Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber's transfer "insight"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nothing wrong with that article imo but I just can't warm to the guy. Doesn't mean he's not doing a good job though.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Derby , they are going shit or BUST this season

They did that last season didn't they? Just maybe they are willing to lose a fortune whilst planning to make a massively bigger one?

Very exciting times to be a Derby fan

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It would seem many of us give him very little choice.

Exactly. The correlation between those more inclined to show a more sycophantic appreciation of his usual tough guy drivel, and those on here likely to have a slightly lower of critical thinking appears to be extremely high in many cases. He knows his target audience and pitches it accordingly.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They did that last season didn't they? Just maybe they are willing to lose a fortune whilst planning to make a massively bigger one?

Very exciting times to be a Derby fan
Don't remember Derby making many significant transfers last summer; they just built on a strong finish to the previous season didn't they?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Derby would appear to be doing their shopping by sniffing around the 10-15 clubs that make up the hidden division that is the bottom bit of the Premier League and the top bit of the Championship.

It's understandable why, but to me it really smacks of a complete lack imagination.

The moment they lost out on promotion, they must have just sat in front of BBC Saturday night from 10:45 to 11:30 and yes/no players as their names were mentioned.
Then dusted off their chequebook and went shopping.

It's not as if any of the players featured then are world beaters, and the one fact you can guarantee is they will cost, a lot.

Not to mention the fact it's been tried plenty of times before and I'm struggling to think of a single time when it's worked, and certainly not in the medium to long term.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just because you're one of the enlightened ones, that does not mean everyone else has that save level of understanding.

As I said above - there are plenty on NSC who are eagerly waiting to see the club spend £5m up front on a striker as a signal of intent.

There are definite advantages of a marquee signing. For example, the positive impact on current / prospective players, as well as the fan-base. Don't knock it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Don't remember Derby making many significant transfers last summer; they just built on a strong finish to the previous season didn't they?

The fees they must have paid on loans, admittedly later in the season, would have been very high. Bent, Lingard and Ince, all on Premier League wages?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There are definite advantages of a marquee signing. For example, the positive impact on current / prospective players, as well as the fan-base. Don't knock it.

I agree with our point re the advantages ...but personally didn't think Bozza was knocking it.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Bobby Zamora is a FREE transfer. Why cant we compete for his singingnature??

I was upset when Wayne Bridge went, he gave a good talk about being happy in life and staying, we aparetnly went to out upper limit about £10k a week (he was on about £80K from Man City), QPR offered about £22K and then Reading went £32K a week, so off he trotts, he then plays 12 games for them and retires due to injury (expensive for them).

So a lot of factors come into play, however much I love Bobby, will his agent (who is on his last paycheque with him) accept him being on the lower wage end (he was reportedly on £80K a week at QPR) and a contract that includes any injures/retirement, and Bobby has had repeated injuries.

Or is the club more pragmatic and looks for new younger blood, I would love to sign him but it aint as easy as ringing him up and going come to us for free because we both love each other. If that was the case he would never have left.

I think we are doing well and have a good balance this year with signings so far, the end of transfer window will be when we can judge if we cocked it up with the squad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Oh, I won't, which is why I've been a keen advocate of the return of Zamora because after last season't turgid mess, I think he would give (most of) the fanbase a really big lift.

That's not what we're talking about though.

It's the mindset that we MUST spend gazillions of pounds and if we don't we're doing it on the cheap / not ambitious / have given up on promotion - delete as applicable.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The fees they must have paid on loans, admittedly later in the season, would have been very high. Bent, Lingard and Ince, all on Premier League wages?

That is true - The only major signing in the summer was George Thorne, rumoured to be £2m ish but yes the loans must have been expensive. Raul Albentosa was a few hundred grand as well.

Lingard was mostly gash btw.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Good Lord. I find it quite funny how hard people try to find things to complain about.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, I won't, which is why I've been a keen advocate of the return of Zamora because after last season't turgid mess, I think he would give (most of) the fanbase a really big lift.

That's not what we're talking about though.

It's the mindset that we MUST spend gazillions of pounds and if we don't we're doing it on the cheap / not ambitious / have given up on promotion - delete as applicable.

OK, fair enough. I agree that Bobby would bring a much-needed lift to our beloved club. Not a cheap option, but I can genuinely see sense in his signing, despite the drawbacks. Maybe COG would have to be moved on first...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bobby Zamora is a FREE transfer. Why cant we compete for his singingnature??

I would hope it is because there are better options available. Well, there should be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here