Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The "Where will Zaha go?" Summer 2018 thread

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
He's not an attacking midfielder. He played in defensive midfield for Schalke last season. He's also incredibly talented and would represent arguably the best signing of any side this season if we can pull it off.

And he wants more than 80k per week :moo:
He has gone to loads of clubs and couldn't agree terms he might be good but you are showing your desperation now

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's not an attacking midfielder. He played in defensive midfield for Schalke last season. He's also incredibly talented and would represent arguably the best signing of any side this season if we can pull it off.

And he wants more than 80k per week :moo:

How typical. Palace just cannot resist going into full-on hyperbole mode. Not "a promising signing". Not "he looks like he could do a job", no no. Thats never enough for a Palace fan. He'd be "THE BEST SIGNING OF ANY SIDE THIS SEASON" :rolleyes:

"Wilf is the best player in the division outside the top 6"
"Our ground and fans are the best in the country at making an atmosphere"
"Jonny Williams is the best British midfielder this country has ever seen"

etc, etc, etc :yawn:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Meyer is an excellent footballer, so it would be a shame if he ended up at Palace. At the same time though, he wants massive wages (turned down Arsenal and Marseilles’ best offers) and is known to have attitude problems. In those respects, he seems a good fit.
Was about to say the same. Refused a new contract at Schalke and walked away. Touted himself round Europe but wanted more money than some big clubs were willing to pay.

Step forward Crystal Palace and their "£100k a week to anyone with two legs" wage policy. Another mercenary **** to join the ranks. Although I'm sure he'll be choosing Selhurst over The Emirates or Anfield and Croydon over Marseille purely for "football reasons". [emoji23]

What could possibly go wrong?!

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
In this topic:

Jahanbakhsh : Untested in the Prem, oooo risky

Meyer: Untested in the Prem, oooo best signing of the season bar none including Mahrez, Fred, Alisson, Jorginho and a whole host of other OBVIOUS FAILURES

I haven't said anything at all about Jahanbakhsh.

There are certainly some excellent signings on that list, but none of them are in the same ballpark as a player like Meyer signing for a club like Palace. Mahrez is an excellent signing, but City are expected to sign players of that standard. Palace are potentially signing a first team regular in a side that finished 2nd in the Bundesliga last season. His wages will be enormous but we're not paying a transfer fee, so it'll even out.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
How typical. Palace just cannot resist going into full-on hyperbole mode. Not "a promising signing". Not "he looks like he could do a job", no no. Thats never enough for a Palace fan. He'd be "THE BEST SIGNING OF ANY SIDE THIS SEASON" :rolleyes:

"Wilf is the best player in the division outside the top 6"

I didn't realise that was still up for debate?

Now that Zaha's only competition (Mahrez) has signed for City, it's an open and shut case, surely?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

There are certainly some excellent signings on that list, but none of them are in the same ballpark as a player like Meyer signing for a club like Palace. Mahrez is an excellent signing, but City are expected to sign players of that standard. Palace are potentially signing a first team regular in a side that finished 2nd in the Bundesliga last season. His wages will be enormous but we're not paying a transfer fee, so it'll even out.

Not paying a transfer fee to a club yes.... he will get a hefty hefty signing on fee from for whoever he joins though as will his agent..
Why has no one else shown interest if he's on a free ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not paying a transfer fee to a club yes.... he will get a hefty hefty signing on fee from for whoever he joins though as will his agent..

He sounds like a nice lad, ego-free and unlikely to cause any trouble at all. Should fit right in.

"However he fell out with the Schalke hierarchy after failing to agree a new contract last season. The Bundesliga club were unwilling to meet Meyer’s wage demands and banished him from training in April after his public criticism of Christian Heidel, the sporting director.

Meyer’s struggle to find a club has raised eyebrows given his talent. Yet various suitors have felt he is too expensive and that has enabled Palace to offer him a route into the Premier League."

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/31/crystal-palace-max-meyer-closing-in

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Yeah you're right, it was Dougie. My bad.

The point stands though. Untested is untested whichever team they're signing for.

Also, FWIW, I really like Meyer. Signed him for Brighton in Football Manager once and he was awesome. Course, if he signs for you I'll have to dislike out of principle :tantrum:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So too expensive for everyone else, but not for Palace.

We've seen how this sort of thing ends up in Croydon before. Palace's creditors should be calling in their debts soon-ish.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
He sounds like a nice lad, ego-free and unlikely to cause any trouble at all. Should fit right in.

"However he fell out with the Schalke hierarchy after failing to agree a new contract last season. The Bundesliga club were unwilling to meet Meyer’s wage demands and banished him from training in April after his public criticism of Christian Heidel, the sporting director.

Meyer’s struggle to find a club has raised eyebrows given his talent. Yet various suitors have felt he is too expensive and that has enabled Palace to offer him a route into the Premier League."

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/31/crystal-palace-max-meyer-closing-in

http://sportwitness.co.uk/max-meyer-crystal-palace-backed-germany-transfer-mocked/

Might be worth a read.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013

How do you know that they haven't?

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Touted around Europe, no one wanted him and he ends up at Palace. Forgive me my lack of envy right now.

https://www.dw.com/en/max-meyers-search-for-a-big-money-move-goes-on/a-44879798

Nobody wanted him except for Arsenal, Liverpool and Marseille, according to that article. The deals collapsed over wage demands, not because the player wasn't good enough.

Parish has seen the Palace wage bill drop by roughly £300k/w this summer, so we can afford to give a signficant chunk of that to a player of outstanding quality, who would likely represent an opportunity to sell on for a huge profit if he performs well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nobody wanted him except for Arsenal, Liverpool and Marseille, according to that article. The deals collapsed over wage demands, not because the player wasn't good enough.

The two are linked. They obviously didn't think he was "good enough" for the "wage demands" he was making. Admittedly it does look like it could be a huge coup for a side of Palace's size and infrastructure.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here