Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong in todays Argus RE: Jose

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just think if he was Ashley Barnes he probably would have walked off.

Or at points through their Albion careers:-

Skalak.
Murphy.
Bong.
Ryan.
Duffy.
Hemed.

and that's just the current squad, not including the obvious name I always miss.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I suspect that where he has played previously singing a subs name means that the crowd want him on. He needs to understand that the subs names are sung simply to show support to the whole squad.

I love the Connor Goldson song and the support it shows for what he's been through, but it doesn't mean I want Dunk substituted.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
He wouldn't have been the first to make that mistake if he did.

Get the feeling Jose's the kind of player who thrives on encouragement, so let's get behind the lad.

"There is just no way you'll stop Jose
La la la la la la la la la,

(To the tune of Do You Know The Way To San Jose?)

EDIT - 'There is just no way you'll stop Jose
La la la la la IZQUIERDO!'

Or how about -

"Jose, Jose Izquierdo,
When he scores one, just don't touch the hairdo."

(To the chorus of "Copacabana")

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It's a 'no shit Sherlock' comment I know, but players are only human. Jose probably isn't familiar with some of our more British traditions, like singing sub's names when they're warming up, and may well have got the ref booing thing wrong. So what if he's more sensitive than some players as well, at least it shows he cares, good on him. He'll come to realise, like most of the players who've put on the stripes, that by and large we're a decent, fair and passionate bunch of fans. People talk about JCLs and the good old days of yore but I'll tell you something that is a fact, there was far more abuse and negativity towards our players from sections of The Goldstone back in the day than there has ever been at Withdean and The Amex, Barnes included.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Seems that some of the senior players [Murray, Knockaert...] need to explain to Jose that singing subs songs is supportive of the squad and not a criticism of the players on the pitch. Hopefully he'll hear his name sung when he's on the bench sometime. AK has had his share of groans lately and would be good if he's shared that with Jose.
A 'song for Jose' competition anyone? but don't mention the hair thing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's a 'no shit Sherlock' comment I know, but players are only human. Jose probably isn't familiar with some of our more British traditions, like singing sub's names when they're warming up, and may well have got the ref booing thing wrong. So what if he's more sensitive than some players as well, at least it shows he cares, good on him. He'll come to realise, like most of the players who've put on the stripes, that by and large we're a decent, fair and passionate bunch of fans. People talk about JCLs and the good old days of yore but I'll tell you something that is a fact, there was far more abuse and negativity towards our players from sections of The Goldstone back in the day than there has ever been at Withdean and The Amex, Barnes included.

Yeah, but neither ground had to suffer Codner :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, but neither ground had to suffer Codner :lolol:

I think I was in a very small minority that actually liked Codner, but he got more abuse than Wendy Wilkins and pretty well any Albion player I’ve ever seen :shrug:

I reserved my Goldstone abuse for Nicky Rust after he came back from injury. I”m sure he was a ringer when he came back :lolol;

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Yay at last now when I boo a Brighton player, trying his hardest for the team I love, I can actually have an impact.
All the others players I've consistently booed, over the years, have seemed to ignore me.

As usual, we really can be shite (home) fans.

How? no one booed him.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think I was in a very small minority that actually liked Codner, but he got more abuse than Wendy Wilkins and pretty well any Albion player I’ve ever seen :shrug:

I reserved my Goldstone abuse for Nicky Rust after he came back from injury. I”m sure he was a ringer when he came back :lolol;

Codner's problem was that his body language made him look as if he didn't care, whether he did or not.

Next time Izquierdo finds himself on the bench at the Amex and starts warming up to cheers it might dawn on him that most of us love the present squad and are right behind them. He played at West Ham, so he knows what a home crowd getting on a team's back really sounds like ...

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Yay at last now when I boo a Brighton player, trying his hardest for the team I love, I can actually have an impact.
All the others players I've consistently booed, over the years, have seemed to ignore me.

As usual, we really can be shite (home) fans.

Sorry Stat Bro but I don't think we are shit home fans at all. The vast (and I mean vast) majority are supportive of the team and individual players all the time. There can be the occasional groan (guilty as charged), but I have never heard any sustained abuse of team or player since the dark, dark days of Sami.

Yes there will always be people who pay their money to go and moan but at least in the NW corner they are hard to spot.

Well done Brighton home support and Jose I am sorry if you have mis-interprated our support. I thought you were brill.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sorry Stat Bro but I don't think we are shit home fans at all. The vast (and I mean vast) majority are supportive of the team and individual players all the time. There can be the occasional groan (guilty as charged), but I have never heard any sustained abuse of team or player since the dark, dark days of Sami.

Yes there will always be people who pay their money to go and moan but at least in the NW corner they are hard to spot.

Well done Brighton home support and Jose I am sorry if you have mis-interprated our support. I thought you were brill.

I believe there may have been the very slightest whiff of sarcasm in Stat Brothers post :blush:

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012

Even the bloke who sits a couple of rows behind me in the NW corner has laid off his relentless Bong whinging this season.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Jose Izquierdo,la,la,la,la,la as in 'Brown girl in the ring/we are Liverpool would suffice. Easy to learn and get going.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It was probably boos for Bong and he has deflected the criticism onto Izqiuerdo.
Another reason to not like Bong.. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I believe there may have been the very slightest whiff of sarcasm in Stat Brothers post :blush:

It's the best kind of sarcasm, dripping with the truth!

Those 'occasional groans' are very audible in the ESL, I'm not entirely sure I';m in a position to point the finger, either.
But worse than that they are targeted.

Murray can do no wrong, Tomer can do no right, much the can be said of Knockaert v all the other wingers.
Sadly I wasn't able to go to the Stoke game, but if he received 'occasional groans', he certainly got the equivalent and some on here, then he would have heard them and may well have been effected by them.

I thought he played really well and most of the time looked like our only threat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here