Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have you ever shouted abuse at an Albion player

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I have to confess that I did shout at Mark Farrington (several times).

Simply the worst player to don the stripes! I think I even jeered him when he scored in the south stand goal at the Goldstone. Having been consistently dire he somehow managed to shin a cross in and then turned round and went on a run displaying a Shearer like salute suggesting he was a world beater.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ryan Harley at Reading. Completely lost it with him. I went right down to the front to make sure he heard me. Also CMS at the Amex. I lost my temper big time but I was in WSU so it was ultimately futile but still very cathartic.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not really an abuser of players, but in my younger, less tolerant, days I may have had a go (from a safe distance back in the west stand, of course!) at Dale Jasper. He appeared to have modelled his style of play on Butch Wilkins - only ever pass sideways or back and never more than ten yards. Only he passed to players on the other side..........

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Harley at Millwall. Utterly embarrassing display and the worst penalty I’ve ever seen from a player in the stripes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yeah we grumbled at players all the time back at the goldstone, but it is all a lot more positive these days. Remember getting very annoyed with David Cameron at hull, and at zamora of all people when he got sent off somewhere (lincoln?), and the whole lot of them in an early game at withdean when we worked for over an hour to get an equaliser against Plymouth only to concede again within a minute.

But it was mainly Codner. Always Codner

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Richie Barker, one of the worst players to don the stripes. A pork chop upfront would have scored more. So crap he became cult when there were a million other candidates too.

I also remember taking a mackem friend to Chester away who wearing his red and white stripes tore a strip off Farrington for lazy play so loudly and harshly that the player looked shocked and more than once looked over his shoulder jogging back to the centre circle. Several Albion fans around us, more used to Farringtons utter gash like performances, applauded and agreed “well said” etc. Did make me chuckle that a neutral fan but one that at least expected effort regardless got so stuck into one of our players. And so rapid fire in his NE mackem tones, Farrington looked genuienly shocked. Obviously it was completely fair comment too...! :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
OK. Apologies, new here. Some may say, JCL etc. etc.......often lurked on here over the years, but never joined as it seems there is a fair amount of intimidation to new joiners. To put that in perspective, that may well be deserved.

I'm not a hardcore fan. I have the utmost respect for those that are. My life has been way too busy to dedicate an entire day of the week to football.

But this thread has really struck a chord with me, and would like to add a view. My old man was a season ticket holder in the 70s and 80s. I went to my first game, in 1979. Against Liverpool. I think we lost 1-4.

Back to the original post, I found the language and the abuse at players simply shocking. As a 9 year old, it made me not want to go back.

The old man's answer? 'They are paid a lot of money to do a job, son'.

Put me off for watching the game live for a long time. Yeah, you could call me an old age snowflake.

But been a few times recently, and it's an amazing experience. My daughter is a massive fan of the club now.

Before abuse is directed at anyone - check who is around you. Especially if there are children.

Welcome, in my defence I have never used the C word when shouting at refs, linos and players. That does make cringe when used with women and children around, which there nearly always are.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ryan Harley at Reading. Completely lost it with him. I went right down to the front to make sure he heard me. Also CMS at the Amex. I lost my temper big time but I was in WSU so it was ultimately futile but still very cathartic.

I’d forgotten about CMS, who was the most infuriatingly useless player in recent times at ball control. It was so hard not to shout at him as a promising move broke down as he struggled to bring the ball under control.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Richie Barker, one of the worst players to don the stripes. A pork chop upfront would have scored more. So crap he became cult when there were a million other candidates too.

I also remember taking a mackem friend to Chester away who wearing his red and white stripes tore a strip off Farrington for lazy play so loudly and harshly that the player looked shocked and more than once looked over his shoulder jogging back to the centre circle. Several Albion fans around us, more used to Farringtons utter gash like performances, applauded and agreed “well said” etc. Did make me chuckle that a neutral fan but one that at least expected effort regardless got so stuck into one of our players. And so rapid fire in his NE mackem tones, Farrington looked genuienly shocked. Obviously it was completely fair comment too...! :)

Barker eventually turned into a more than decent striker for us after an inauspicious start. Once he shed a bit of weight, got match fit and scored his first goal he was very good.

Him and Hart supplied my Rodney Thomas were a dangerous front pairing.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Barker eventually turned into a more than decent striker for us after an inauspicious start. Once he shed a bit of weight, got match fit and scored his first goal he was very good.

Him and Hart supplied my Rodney Thomas were a dangerous front pairing.

Jeff Minton also gave us some quality in those dark times.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Akpom last season was the last time.
Many other times over the years.
Akpom is one of very few that have driven me close to it. ..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I once shouted at Spanish Dave (during one of his particularly lethargic displays) to "at least look like you're f**king trying".

Two minutes later he beat a man, bent in a cross and we scored. So clearly it worked.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
During the Gillingham years, I remember Jamie Moralee, who had had a good career with Millwall and Watford before, putting little effort in.

I remember shouting "If you put half as much effort in as you do sh@ggi@g Daniella Westbrook, we wouldn't be in this much trouble" He looked up half heartedly with no expression.

Terrible two years at the Pissfield.

Maybe the fact he had to sh*g Daniela Westbrook was the problem. She isn’t great.
As a side note I use to go out with Jamie morralees cousin. Not a great claim to fame, I give you, but it’s all I’ve got

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe the fact he had to sh*g Daniela Westbrook was the problem. She isn’t great.
As a side note I use to go out with Jamie morralees cousin. Not a great claim to fame, I give you, but it’s all I’ve got

Was she lethargic?

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Knowing what it was like as a player plus the fact my dad moans so much I refuse to shout at players. Do people really think players are out there to play badly. They are either having a bad game, out of their depth or following instructions. The number that are not performing otherwise(just taking the money) is negligible. Possibly in the lower divisions yes.
Ido admit though that I am regularly slagging off fans around me that lay into players. It is a bug bear of mine that there are some so called die hards who see attending the majority of games as the right of passage to slag who they want whenever and however. I love it when the player getting their gripe does something good and I make sure they know.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here