Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw of Montreal last night. Wary of the Brighton reviews I approached the gig with mixed feelings (and a sizeable hangover due to a visiting friend's penchant for cocktails) but needn't have worried. A couple of Astras and I was busting moves with everyone else as both band and crowd were up for it. It was "Karnival" and a Saturday night and I guess both conspired to deliver a fun evening. One thing which struck me about the band was the tightness and quality of their musicianship, the crystal clear sound quality especially for the vocal and, dare I say it, the professionalism of the band. Not seen this before. Maybe this has always existed but lost in the slight DIY vibe they have previously presented? As [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] mentioned there was also more "funk." Again, has this always been there? The big stage also gave them room to dance around, especially Barnes and the keyboard player, and by the 4th or 5th song everyone around me (about 7 rows of people back) was moving. What hangover?

Am super-psyched they have just been added to the Melt line-up.

One final thing; the Frau bumped into Barnes and complemented him on his vocal last night. He gripped her hand and said in an incredibly camp US whine "that's the nicest thing anyone can say to me, I'm a big fan of Nina Simone" before planting a kiss on her left cheek.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Saw of Montreal last night. Wary of the Brighton reviews I approached the gig with mixed feelings (and a sizeable hangover due to a visiting friend's penchant for cocktails) but needn't have worried. A couple of Astras and I was busting moves with everyone else as both band and crowd were up for it. It was "Karnival" and a Saturday night and I guess both conspired to deliver a fun evening. One thing which struck me about the band was the tightness and quality of their musicianship, the crystal clear sound quality especially for the vocal and, dare I say it, the professionalism of the band. Not seen this before. Maybe this has always existed but lost in the slight DIY vibe they have previously presented? As [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] mentioned there was also more "funk." Again, has this always been there? The big stage also gave them room to dance around, especially Barnes and the keyboard player, and by the 4th or 5th song everyone around me (about 7 rows of people back) was moving. What hangover?

Am super-psyched they have just been added to the Melt line-up.

One final thing; the Frau bumped into Barnes and complemented him on his vocal last night. He gripped her hand and said in an incredibly camp US whine "that's the nicest thing anyone can say to me, I'm a big fan of Nina Simone" before planting a kiss on her left cheek.

You obviously enjoyed your evening. I find live music is so much better when under the influence, I rarely watch anyone totally sober.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You obviously enjoyed your evening. I find live music is so much better when under the influence, I rarely watch anyone totally sober.

I saw Trash Kit / Chocolate Billy / Space Siren / Thurston Moore / The Ex on Sunday night and had a marvellous time without a drop passing my lips (owing to the only choices being rubbish industrial lager, not through any real desire to be righteous).

I've drunk a fair amount and watched thousands of bands in the past 35 years, but never in all that time have I ever really associated the two (apart from seeing the Pogues on St Patricks Day a few times in the 80s, but that's another story...). A pint or two before going into a venue maybe, but seldom more once I'm inside.

I'm not really sure how it has worked out that way, considering I enjoy both hobbies immensely... Probably a combination of me being a beer snob and the venues rarely having anything I want to drink. But it's certainly been the saviour of my liver over time.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Live Music 2014

The Tense Men (single launch)/Slum Of Legs/Occult Hand/Soft Walls gig at the Cowley Club on Friday looks good. I can't go but here's a heads up.
£5 benefit gig.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Tense Men (single launch)/Slum Of Legs/Occult Hand/Soft Walls gig at the Cowley Club on Friday looks good. I can't go but here's a heads up.
£5 benefit gig.

It does rather, I'm hoping to pop along, the benefit is for BHCR, the station I broadcast on AND on that subject - this week's show features music from Anais Mitchell, The Men, John Grant & Speak Galactic who all play Brighton (or Bexhill) in the near future.

http://www.mixcloud.com/jamesmclarnon562/sonic-shuffle-03032014/

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just giving the Trans Red Ep another spin this morning. Really whetting my appetite for the Green Door Store gig after the game on saturday. Really looking forward to this one.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The Chameleons (Vox) are playing The Concorde on Fri 16th May... got mine :) be a nice throwback

nice, just checked on Resident and notice that 'The Hold Steady' has been added to TGE and Dean Wareham is playing the Albert later that month

Happy May :)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just giving the Trans Red Ep another spin this morning. Really whetting my appetite for the Green Door Store gig after the game on saturday. Really looking forward to this one.

Same here, the Green EP stuff is one you tube as well if you fancy familiarisaing yourself with those tracks pre gig.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I see the Brian Jonestown Massacre have announced for late June. The days of them selling the Concorde out are long gone aren't they? Their last few records have sunk without trace. I remember seeing them there 5 or 6 years ago and they played til gone midnight for an 11.00 curfew gig, no idea how they got away with it but it was a brilliant night

Andrew Wk is partying hard at The Haunt in July as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Neneh Cherry's solo come back must rank as one of the more surprising returns. If you're into left-field sparse electronics then go buy. The music totally suits her vocal and live performance and boy can she still perform (and she is still in box-fresh adidas). She and RocketNumber9, who take a lot of the credit for this work, both put the Berghain Funktion One sound system through its paces last night performing the album in its entirety with Buffalo Stance as an encore. If you get a chance to see them dont miss it.

My next step is to find out more about these Rocket boys.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
How was Mr Grant?

Very good indeed. An adoring crowd, a nice venue and fantastic band - and John seemed, dare I say it, quite happy and relaxed. Self deprecating as always, but what a voice! Queen of Denmark was a highlight, and Pale Green Ghosts had the crowd moving. Where Dreams go to Die nearly made me cry and he did a fantastic cover of Abba's Angel Eyes. Most of the crowd appeared to be from Brighton with a long convoy of cars leaving Bexhill at the same time. A wonderful evening.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here