Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Facebook’s unrelenting quest to take over the (digital) world continues

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I need FB for Open water swimming primarily as it tells me if certain lakes etc are open or shut. There is no other way I'd know so FB is a necessary evil. It's number 1 demographic is certainly middle aged women with postings split into

1. ''Share this picture if you know what it feels like to be a MUM'' types.
2. Those who post LIVID xx or Checking into ''Accident and Emergency'' expecting a host of replies asking what's wrong in a desperate attempt for attention.
3. The ones who only post when staying in a 5 star resort fully glammed up to show us all how perfect their lives are before they scrub the make up off and eat a plate of chips off camera.
4. The thicko who shares the ''PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO STEAL YOUR HOUSES'' after reading and sharing a clearly fake story and have never heard of the Snopes website to check it.

The mute function is a joy albeit a bit embarrassing when the sister in law asks if I've seen the pictures of my children.

Give me Instagram or Twitter any day of the week.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
way too many useless adverts, redirections for stuff I have absolutely no interest in, news I don't care about, local groups full of angry nutcases, and people I "might know" who I have never heard of.

Sounds like on here (especially the brexit thread re: Angry nutcases )

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
The yoof have more or less deserted it completely (precisely due to their parents using it a lot I'd imagine) and all use snapchat or instagram.

Don't think many of the yoof have an account, like you said, it's Instagram or Snapchat with Instagram being the popular (according to my teenagers)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't think many of the yoof have an account, like you said, it's Instagram or Snapchat with Instagram being the popular (according to my teenagers)

Definitely....that said, my reply was more in relation to the FB app rather than the company. The app will die on it's arse at some point, but the company has so many other avenues open they're tying the market up. The examples quoted by [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION] and [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] do my head in............especially those that are so easily checked out before posting as fake, but people can't be arsed. 'Ooooh, thanks for the warning Hun.....'. **** off.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Facebook may be very useful for some things (electronic stalking of "friends"), but it is a terrible site overall - way too many useless adverts, redirections for stuff I have absolutely no interest in, news I don't care about, local groups full of angry nutcases, and people I "might know" who I have never heard of.

You can deselect adverts that have no relevance to you. Each advert has an option to do that. so after a while, you do only see things of interest. Like any app, it's not the app buy how you use it.

You can also unfollow some friends, so that you are still friends, but you don't see their status.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It WORKS!! I have a whole new news feed. I’m seeing posts from people I haven’t seen in years.
Here’s how to bypass the system FB now has in place that limits posts on your news feed.
Their new algorithm chooses the same few people - about 25 - who will read your posts. Therefore,
Hold your finger down anywhere in this post and "copy" will pop up. Click "copy". Then go your page, start a new post and put your finger anywhere in the blank field. "Paste" will pop up and click paste.
This will bypass the system.
Thank you

No, no it ****ing doesn't.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Definitely....that said, my reply was more in relation to the FB app rather than the company. The app will die on it's arse at some point, but the company has so many other avenues open they're tying the market up. The examples quoted by [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION] and [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] do my head in............especially those that are so easily checked out before posting as fake, but people can't be arsed. 'Ooooh, thanks for the warning Hun.....'. **** off.
I'm talking about the apps as well. [emoji106]

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My friend who lives in New Zealand has lost his cat..it’s a tabby and his name is pepper..he has a name tag around his neck if anyone sees pepper in Brighton ENGLAND, 50,000,000 trillion miles away please let me know or share this..FFS..

Oh by the way... Pepper went missing in 2006..

Cant be arsed to check the bloody date before sharing so feel free to clog up my newsfeed with utter bollocks like above.....

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I need FB for Open water swimming primarily as it tells me if certain lakes etc are open or shut. There is no other way I'd know so FB is a necessary evil. It's number 1 demographic is certainly middle aged women with postings split into

1. ''Share this picture if you know what it feels like to be a MUM'' types.
2. Those who post LIVID xx or Checking into ''Accident and Emergency'' expecting a host of replies asking what's wrong in a desperate attempt for attention.
3. The ones who only post when staying in a 5 star resort fully glammed up to show us all how perfect their lives are before they scrub the make up off and eat a plate of chips off camera.
4. The thicko who shares the ''PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO STEAL YOUR HOUSES'' after reading and sharing a clearly fake story and have never heard of the Snopes website to check it.

The mute function is a joy albeit a bit embarrassing when the sister in law asks if I've seen the pictures of my children.

Give me Instagram or Twitter any day of the week.

I’d like to add my personal pet hate on FB. Usually text over photograph of a woman sitting on a beach with her head in her hands or in a shadow by a window. Something along the lines of...

“It’s the ones who give the most, the ones who listen the most, the ones who smile the most, the ones who love the most that are hurting inside the most”.

So transparently narcissistic. Makes me sick.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
It's the sign of a company in decline, throwing any idea out there hoping something will take. It's a strategy as old as time. FB peaked years ago.

Can’t see much of a decline myself.

8B617CA4-558F-4BA2-A8CD-1A56E2AC98C3.jpeg

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
My friend who lives in New Zealand has lost his cat..it’s a tabby and his name is pepper..he has a name tag around his neck if anyone sees pepper in Brighton ENGLAND, 50,000,000 trillion miles away please let me know or share this..FFS..

Oh by the way... Pepper went missing in 2006..

Cant be arsed to check the bloody date before sharing so feel free to clog up my newsfeed with utter bollocks like above.....

Urgh.

"Shared in Plumpton xxx"

"shared in Corby good luck hun x"

"shared in Buckfastleigh hope u find him xxxxxxxxxxx"

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My daughter has just moved from Apple to Facebook and the suggestion that they are in decline is miles wide of the mark.

This.

Personally I've only ever had a cursory look in my FB account every 6 months or so, but I know loads and loads of people who still adore FB. Plus many others who use it to unsubtly plug their businesses and to network.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I am one of the few who doesn't have friends, or cares if I have no friends. I very rarely answer the phone let alone use social media! I am a hobbit, an outcast who would prefer to stay under the radar. I do not need to be in a group, or circle, or be one of the sheeple. I've been married for 35 years so any ambition, optimism or self esteem has been systematically nagged out of me.
Now just let me crawl back into my hollow and keep the noise down:shootself

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here