Saturday. It's your best chance of the summer GB so taper a little after Wednesday and see what you can give at the Prom. You'll smash sub 22.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There must be a list of the mostest loyalist parkrunners with [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] near the top!

Going by the finishers on Saturday only, there is a guy who has run 225/225 at Hove Park. One fella has done 360 parkruns – 357 of which have been at HP. I'm nowhere near, I'm afraid.

In other news, I went out on one of those 'bike' things yesterday. Quite enjoyed it...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1180428227

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here