Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Amex Sausage Rolls

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They cook it for about half the time it needs to be cooked, allow it to cool, then chill it. Then they package it up, and deliver it to the venue. The cooking is finished in the individual ovens within each catering site.

And how would the lid be added without it coming off?

For a Saturday game, the pies are delivered on the Friday to the Amex. Sodexho have a well-honed system as to how many pies get delivered to which stand. We are talking about thousands of pies here. We are also talking about the thousands they make for other football clubs, rugby clubs, race meetings, functions, festival etc.

I'm not giving away any of Piglet's secrets here - Jo has said as much on the show.
The blind baking was only a suggestion of how it might be done. In the pub we used to make the pie base and add the filling freeze rthem down then buy frozen pastry lids place them on top when ordered and cook them in a combi oven about 7 minutes. It was never a problem and very well received.

I fully understand the process you describe but the filling would need to be cooked as it takes longer to cook steak filling than to bake a pie. As you said sometimes for 5 hours. So again is the filling added hot or cold?

Last edited:

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
The blind baking was only a suggestion iof how it might be done.

I fully undrrstand the process you describe but the filling would need to be cooked as it takes longer to cook steak filling than to bake a pie. As you said sometimes for 5 hours. So again is the filling added hot or cold?

And this confirms it.

You asked so many questions earlier on how a pie is made and now further in the thread you're an expert.

Got to love google/take on what people have said then use this knowledge.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The blind baking was only a suggestion iof how it might be done. In the pub we used to make the pie base and add the filling then buy frozen pastry lids place them on top and cook them in a combi oven about 7 minutes. It was never a problem and very well received.

I fully understand the process you describe but the filling would need to be cooked as it takes longer to cook steak filling than to bake a pie. As you said sometimes for 5 hours. So again is the filling added hot or cold?

Why does it matter whether the filling is added hot or cold ? The whole (complete) pie will then be chilled anyway for transportation etc.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The blind baking was only a suggestion iof how it might be done. In the pub we used to make the pie base and add the filling then buy frozen pastry lids place them on toip and cook them in a combi oven about 7 minutes. It was never a problem and very well received.

Fair enough, but utterly irrelevant for a mass catering operation, and an utterly hopeless thing for this particular one we're talking about.

Hot. As with pretty much every other pie ever made.

Did you think the pastry and the filling were started at the same time?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
And this confirms it.

You asked so many questions earlier on how a pie is made and now further in the thread you're an expert.

Got to love google/take on what people have said then use this knowledge.

I have never said I was an expert just competant and explained how I do it for home use I cannot understand how the pies are not reheated.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fair enough, but utterly irrelevant for a mass catering operation, and an utterly hopeless thing for this particular one we're talking about.

I think he thinks the pies are put together at the Amex, not just cooked...........

Student Grant has a mahoosive tub of chicken balti mix in the WSL kiosk whilst his two co-workers lay out pie cases ready for him to ladle in a spoonful of the spicy mix. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have never said I was an expert just competant and explained how I do it for home use I cannot understand how the pies are not reheated.

Are you just a bit confused between ‘reheated’ and ‘finished cooking’ ?

They’d be reheated if they were already fully cooked.

They’re not. The cooking is finished in ovens in the kiosks at the Amex. Very much like your frozen ones at home would be.........

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Non I do not think that as it is obvious the filling takes longer to cook. So at the end of the day the chicken filling is reheated as it was cooked on Friday and then finished cooking on Saturday The Amex.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ever bought part baked bread?

Now are you cooking it or re-heating it?

Cooking it from frozen but that is not chicken which shouldnt be part cooked or reheated slowly. I have nothing against any other pies being ,made that way just chicken. Chicken should be fully cooked before freezing and reheated very quick as the EHO told us. Hence most frozen chicken pies bought in Iceland or similar are cooked on a higher temperature than other pies and aree eaten within minutes of finishing ooking not perhaps an hour later and kept warm.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Non I do not think that as it is obvious the filling takes longer to cook. So at the end of the day the chicken filling is reheated as it was cooked on Friday and then finished cooking on Saturday The Amex.

Jesus.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here