Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Travellers have ancient right to land

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
So does he believe tax payers money should go into funding travellers with amenities and a free parking when the council/ police are crying out for more funding?

el punal

Recently I travelled on the Virgin East Coast train from Edinburgh to Kings Cross. Just after Berwick I noticed a permanent travellers camp. All was pristine within the perimeter fence, outside there was enough crap and rubbish to overload a land fill site. :shrug:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16412889.travellers-pitch-up-at-wild-park-in-brighton/?ref=mr&lp=4

TRAVELLERS who illegally set up camp in a park have an “ancient right” to use the land, according to Labour MP for Kemptown Lloyd Russell-Moyle

Caravans moved on to Wild Park in Brighton this week.

They left the area yesterday morning after the city council and the police visited the site on Thursday and served them with a warning notice.

Labour MP for Kemptown Lloyd Russell-Moyle said: “With all these issues concerning travellers and use of public space, it’s about balance.

“Firstly, it’s about making sure the general public can access the park undisturbed and use the playing fields.

“Secondly, it’s about making sure the council provides enough accommodation for travellers.

“The travellers have an ancient right to use the land because they have been using it since before it became Wild Park. However, this balance is difficult to achieve if the council doesn’t have permanent sites set up for travellers.

“If there is space available, I think the council should consider designating them as accommodation sites for travellers. This is for travellers from all different ethnicities and backgrounds.”

Mr Russell-Moyle said setting up permanent sites would reduce trespassing.

He said: “If there are decent provisions, this will prevent illegal encampment on protected lands.

“In a broader perspective people have rights to enjoy themselves, but at the same time not break the law.”

A Brighton and Hove City Council council spokeswoman said: “The travellers were served a warning notice as the site is protected by the city’s Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) scheme.

“They left yesterday morning and city parks have re-secured the site. No further action was needed.”

The man is a ****ing idiot. He seems to think these “travellers” are romantic Romanies traversing the land in their horse-drawn vardos, eking out a living from selling hand whittled wooden pegs. In reality they are happy to live outside the law, overcharging elderly citizens for shoddy building or landscaping work, and using threats and intimidation against anyone who challenges them,

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Perhaps the council should buy a bit of land and turn it into a traveller site. I'd suggest the land behind the garage on the A27 eastbound between Falmer and Lewes as there's few neighbours and it's out of the way without being too remote. Charge them £50 per van deposit and if the place isn't covered in shit when they leave they get it back.

Oddly enough, they already do. Even though it's in a neighbouring council area.

https://bhcc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=81afe7d6c1ab4d7d8d8b2f621b81541d

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16412889.travellers-pitch-up-at-wild-park-in-brighton/?ref=mr&lp=4

TRAVELLERS who illegally set up camp in a park have an “ancient right” to use the land, according to Labour MP for Kemptown Lloyd Russell-Moyle

Caravans moved on to Wild Park in Brighton this week.

They left the area yesterday morning after the city council and the police visited the site on Thursday and served them with a warning notice.

Labour MP for Kemptown Lloyd Russell-Moyle said: “With all these issues concerning travellers and use of public space, it’s about balance.

“Firstly, it’s about making sure the general public can access the park undisturbed and use the playing fields.

“Secondly, it’s about making sure the council provides enough accommodation for travellers.

“The travellers have an ancient right to use the land because they have been using it since before it became Wild Park. However, this balance is difficult to achieve if the council doesn’t have permanent sites set up for travellers.

“If there is space available, I think the council should consider designating them as accommodation sites for travellers. This is for travellers from all different ethnicities and backgrounds.”

Mr Russell-Moyle said setting up permanent sites would reduce trespassing.

He said: “If there are decent provisions, this will prevent illegal encampment on protected lands.

“In a broader perspective people have rights to enjoy themselves, but at the same time not break the law.”

A Brighton and Hove City Council council spokeswoman said: “The travellers were served a warning notice as the site is protected by the city’s Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) scheme.

“They left yesterday morning and city parks have re-secured the site. No further action was needed.”

We have had numerous didicoy incidents near where I live and every summer it's the same. What I would like to know is where do they all go in the winter?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What "ancient right" is he referring to? I'm not aware of any.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We have had numerous didicoy incidents near where I live and every summer it's the same. What I would like to know is where do they all go in the winter?

torremolinos.jpg

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Well my ancestors used to roam the Downs and the fields of Brighton long before they were called the Downs and Brighton so does that mean I have the right to go and sit in his front room as it used to be open land?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I've only come across 2 types of travellers. They are what i would call 'new age' travellers and 'shed loads of money' travellers (although that is not what i actually call them).
The new age travellers are generally found in car parks and hidden away spaces with absolutely crap vehicles & caravans. I have absolutely no worries when i walk past them with my dog and they even say hello. There are no quad bikes, no mess around them or the area and they generally seem quite nice.
The 'shed loads of money' travellers are generally found in the middle of public spaces with new cars and caravans, loads of quad bikes & a load of rubbish around them. There is no way that i would walk my dog through the middle of their 'camp', I've tried it once before when my dog legged it over to their 'camp' in the middle of Stanmer park. The quad bikers tried to run over me and my dog while they let their dogs start to attack mine. It was only luck that my dog is very fast and that a police car arrived with the Traveller liason officer as it was starting to get really nasty.
I won't go anywhere near the 'shed loads of money' travellers now and resent the fact that i don't feel safe when they are around the area and I can't walk my dog where i usually go.
I've heard that the 'proper' Romany travellers don't generally cause mayhem in the way that the 'shed loads of money' ones do and they try to distance themselves as much as they can from them. It would be an interesting experiment to get together loads of people and pitch our tents and caravans in the middle of Wild Park, to save on pitch fees & see how long it takes us all to be shifted from there, I would bet fifty quid we wouldn't be there 3 days later.
They have no more right to ancient land than I do & I'm sick of my council tax money being spent to clear up after the lazy ********.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've only come across 2 types of travellers. They are what i would call 'new age' travellers and 'shed loads of money' travellers (although that is not what i actually call them).
The new age travellers are generally found in car parks and hidden away spaces with absolutely crap vehicles & caravans. I have absolutely no worries when i walk past them with my dog and they even say hello. There are no quad bikes, no mess around them or the area and they generally seem quite nice.
The 'shed loads of money' travellers are generally found in the middle of public spaces with new cars and caravans, loads of quad bikes & a load of rubbish around them. There is no way that i would walk my dog through the middle of their 'camp', I've tried it once before when my dog legged it over to their 'camp' in the middle of Stanmer park. The quad bikers tried to run over me and my dog while they let their dogs start to attack mine. It was only luck that my dog is very fast and that a police car arrived with the Traveller liason officer as it was starting to get really nasty.
I won't go anywhere near the 'shed loads of money' travellers now and resent the fact that i don't feel safe when they are around the area and I can't walk my dog where i usually go.
I've heard that the 'proper' Romany travellers don't generally cause mayhem in the way that the 'shed loads of money' ones do and they try to distance themselves as much as they can from them. It would be an interesting experiment to get together loads of people and pitch our tents and caravans in the middle of Wild Park, to save on pitch fees & see how long it takes us all to be shifted from there, I would bet fifty quid we wouldn't be there 3 days later.
They have no more right to ancient land than I do & I'm sick of my council tax money being spent to clear up after the lazy ********.

Good post.
Thanks for mentioning Stanmer Park, I will avoid if I see any ' shed loads' if I'm dog walking. I'm annoyed just reading what happened to you.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I had a discussion with a friend last weekend about these scoundrels that he used to have to deal with when he worked for a council.

We noted that we had both done plenty of travelling in our lives and had wild camped in many places. I have even pitched up in front of the church in Alfriston and was cooked a lovely breakfast by one of the residents!

The difference is that our ethos was always “leave no trace”, whereas - as others have said - the types that turn up in our city every year in their caravans leave a multi-thousand pound clear up behind them every time. Apparently, they also often enter into “discussions” with enforcement officers carrying knives and making personal threats. It’s no wonder they’re not welcome.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Well I bloody well do. Putting aside for one moment the rubbish they leave, the threats they make to locals and the increase in shop lifting and I don't see why anyone should be able to just pull their caravan on to public land and live there for a while - you're surely not suggesting that are you ? Anyone can just pitch camp at say Preston Park, or Waterhall or St Helen's Green or Victoria Gardens or The Rockery ?? They have a site financed by local taxpayers and should effing well use it or be run out of town.
I hear that similar views about travellers were made by a member of the public on a BBC Midlands radio show last week,describing them as parasites. The leader of Walsall council agreed with the caller, but was then later placed under pressure to apologise through the BBC - why? It seems to me that the vast majority of law abiding / tax paying people agree that tougher action needs to be taken against the anti social and illegal activity of certain types of traveller community. Far from being forced to apologise, the leader of Walsall council ought to be to be praised but too many people are too scared to speak out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here