Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Enoch Powell correct?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
How many of the Islamophobes, not least on this board are genuine, card carrying Christains tho? I wouldn't have thought there are many church going regulars who are crying out for their Moslem neighbours to be interned, or any of the other ridiculous measures mooted by some who claim to be sticking up for their Christian faith, yes, Britain First, I am looking at you

That term Islamaphobes suggests an irrational fear/dislike of Islam. Isn't it more irrational not to fear/dislike an unreconstructed religion that has changed little from the 7th century and still holds a vice like grip on the poor indoctrinated minds of it's many followers ?

Yoda

English & European
nice swerve, i don't think that has got anything to do with the current situation ??? have you heard of any west indian suicide bombers:facepalm::
regards
DR

Yes, Germaine Lindsay (one of the 7/7 bombers) was born in Jamaica before moving to the UK and converting to Islam when he married Samantha Lewthwaite (who was an earlier convert).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That term Islamaphobes suggests an irrational fear/dislike of Islam. Isn't it more irrational not to fear/dislike an unreconstructed religion that has changed little from the 7th century and still holds a vice like grip on the poor indoctrinated minds of it's many followers ?

while you make an excellent point on the state of Islam, its still irrational to fear an entire culture who for the most part just get on with their day to day and whose cultrual practices dont interfere with any one. as someone who works with a number of muslims it really doesnt make an iota of difference, except ramadan when they are a bit tide and tetchy (and im like that every Monday).

Jan 30, 2008
Yes, Germaine Lindsay (one of the 7/7 bombers) was born in Jamaica before moving to the UK and converting to Islam when he married Samantha Lewthwaite (who was an earlier convert).
Well thanks for the heads up , but still a muslim
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
No I don't know what was meant. It was you who brought "Christians" into this debate.

I'm beginning to think you mean "white people". Or am I wrong?

As for avoiding future conflict, the first step I would take would be to do something about the growth of racism.
"Growth of racism "that old chestnut , more like people coming to terms with reality , Firle really is a place so out of touch with reality, its like living in fantasy land
regards
DR

"Growth of racism "that old chestnut , more like people coming to terms with reality , Firle really is a place so out of touch with reality, its like living in fantasy land
regards
DR

You speak as if Firle is a village without people from ethnic minorities. You're wrong. I'll concede, though, that it's a reasonably harmonious community to live in.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
while you make an excellent point on the state of Islam, its still irrational to fear an entire culture who for the most part just get on with their day to day and whose cultrual practices dont interfere with any one. as someone who works with a number of muslims it really doesnt make an iota of difference, except ramadan when they are a bit tide and tetchy (and im like that every Monday).

I think that may be a little complacent. Islamic blasphemy law is in place in the UK and supposedly having a foreign policy that is deemed unacceptable results in carnage. Cultural practises combined with religious teaching encode segregation of men and women and subjugation of women within some Muslim communities. Marrying a non believer is culturally unacceptable, leaving the religion is unacceptable, homosexuality unacceptable,atheism unacceptable. Some of their cultural/religious practises do not interfere with non believers lives but are still completely at odds with the values of this country.

On an anecdotal level I have also worked with Muslims. One a highly educated professional who was one of the nicest kindest people I have ever met. But he openly admitted if either of his children decided to marry a non muslim or leave the faith he would disown them. He also had a tendency to see Israel's hand in any problem facing the Muslim world. Another otherwise decent man who had arrived from Algeria via France was overtly anti Semitic. I am not saying they are representative but they did bring home to me what damage some cultural/religious influences can have.

I like the individuals but dislike any culture/religion that deems it necessary for people in 21st century Britain to go down on their knees praying to an imaginary being.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It's all about timing, Powell's speech was delivered in different times, move forward 14 years to Easter Saturday 1981 the day after the first riot in Brixton and you would have said he was bang on, now I'm not so sure, it's not about that anymore, the enemy you can see is a far easier fight than the one you can't.
People of a certain age including myself remember the conflict with the IRA in the 70 and 80's, this lot make Gerry Adams and co look like the Boy Scouts.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It's all about timing, Powell's speech was delivered in different times, move forward 14 years to Easter Saturday 1981 the day after the first riot in Brixton and you would have said he was bang on, now I'm not so sure, it's not about that anymore, the enemy you can see is a far easier fight than the one you can't.
People of a certain age including myself remember the conflict with the IRA in the 70 and 80's, this lot make Gerry Adams and co look like the Boy Scouts.

Really, the Brixton riots were born out of the Met Police and their extreme attitude to young black people and SUS law

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What a stupid post -you know exactly what was meant. So do you think that future conflict can be avoided?

It wasn't a stupid post at all. Where is the evidence that Christianity is lining up its members to take on the Muslims? The vast majority of decent Muslim people in this country (aand elsewhere) will find what has happened in France just as appalling as the rest of us do, and decent Christian people would be enormously sympathetic to them.

Jan 30, 2008
tell that to the relatives of the people they murdered :nono:
regards
DR

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You speak as if Firle is a village without people from ethnic minorities. You're wrong. I'll concede, though, that it's a reasonably harmonious community to live in.

Good God, LB! When I were a lad, w**s began a Calais. Have the w**s now colonised as far as Firle? We are doomed.

Doomed, I tell you, doomed!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How many people do you kill with a saw bladed knife on an average Monday?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Having lived through that period and with a shop in Wandsworth I don't see how anyone could claim he was "bang on".

He wasn't predicting riots by the immigrant population - quite the contrary, he foresaw the native population rising up against the immigrant population. It was this aspect of his speech that caused calls for his prosecution as incitement to violence and led to a number of incidents where immigrants were attacked.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Couple of caravans on the outskirts of the village do not count.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here