Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
All makes sense - although interesting I am being coached for SDW50 & 100 this year (have Brighton marathon in as a day out/recovery run the week after the 50, remains to be seen whether I'll be there) and have regular parkruns in the schedule and lots of interval stuff. Next week I'll probably be doing parkrun the day before the Stinger marathon - coach says blasting 3 miles has no lasting impact at all.

My age has finally led to a decrease in recovery time between hard sessions. I emphasise on the Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday sessions. The weekly accumulation pays it's toll but I just recover in time for the next week. That is the personal reason.

From a training perspective It is about not exceeding lactic threshold pace by more than 30 seconds for the last 9 weeks of the programme. It is The Hanson Method and last year I still managed a sub 7 minute pace for the last mile of the marathon.

As for you a 3 mile run would be a walk in the park. A marathon as a recovery run!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My age has finally led to a decrease in recovery time between hard sessions. I emphasise on the Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday sessions. The weekly accumulation pays it's toll but I just recover in time for the next week. That is the personal reason.

From a training perspective It is about not exceeding lactic threshold pace by more than 30 seconds for the last 9 weeks of the programme. It is The Hanson Method and last year I still managed a sub 7 minute pace for the last mile of the marathon.

As for you a 3 mile run would be a walk in the park. A marathon as a recovery run!

I don't know really, I am only 10 weeks or so back into running properly after missing most of last year with injuries so still early days in relation to the programme and the jury is still out, but I have been amazed so far at what specifically targeted sessions, well timed easy runs and proper rest days can do if scheduled correctly. I am averaging 50 miles a week already (more than I have ever done before), run an ultra, set a 5k PB and running 5/6 times on average but haven't yet felt fatigued at all really (I'm 48).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I don't know really, I am only 10 weeks or so back into running properly after missing most of last year with injuries so still early days in relation to the programme and the jury is still out, but I have been amazed so far at what specifically targeted sessions, well timed easy runs and proper rest days can do if scheduled correctly. I am averaging 50 miles a week already (more than I have ever done before), run an ultra, set a 5k PB and running 5/6 times on average but haven't yet felt fatigued at all really (I'm 48).

Averaging 45-50 miles a week too. Slower recovery kicked in 2 years ago at the young age of 53 but persevering. Will PB in third marathon this year if remain injury free and day isn't too windy. What amazes me most is that you manage to train through jet lag on a regular basis.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Good luck to all brighton half runners on sunday! Be good to know how you got on.

Hill reps between trulli hill and the adur for me sunday morning, Also a interval 7 miles if i can fit it in between daughter swimming lesson and the football tomorrow..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Averaging 45-50 miles a week too. Slower recovery kicked in 2 years ago at the young age of 53 but persevering. Will PB in third marathon this year if remain injury free and day isn't too windy. What amazes me most is that you manage to train through jet lag on a regular basis.

Well done.......I'm not aiming for any PBs this year, just want that 100 mile buckle. After that who knows., might try to focus on getting quicker (have never been quick anyway, marathon best is only 3.42) or do more longer stuff

The jetlag thing is interesting - I actually find a run as soon as I land (either end) helps shake the flight out and get me on 'normal time'. As long as I have had a few hours sleep it doesn't seem to make much difference, although I have felt sluggish on one or two runs. Will be interesting to how the Stinger marathon goes the day after coming back from Asia goes. I'm lucky that I get to fly in business class so it is a bit easier to rest properly

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck to all brighton half runners on sunday! Be good to know how you got on.

Hill reps between trulli hill and the adur for me sunday morning, Also a interval 7 miles if i can fit it in between daughter swimming lesson and the football tomorrow..

Hate that bloody hill !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah its not nice..but 'runable' with a couple of different gradients. As you prob know, the cows do tend to get in the way a bit in field just before/after the road though!

I usually walk most of the first bit from the road at Botolphs layby to the first gate at the top, but after that it's not so bad.......really like the downhill bit after the farm past the youth hostel though, great views too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am the equivalent of a fasting monk. The Dyke to Adur return was twice done inJanuary training and is a great run especially when the tap is working on the bridge and the YHA one. As Training becomes race specific I am now only venturing over the cliffs from Peter Pans and Rottingdean with the long, long, flat seafront up to it and home. The road ruins this run though and I prefer the Downs.

So out the window so far: long hill runs stopped Feb 1st, English Breakfasts stopped Feb 1, speed training stopped Feb 9th, alcohol stopped Feb 23, no races.

All this and still my younger brother gets off a plane every year from LA and beats me by 20 minutes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Booze is going completely from tomorrow with the exception of watching one of my mates White Collar Boxing cards in March. My Harveys today will be my last at a game till mid April. I've got a 45 minute flat run in my training plan for tomorrow which I would normally do along the seafront towards Hove (I start just the Portslade end of Boundary / Station Rd). Going to have to change that tomorrow due to half marathon route. Does anyone do any good, flat routes from near there that would be just over 4 miles? I was thinking of just along the coast road towards Shoreham, doubling back when I hit 22 minutes but in my mind's eye that's all road junctions and HGVs. Old Shoreham Road seems worse for that though and heading north would involve hills.

Good luck to anyone doing the Brighton half BTW especially my good mate [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Booze is going completely from tomorrow with the exception of watching one of my mates White Collar Boxing cards in March. My Harveys today will be my last at a game till mid April. I've got a 45 minute flat run in my training plan for tomorrow which I would normally do along the seafront towards Hove (I start just the Portslade end of Boundary / Station Rd). Going to have to change that tomorrow due to half marathon route. Does anyone do any good, flat routes from near there that would be just over 4 miles? I was thinking of just along the coast road towards Shoreham, doubling back when I hit 22 minutes but in my mind's eye that's all road junctions and HGVs. Old Shoreham Road seems worse for that though and heading north would involve hills.

Good luck to anyone doing the Brighton half BTW especially my good mate [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

I would stick to your backup plan of Shoreham the road junctions and HGV's aren't too bad you just have to put up with jumping up kerbs a bit and maybe the odd puddle.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

If you go early enough, you avoid all the half 'traffic' - I've done that in the past (crossed the finish line hours before anyone else)...

The route to Shoreham-by-Sea isn't too bad - run in the South side if the road and there's no reason to stop at the few junctions that are there.

That's a regular part of my Sunday long run, but doing Brighton Half tomorrow.

Another possible is from Widewater, west towards Worthing?

Good luck and enjoy it...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If you go early enough, you avoid all the half 'traffic' - I've done that in the past (crossed the finish line hours before anyone else)...

The route to Shoreham-by-Sea isn't too bad - run in the South side if the road and there's no reason to stop at the few junctions that are there.

That's a regular part of my Sunday long run, but doing Brighton Half tomorrow.

Another possible is from Widewater, west towards Worthing?

Good luck and enjoy it...

cheers and good luck in the half

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting run this morning. Parked in the layby on the Newhaven Road at Southease, ran to Alfriston along the SDW, snow started around Bo Peep. Got to Alfriston, intended to go on to Jevington but path by the footbridge was flooded so turned round and went back. Basically ran into a blizzard for an hour uphill out of Alfriston, was bloody freezing. Ended up doing 3hrs 30 slowly, about 19 miles.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good luck everyone doing Brighton HM later on today. I am doing Tunbridge Wells instead- but having been delayed 5 hours and just got back from Gatwick, I am not feeling in top form for it!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
See you all on Sunday. Running my first ever actual event after three years solitary plodding up and down the Basingstoke Canal. Will be donning the magnificent rhino costume on behalf of Save the Rhino International at the Brighton Half Marathon. I always told myself I would never run a race, as I need to blot out the world and enter a trance like state to get by but then there is nowhere else I would rather run.

Rhino spotted North of Hove Lagoon at 11:11am. Moving well but around 50" behind Big Nuts. Didn't spot any Brighton shirts. well done all and glad the weather held off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thank you [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]

Ran from Portslade border and to Halfords and back on the south side of the coast road. Longest run so far on my training plan. First thirty minutes a breeze, last fifteen agony indicating I have indeed done too many 30min 5ks. Got through it though and what pleased me was very consistent splits. 4.33 miles in dead on 45 mins with only a few seconds variation between the different miles' pace. Good advice chaps. Hope your HMs went well.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Enjoyed the Brighton half today and set a new pb by 6 minutes so very happy.

Finished in 1 hour 32 minutes 22 seconds. Thanks to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] for the shout out near Hove lagoon.

Hopefully everyone else had a good run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here