Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lukaku - Retrospective Action

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Seriously, forgetting the build up to this. How the HELL can he get away with that?

This wasn't a controversial stamp/no stamp, dangerous play/accidental, dive/contact, elbow/forearm debate here.

He tried to kick Bong twice and succeeded at the second attempt. If Bong had gone down in agony like 99% of other players would have done it would have been a free-kick and maybe a ban. But because he chose to stand up and defend for his team it's nothing and the Man United player gets away with it.

Mind boggling decision.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Consistent? Yes, Barton found not guilty of stamping, Stephens' appeal summarily rejected, Hemed found guilty quicker than the FA have ever previously moved in history, and Lukaku found not guilty of kicking a Brighton player when he clearly did... ... ... ... hmmmm ... ... ... I would say there's definitely a pattern emerging there.

Don't forget Murphy's slip which was more baffling than any of the above. I think that will remain the lad's one and only sending off in his career.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't forget Murphy's slip which was more baffling than any of the above. I think that will remain the lad's one and only sending off in his career.

I had forgotten that - time's a great healer, eh? But you're quite right, it's another example of a consistent pattern.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
As others say it doesn't matter to us whether Lukaku gets a ban or not, but how the F can the independent panel of refs ban Tomer Hemed for a step on a player and not punish Lukaku for a double kick out off the ball? I know we will never get an answer.

But what really upsets me, is that I find myself agreeing with this prick
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...melu-Lukaku-banned-kick-says-Graham-Poll.html

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Is there a way the club can ask for further details on the panels decision. Nothing will change but at least they should make their feelings felt.

The inconsistency is frustrating, but why should the club get involved? It could be construed that the club are trying to get Lukaku banned; that may not help our cause should we want to loan one of Man U's players someday.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There's a potential broader issue at play here (and by all accounts call me a conspiracy theorist).

When the ref missed it panel (hereafter RMIP) was introduced at the start of the season, it had to be seen to be a success. Therefore the rulings on players such as Hemed vindicate the decision to set up the RMIP, and so the ban was given to great fanfare.

At present the EPL are in discussions with broadcasters in relation to a new TV deal, commencing 2019/20. Clearly they want the best price, for a competitive product. It will not help negotiations if City effectively have the league sown up by mid December, which there is a danger of happening (United's next three fixtures are Watford and Arsenal away, and City at home).

Personally I thought Lukaku stank the pitch out on Saturday, but, overall, I suspect he would be more of an asset than a liability if available for those three fixtures. There could be 'soft' pressure put on the RMIP by both the EPL and broadcasters to give Lukaku the benefit of the doubt over Saturday's act of petulance, as otherwise it increases the (already high) probability of City walking away with the league relatively early, with implications for viewing figures and the TV deal.

I'm off to the grassy knoll now, with evidence that the moon landings were fake.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The inconsistency is frustrating, but why should the club get involved? It could be construed that the club are trying to get Lukaku banned; that may not help our cause should we want to loan one of Man U's players someday.

The club didn't get involved in the first place (as far as I know), and they can't appeal or "get Lukaku banned".

All they can do is ask for clarification, which is entirely reasonable.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
There's a potential broader issue at play here (and by all accounts call me a conspiracy theorist).

When the ref missed it panel (hereafter RMIP) was introduced at the start of the season, it had to be seen to be a success. Therefore the rulings on players such as Hemed vindicate the decision to set up the RMIP, and so the ban was given to great fanfare.

At present the EPL are in discussions with broadcasters in relation to a new TV deal, commencing 2019/20. Clearly they want the best price, for a competitive product. It will not help negotiations if City effectively have the league sown up by mid December, which there is a danger of happening (United's next three fixtures are Watford and Arsenal away, and City at home).

Personally I thought Lukaku stank the pitch out on Saturday, but, overall, I suspect he would be more of an asset than a liability if available for those three fixtures. There could be 'soft' pressure put on the RMIP by both the EPL and broadcasters to give Lukaku the benefit of the doubt over Saturday's act of petulance, as otherwise it increases the (already high) probability of City walking away with the league relatively early, with implications for viewing figures and the TV deal.

I'm off to the grassy knoll now, with evidence that the moon landings were fake.

Benefit of what doubt? Is there really any doubt about what Lukaku was trying to do?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
How many minutes of watching the following gif does it take for you to see that Lukaku didn't mean it and it was all just bantz?

I'm on 1037 and counting...

[tweet]935167019468644356[/tweet]

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
This decision is dire, niasse gets a two game ban when contact is made, Lukaku gets away with it despite trying to assault someone but failing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I see where you are coming from, but, think back a few years when Man Utd were winning the Premiership year after year nothing was ever allowed to derail the mighty Man U and they boringly won title after title. Was it 6 years between an away team winning a penalty against Utd at old Trafford ? They got away with so much and that's before the famous " Fergie Time " is thrown in to the mix.

I think the truth is that the Beeb has only just got over the trauma of when Fergusson used to refuse interviews with the BBC and gave them all the cold shoulder. I think Jose is of the same mould and would not take kindly to MOTD pundits getting his star player banned retrospectively and therefore creating another long term spat. I think the BBC experts have just thought it's not worth the risk.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
To me there's no denying that it is an odd decision that no action will be taken - if any significant physical contact had been made it could have been quite nasty. But on the positive side, Bong did not wail and whine like a three year old at the time of the incident, and our manager has not used it as an excuse for a public post match moan-fest (like someone I could mention). Both have behaved with impeccable professionalism, and I find that quite refreshing.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

There will be no action taken against Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku for allegedly kicking out at Brighton defender Gaetan Bong.

The alleged incident happened in United's 1-0 win on Saturday, but was not seen by referee Neil Swarbrick.

alleged/allegedly?

Lukaku1.gif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To me there's no denying that it is an odd decision that no action will be taken - if any significant physical contact had been made it could have been quite nasty. But on the positive side, Bong did not wail and whine like a three year old at the time of the incident, and our manager has not used it as an excuse for a public post match moan-fest (like someone I could mention). Both have behaved with impeccable professionalism, and I find that quite refreshing.

This.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Joke

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here