Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England squad announced for the Euros

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Whilst there absolutely IS an element of this about every England squad selection, ever (would wonderkid Rashford be in there if he'd scored 5 goals in 12 games for West Brom?), I think your examples are wrong. Wilshere is head and shoulders (and knees and toes) ahead of Drinkwater, in every single facet of play. You have to take the risk. Wilshere / Dier / Alli is potentially England's best midfield in 20 years.

Townsend runs fast. :shrug: Massively limited. If he went, he wouldn't get a game. All of England's width will come from the four inter-changeable attacking full backs.
Agree entirely. Additionally, this is supposed to be part of the plan to get us close to winning things by 2020/22 (Greg Dykes Grand Plan?) therefore selecting players who are likely to be at the core of that plan in 4-6 years time is what makes sense. Of course Rooney (and Vardy to be fair) wont be there blah blah, but where, at least in Roy's mind, there is any question of selection, then he will use that as a decisive factor.. I am more excited about this squad than I have been in a long time - not because I think we will threaten the semi-finals, but because of the attacking intent, and the foundations it could be laying for the future..

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My thoughts on some of the points raised so far:

1) Can somebody remind me of all Wilshere's brilliant games for England? I'm not being deliberately unkind, I just genuinely can't think of an occasion when I've thought "That Wilshere, what a player he is" when he's been wearing an England shirt

2) Is there- possibly- a space for Rooney at the top of midfield? I thought he was great there in that Cup Final he played in the other week. Was arguably the best player on the park, against other, much hyped and younger flops. Could a deeper role allow Vardy and/or Kane to play too?

3) Barkley. Lucky boy to be in the squad. Has had a dire season with Everton and been nowhere near the standard we were starting to expect. Whenever I've seen him play for England he seems to run straight into defenders and give the ball away an awful lot. Clearly a talented lad, but...

4) Henderson is actually a better player than I gave him credit for a few years back. He's become a key player for Liverpool who they've missed when he's been out

5) Rashford: why not? Always good to have a wildcard. The difference between our wildcards and those of better footballing nations is that they throw them in when theyr'e winning, just to give them a chance to shine. We lob them on when we're about to crash out of the tournament and are then surprised when they fail to save us.

6) Drinkwater- probably unlucky not to get a go, as hasn't looked out of place

7) Sturridge, or at least one other player, will get injured pre-tournament, it's the rules. Thus Drinkwater and/or Townsend will probably get to go after all.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Wilshere hasn't done much but he is obviously a good player. I am not really sure why people are focussing on him and not some other midfielders that were selected.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Have Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain been out injured, or just out of favour? I don't really follow the Premier League, but those are the only other two wide players I can think of in the England setup.

I like the emphasis on attacking, but England look light at the back, I guess Jagielka is done and Jones has been out a while? Again, I don't really follow PL.

Hart
Walker Smalling Cahill Rose
Dier
Rooney Alli Sterling
Vardy Kane

I like the look of that team as long as our opponents don't bother to attack.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never forget the four stages of being an England supporter up to and into a tournament (for which we have qualified):

1. Fear
2. Missplaced Optimism
3. Disappointment
4. Dusgust

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Milner had a very good season. Perfect utility player, great at crossing, he's better under Klopp. Drinkwater should have got the nod over Wilshire. I've no real other qualms, Townsend is hit and hope and Henderson is a better player than some people on here make out.
For me it's the best squad I've seen since 1996. For the first time in 20 years I'm excited by England, theres a great balance of youth and experience. If we can shield our defence enough (hence Drinkwater if Dier gets injured), we've the firepower to be watchable.

Agree with all of this, apart from Drinkwater should have gone instead of Barkley not Wilshere.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Never forget the four stages of being an England supporter up to and into a tournament (for which we have qualified):

1. Fear
2. Missplaced Optimism
3. Disappointment
4. Dusgust

Better than the four stages of being a Scotland supporter I suppose.

1) "Brace yersel's, we're the famous Tartan Army & we're gonnae win the World Cup"
2) "Fer fock's sake, focken' Peru? PERU?" (see also Iran, Costa Rica)
3) "Ach, we're only a wee nation, wi' a population o' five million, a ne'er expected anythin' anyway"
4) "C'mon {[insert opponents of England here]"

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My thoughts on some of the points raised so far:

1) Can somebody remind me of all Wilshere's brilliant games for England? I'm not being deliberately unkind, I just genuinely can't think of an occasion when I've thought "That Wilshere, what a player he is" when he's been wearing an England shirt

2) Is there- possibly- a space for Rooney at the top of midfield? I thought he was great there in that Cup Final he played in the other week. Was arguably the best player on the park, against other, much hyped and younger flops. Could a deeper role allow Vardy and/or Kane to play too?

3) Barkley. Lucky boy to be in the squad. Has had a dire season with Everton and been nowhere near the standard we were starting to expect. Whenever I've seen him play for England he seems to run straight into defenders and give the ball away an awful lot. Clearly a talented lad, but...

4) Henderson is actually a better player than I gave him credit for a few years back. He's become a key player for Liverpool who they've missed when he's been out

5) Rashford: why not? Always good to have a wildcard. The difference between our wildcards and those of better footballing nations is that they throw them in when theyr'e winning, just to give them a chance to shine. We lob them on when we're about to crash out of the tournament and are then surprised when they fail to save us.

6) Drinkwater- probably unlucky not to get a go, as hasn't looked out of place

7) Sturridge, or at least one other player, will get injured pre-tournament, it's the rules. Thus Drinkwater and/or Townsend will probably get to go after all.

Spot on with all of this. I'd be keen on the following starting line-up and formation:

---------------------------- Hart -------------------------
Clyne ------ Smalling ------ Cahill ---------- Rose
-------------------------- Dier ----------------------------
------------ Alli ------------- Wilshere/Henderson --
------------------------ Rooney --------------------------
----------------- Vardy ---------- Kane -----------------

Really like your point about bringing Rashford on if/when we're winning.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I can't say I am excited by the squad on paper, but if our starting eleven has that youth and vibrancy that means they're less aware of their limits, then great. Expectations aren't for glory, but looking to play well and having that thrilling zip to the bulldog spirit we're so used to witnessing banging it's head and jowls against the walls built by the slick and clinical. Centre half is our weakspot, so it'll be a real team effort, and that I like to see.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010

1. Fear
2. Missplaced Optimism
3. Disappointment
4. Dusgust

Updated to include the first stage:

0. Embarrassment

(I know it's an old video, with a misleading title. Sentiment remains unchanged, however.)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Updated to include the first stage:

0. Embarrassment

(I know it's an old video, with a misleading title. Sentiment remains unchanged, however.)

Black Lace? The Agadoo people? :ohmy:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Edna - Point 1 : the last 2 or 3 games he played for England just before he got injured, he was excellent.. man of the match performances, capped by 2 fantastic strikes.. showed what he is capable of. Match fitness is the challenge with him, not ability.. IMHO obviously!

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Not watching it. Dissgusted that Bruno was not chosen dispite being the best right back in the division. i'm not biased just as he plays for us he is better than any other England right back. Hogson to lazy to watch players not in the Prem

Regards

DR

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not watching it. Dissgusted that Bruno was not chosen dispite being the best right back in the division. i'm not biased just as he plays for us he is better than any other England right back. Hogson to lazy to watch players not in the Prem

Regards

DR

Bloody Hell, you've become quite the satirist, haven't you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here