Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Because there is only one version of in: as we were.

No there isn't, there's at least two :

1. Remain in the EU and stay as we are
2. Remian in the EU and join the Eurozone

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That is the planned parliamentary date for leaving the EU. Parliament can change its mind - which we may well be heading for. On our way.

Parliament could indeed change their mind but it would require another act of parliament to change it and the time for doing so is very rapidly running out.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Time is moving along. But, Mays vote is all likelihood this side of Xmas. If it fails, and Parliament really does not want a no deal, then all bets are on. If Parliament chooses an alternative path to "No deal", then I suspect that a time limited extension of A50 for a couple of months could be accommodated by the EU.

I suspect there will be many options, including remain in the EU -or at least a Norway EEA. But, No deal is not an option -never has been. Otherwise we would have planned for it 2 years ago and left lock, stock and barrel in March. The downside to our economy made it clear as a non starter.

Parliament could indeed change their mind but it would require another act of parliament to change it and the time for doing so is very rapidly running out.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Why not 'In' split into a variety of different options?

Because we, you, I and the rest of the nation already knew what being in was like, hence the debate in the first place, some wanted or were prepared to accept the status quo, others, like yourself were not satisfied and demanded change. This is a perfectly acceptable stance to take but the issues were so widespread that out eventually won the day. The problem with that is that "out" had many many outcomes and landing zones, some were apparent before the vote and were warned about, others have become more and more apparent ever since the vote.

Now is the time for grown up thinking, we've had the arguments for leave and remain and have just been spinning in circles, I expect all UK politicians to have our nations best interests as first and foremost but sadly now this expectation is waning and I find myself becoming cynical to their ulterior motives. If you cannot trust elected politicians then where do we go from here?

Remain people have consistently spoke out against the possible/probable outcomes of a leave outcome, you say "project fear" but I believe it's project reality, even the Mogg has stated it is likely to be 50 years before any real benefit is likely to be felt and I did not hear, see or read that during the referendum campaign.

There is so much difficulty to overcome, negotiate and compromise and for what? To either go off a cliff edge without knowing if or even when things will maybe improve or accept the compromise deal which leaves us far worse off politically, financially and less united as a United Kingdom to satisfy a small majority of our country who either knew these outcomes were likely but found them acceptable or were uninformed and voted on misinformation and even those who felt they had nothing to lose either way and went for something different rather than the status quo, there are even some who voted leave who honestly believed that remain would win anyway and their vote would be a poke in the eye to the establishment or Tory and labour leadership etc etc.

To qualify this I am in the remain side, I have always been of the opinion that it's better the devil you know and there are so many different arguments that I and I expect a lot of people from both sides of the devide do not fully understand all the details or ultimately what is best for our country which is why we elect people who we would hope have our countries and our people's interests foremost, this brings me back to my second paragraph and so the circles continue.

I don't particularly want a second vote but how else can this impasse be negotiated ? I am beginning to see that Mays deal will not satisfy the majority on both sides, our politicians cannot agree on which way to go, their leaders are whipping them to toe their party lines which doesn't always satisfy their conscience and the only real outcome not seemingly wanted is a no deal outcome, so I find I am reluctantly in favour of a second vote with all we know now firmly debated on if no deal wins then then so be it, but an honest campaign with no mistruths, lies, or interference from vested interests allowed, let the people then decide on factual evidence without recriminations, a fantasy I know but I live in hope.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Time is moving along. But, Mays vote is all likelihood this side of Xmas. If it fails, and Parliament really does not want a no deal, then all bets are on. If Parliament chooses an alternative path to "No deal", then I suspect that a time limited extension of A50 for a couple of months could be accommodated by the EU.

I suspect there will be many options, including remain in the EU -or at least a Norway EEA. But, No deal is not an option -never has been. Otherwise we would have planned for it 2 years ago and left lock, stock and barrel in March. The downside to our economy made it clear as a non starter.

December 12th.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
May all over the place in the Commons with her statement, getting on to an hour now and not one MP of either side has supported her deal yet

To be fair to May, it is a load of MPs contradicting themselves on what they said during the vote and after.

Johnson for example

"He says the deal does not provide certainty for businesses, which isn't helped by ministers saying the UK will remain part of the single market and customs union whilst the PM says the UK is taking back control of trade policy"

the same man that was quoted at saying "**** Business" earlier in the year.

plus of course:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-single-market-brexit-campaign-customs-union-2018-1

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
May all over the place in the Commons with her statement, getting on to an hour now and not one MP of either side has supported her deal yet

Very shaky performance from Mrs May or just her usual performance.
Just a question now of how many votes she will lose the meaningful vote by

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here