Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Bloom REALLY in charge ?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Off the pitch or on it? Mullery got the boot after, ironically, an away win at Grimsby (or Sheffield United can't remember exactly). What's the point?

Relegation was almost a foregone conclusion once Mullers went and it was if it was all part of some master plan, with player contracts and costs having got out of control.

Tony Bloom is extremely shrewd and clued up, which is why I cannot fathom out he there is anyway he hasn't seen what the rest of us have, ie a team destined for relegation under the current manager.

Loose administration in the early days of Tony Bloom's rule led to accelerating losses and a manager apparently out of control

Yet the club are boasting they are spending more on players' wages than ever before. But hey, we've got a manager very much under control, so I guess that's all that counts.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Relegation was almost a foregone conclusion once Mullers went and it was if it was all part of some master plan, with player contracts and costs having got out of control.

Tony Bloom is extremely shrewd and clued up, which is why I cannot fathom out he there is anyway he hasn't seen what the rest of us have, ie a team destined for relegation under the current manager.

Yeah just checking that's what you meant, and yes have thinking the same thing for weeks. Like Wolves, although not intentional, relegation was a great way for them to bring their cost base under control, and got all the high-earning crap off their books.

Im not saying for one second that is the intention, but we were equally as woeful for most of that 86-87 season. (I do remember a North Stand chant of Palace reject at Mullery after a 1-0 WIN over Stoke!!!)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
He is now.
And so are Barber and Burke.
Tony has of course always been the boss but due to the stadium and academy and all that goes with it the running the playing side was greatly influenced by 4 others.
If you are lucky enough to have 4 people join your league 1/ Championship club who have played for their countries, played the world cup and been very successful at the pinnacle of league football, coupled together with their very strong mindset you would tend to let them have a very strong say in how to get to the promised land and let them get on with it.
Just to have them around the club must have been a huge influence on a daily basis not only to the other players but right through the club to the top. They certainly led from the dug out and on the pitch and were obviously different class.
I am of course talking about Mr Poyet, Bridge and Upson and Tanno, who are no longer with us and that massive influence has dissapeared and it shows.
Maybe bringing in Sammi was meant to bring a little of it back with his record at Liverpool, but sadly not.
Tony might be a good business man but he is a rookie club chairman, Alan Sugar is a good business man but made a complete Horlicks of Spurs.
Tony had the right idea to surround himself with people who have been there seen it and done it and gamble that they get us to the prem league but the rest is history.
The alternative is to do a Brentford and recruit players that are fighting for each other and for the club or bring in very seasoned very strong willed pros.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He is now.
And so are Barber and Burke.
Tony has of course always been the boss but due to the stadium and academy and all that goes with it the running the playing side was greatly influenced by 4 others.
If you are lucky enough to have 4 people join your league 1/ Championship club who have played for their countries, played the world cup and been very successful at the pinnacle of league football, coupled together with their very strong mindset you would tend to let them have a very strong say in how to get to the promised land and let them get on with it.
Just to have them around the club must have been a huge influence on a daily basis not only to the other players but right through the club to the top. They certainly led from the dug out and on the pitch and were obviously different class.
I am of course talking about Mr Poyet, Bridge and Upson and Tanno, who are no longer with us and that massive influence has dissapeared and it shows.
Maybe bringing in Sammi was meant to bring a little of it back with his record at Liverpool, but sadly not.
Tony might be a good business man but he is a rookie club chairman, Alan Sugar is a good business man but made a complete Horlicks of Spurs.
Tony had the right idea to surround himself with people who have been there seen it and done it and gamble that they get us to the prem league but the rest is history.
The alternative is to do a Brentford and recruit players that are fighting for each other and for the club or bring in very seasoned very strong willed pros.

You were doing quite well until you mentioned Tanno.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Say for example that Bloom is not as rich as everyone thought he was and say for example that the £200million pumped into the club for the AMEX and Lancing was never his money but he was just the front man for investors who didn't want publicity.

Say now that the investors had given up due to the near miss under Gus or had hit financial problems due to their currency tanking in the markets so had no more to invest right now it might explain things in a hypothetical scenario.

So if hypothetically there was problems behind the scene maybe it explains Blooms keenness to stick with the present manager.

It might do, if it were true.

Just do your research on Star Lizard etc etc, Bloom is best guessed to be worth around £2billion. He might be making a big cock up right now, he ain't skint.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I'm an international petro-spiv, from Takeyourpickistan. What do you advise?

A. Take your £200 million and buy distressed London real estate from sanctions-hit Russian oligarchs?
B. Take your £200 million and put it, silently, through cut-outs, into a second-tier provincial football team that hasn't turned a profit since Noah shut the door on the ark?

It's a no-brainer. It's got to be B.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I have it on good authority that Bloom is nowhere near as rich as people think. He has recently made money by using his own building company to build The Amex and saying it cost £100m when it actually only cost £40m...

This was explained to me by a locally well connected face in the world of Sussex sport.

In other news, the moon is made of cheese...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So exactly how did/does Bloom finance the spend on the Amex and the team?

Who did/does he borrow the money from?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
That would be a way out of this mess. But what do you mean by "solving the Burke problem"? Getting rid of the role? Or changing the person who does the job?

The Director of Football function seems only to work when the mgr has respect for the person doing the job. If Burke was replaced by a Coppell/Jewell figure they would inevitably do it differently as well as better. Barber would presumably help facilitate this, although where that would leave those who claim his job description doesn't include football matters I have no idea.

I have it on good authority that Bloom is nowhere near as rich as people think. He has recently made money by using his own building company to build The Amex and saying it cost £100m when it actually only cost £40m...

This was explained to me by a locally well connected face in the world of Sussex sport.

Eh? Who were all those guys wearing jackets with BUCKINGHAM written all over them?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

The most idiotic post of the year:lolol:
Christ he sold his online gambling business for a very large amount around £260 million I think...Laughable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here